HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

So, is this what adhesions feel like? So, is this what adhesions feel like?

Unread 08-15-2011, 04:17 PM
So, is this what adhesions feel like?

Backstory: 2007- c-section, 2008- c-section, 2010- d&c for severe bleeding, 2010- hysterectomy (all out except ovaries) for the bleeding and found endometriosis, 2011- lap for what doc thought were adhesions but ended up having endometriosis on ovaries and appendicitis so appendix removed. Now, I was certain I just had cysts on ovaries because of my pain returning but u/s showed none. Doc thinks endo again possibly but maybe adhesions. I am having constant pain in lower abdomen and lower back and several times a day I get horrible sharp pains that remind me of the pains I'd get after my c- sections if I moved and stretched to fast and my healing incision would pull except the pain is deeper now and hurts WAY worse!! Any advice or stories would be great! I'm so fed up and tired of all of this!! Thank!
Unread 08-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Re: So, is this what adhesions feel like?

The pain you are in sounds like the pain I had before surgery due to my endo. I haven't had those pains since my hyst and I had everything removed. Upon removal, my doc said I had damage to uterus, both ovaries and the endo had grown inside my fallopian tubes and they were "disfigured" and one of them was 100% blocked. Prior to surgery, my pain was SO bad it was daily and it ranged from dull aches to severe-stabbing pains. The pain was in my lower abdomen and back. When they did the ultrasound before surgery, it showed both ovaries were covered w/cysts but by surgery time, when they were in there, the ovaries (although damaged) were not as bad as they thought. I realized then that an ultrasound isn't always what it appears to be.

You know your body and you know the pain you are in...get the help you need...this is not just in your head.
Unread 08-15-2011, 07:30 PM

I didn't have shooting pains with the adhesions, it was more "things stuck" type problems. i.e. To burp I had to manipulate my abdomen, if I didn't, one spot would fill with gas and cause great pain, and adhesions to my bladder made it hard to empty and caused many bladder infections.

It was a bit difficult to diagnose adhesions for me, because it mimicked digestive problems.

During surgery they found upper intestines adhered to my colon, bowel adhered for inches in an upright position, and multiple small spots.
Unread 08-15-2011, 07:49 PM

I had adhesions removed on July 20th that were adhered to my bowels and left ovary. It started at my belly button and went all the way down gluing everything together. This is from a tubal I had in 1989 and since then have felt like I had someone pulling on my belly button. Then a year ago I developed a left side pain that hurt to even ride in the car. It felt like it was just under my rib cage and into my back. It was as if there was a hard baseball lodged in there but you just couldn't feel it on the outside no matter how hard you tried because it was just too deep. After much discussion with my OB/GYN prior to surgery I decided to leave my left ovary if possible because I didn't want to be on hormones. I still have my left side pain even after the hysterectomy and now my OB/GYN tells me that it's possible I will now need to have that ovary removed so the left side pain can be taken care of. I would describe my pain as constant too but just not as severe pain all of the time. There are definitely things I do that make it worse though. I also agree with INVA in her posting above where she mentions it mimicking digestive issues. We also expected to find endometriosis but there was none.... just adhesions along with a thickened endo, cyst, and polyps.
Best of luck to ya!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.