HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Shrinking the uterus Shrinking the uterus

Unread 08-31-2011, 02:56 PM
Shrinking the uterus

I saw my surgeon this week who plans to shrink the size of my uterus pre operatively by giving a monthly injection. Once the uterus is of a size to be operated on by laparoscope he will go ahead and operate.

So I was just wondering- has anyone else here experienced these injections which apparently have a menopausal effect? Just wondered what it was like and what to expect etc.
Unread 08-31-2011, 03:13 PM
Re: Shrinking the uterus

Hi Rosierose. I had one depo Lupron injection about a month prior to my surgery to shrink the uterus. The only side effect was that I had trouble sleeping - my doctor prescribed a hormone that could be taken orally until the surgery and that helped a lot. I did not have hot flashes, or any other menopausal symptoms from the injection.
Unread 08-31-2011, 03:20 PM

Thanks- this is really helpful
Unread 08-31-2011, 04:20 PM

Hi RoseRose,
I had a Lupron shot once a month for the last 3 months to shrink my uterus and large fibroids. I go in for surgery on Friday. The Lupron shot worked for me. My fibroids have shrunk so hopefully I will be able to have a LAVH. I have side effects such as hot flashes and sleepless nights but I can deal with that just to know that it is doing what it is suppose to do. Good luck on your shots!!
Unread 08-31-2011, 04:59 PM

I tried Lupron at the beginning of the year but the doc said that it was a failure. Apparently it didn't shrink mine or help any of the pain/bleeding problems. I didn't stick with it due to having my issues then adding all the menopause symptoms that came at me. Oh and I got it right after a Lap, so I had surgery pain, nothing like what's coming now though. For some people it works, I was just in the unlucky 10%.
Unread 09-01-2011, 12:46 AM

Thanks for this- very helpful.Good luc k on Friday Beachblues
Unread 09-01-2011, 01:26 AM

I had no luck with Lupron, but my fibroids are legendary. I still bled heavily, and had no benefits.However, my fibroid was about the size of a softball and my uterus was about 4 months swollen- I suspect it was asking too much of the Lupron. I never had side effects, though, so I could appreciate that, though I did notice my hands and feet weren't cold anymore!
It is a shot in the buttock, apparently some women balk at that but it wasn't terribly painful.Good luck, I hope it works out for you!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.