HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Strange smells after surgery Strange smells after surgery

Unread 08-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Question - Strange smells after surgery Strange smells after surgery

I had an ovary removed in June 2010. Since then I have noticed a significant change in my body odor and 'womanly' smells. My body odor has become much more difficult to control, I am constantly reapplying deoderant. Trying different brands and strengths has done little to help. My urine now has a strong amounia smell, so much so that even after I've flushed you can still smell it in the bathroom. I've increased my fluids yet nothing changes. I've also noticed a difference in the scent of my vaginal discharge. Right after my period I smell normal, but the further along I go through my cycle the more it begins to smell. Just before my period I think it down right stinks. I've been to the Dr. I don't have a UTI or yeast infection. She says that only having one ovary removed would not cause any of these changes, but they started very soon after my surgery and she can't offer me any causes for these problems, much less solutions. Any thoughts? Thank you!
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:31 PM
Re: Strange smells after surgery

Hi mccartneys82 and

I don't think that what you describe would be a result of having an ovary removed, and if I were you I would ask your doctor for a referral to another medical professional. Urine smelling like ammonia doesn't sound normal to me. Perhaps a visit to a urologist would be beneficial.

Best wishes,
Unread 08-19-2011, 09:34 AM
Re: Strange smells after surgery

I had my right ovary removed in 2000 and I had almost the exact same experience. I ended up having to switch to the "clinical Strength" deoderant. I had to change my perfume, because my favorite scent smelled horrible on me. I smelled different to my partner, and I was very offended by my "womanly smells". This continued and it never changed. I had my other ovary removed 2 weeks ago and I am noticing that the smell issues are gone now. I smell like I used to, and was even able to switch back to some of my old products. It's soooooo weird.

I also, incidentally, had alot of other changes after my first ovary was removed. My hair changed texture, thickness and color. My tastes for food changed, and I developed a very strong sense of smell. I also stopped sleeping well. Hormones can do all sorts of weird things to your body,

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.