HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

When does menopause start after a partial hysterectomy. When does menopause start after a partial hysterectomy.

Unread 08-24-2011, 10:23 PM
When does menopause start after a partial hysterectomy.

Hello- :I had a partial hysterectomy on Aug 12 I had heavy bleeding for three weeks at a time, migraines that sent to ER every 6 weeks-tried all kinds of migraines meds and apparently from the excessive throwing up gave myself a hiatal hernia with an abundous of acid reflux. Thank you for the board for preparing me for the yuk stuff they gave me for my acid reflux. Due to the heavy cramping I ended up with 5 different doctors view. Since I couldnt take progesterone anymore two out of the 5 doctors said I was at high risk for developing uterine cancer since I wasnt ovulating at 44 and for some strange reason provera and all the birthcontrol pills in the book were giving me cripling migraines. The heads of the gynecological departments were telling me this was a good option. The 4th doctor wasnt taking GHI I was ready to pay 20,000$out of pocket which would include the anestheologist. because they wouldnt take my insurance.. Luckily I was given names of other doctors just as good by the hospital staff.Well then I did a partial hysterectomy. Unfortunately headaches are still around. I dont know if it was because of the mini period I had for like 5 days it was orange looking. The greatest part was I took Fiorocet which is caffeine, butalbin and Tylenol and it was working. I took two maxalt. I do see a neurologist who gave me an antidepressant at night for the migraines. Im becoming healthier. Tough decision. The only thing is I am worried about is menopause when will the hotflashes come. I dont have cancer so I suppose I can take estrogen. My moms surgeon said it comes after a year. Im worried
Unread 08-26-2011, 09:57 PM
Re: When does menopause start after a partial hysterectomy.

Nina -

A partial hysterectomy means they took your uterus but left your cervix. So it sounds like they left your ovaries.

If that is the case some say you will go into menopause a little earlier than normal but otherwise it should be in your 50's.

If by partial hysterectomy you mean an oopherectomy your ovaries were removed, in that case you technically went into menopause the moment your ovaries were removed. For natural menopause it is 12 months after you have had your last period, well if your ovaries are removed you won't have periods anymore so you are in menopause.

You might not be symptomatic, ie having hot flashes and such, because your body may still have some estrogen. You may never become symptomatic, some lucky sisters don't.

I hope this helps. Check out the Hormone menu (see the menu bar in blue above) and the hormone forums for additional information.

There are also spme videos on Menopause and Hormones. See the Hormone menu section and the Surgical Menopause category.

Unread 08-27-2011, 12:02 AM

If you still have your ovaries (as I do), all three of the doctors I consulted before surgery told me that there is no evidence that the hysterectomy causes you to go into menopause any earlier than you would naturally. It's the removal of the ovaries that triggers surgical menopause. I'm 46, and my doctors figure I've got another 4-5 years before I'll go into menopause.
Unread 08-27-2011, 08:21 AM

I kept my ovaries and have had some extreme hot flashes.
Unread 08-27-2011, 11:52 AM

You may not of had a mini period either. That could of been from your surgery. Your post was just 12 days post op.

Check back in we would like to know how you are doing!!
Unread 08-27-2011, 02:41 PM

I have both my ovaries and started getting hot flashes after I got home.
Unread 08-27-2011, 05:38 PM

Thank you guys it took me a while to get my password but thank you I dont feel so alone - At first when I did the partial I got to tell you I was worried but headaches are around but not so intense anymore. It has only been two weeks but I am glad I kept my my ovaries and cervix. I do get the hot flashes. Since my progesterone is low I am worried about hormone balance. I will check out the hormone forums thanks you all. Can I ask you guys why do they say dont pick up anything for 6 weeks. I guess since everythings trying to heal right?
Unread 08-27-2011, 10:53 PM

Nina

Correct, if you pick things up that are too heavy while you are trying to heal a variety of things can happen including hernias.

Sometimes your ovaries can go into shock after the surgery and you can experience hormonal issues like hot flashes. Hopefully those will subside or you might need some hormones until they kick back in.

Unread 08-27-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenchurch42 View Post
If you still have your ovaries (as I do), all three of the doctors I consulted before surgery told me that there is no evidence that the hysterectomy causes you to go into menopause any earlier than you would naturally. It's the removal of the ovaries that triggers surgical menopause. I'm 46, and my doctors figure I've got another 4-5 years before I'll go into menopause.
HI,
'I agree with you. My doctor told me the same thing. I still have my ovaries and cervix because they are all healthy. He said I will not begin menopause until I'm in my 50's so I have quite a few years to go. I've been through the hot flashes already due to taking a Lupron Depot shot. So when menopause actually does come, I'm prepared.
Unread 08-28-2011, 02:24 PM

I was told I already have a hiatal hernia geez I dont need another one. thank you for all your help..

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.