HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Can someone tell me what our Testosterone levels are supposed to be at? Can someone tell me what our Testosterone levels are supposed to be at?

Unread 09-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Can someone tell me what our Testosterone levels are supposed to be at?

My doctor (Internist) wanted me to go off my Testosterone cream (it is compounded so applied on my inner thigh and it is the lowest dose) because he thought it was increasing my cholesterol.

He ran a test on my Testosterone level and it showed 11 which came up abnormal and that it should be between 20-70. I don't know if this is a woman's normal or a man's and he is on vacation so can't ask. I wander if I call another compounding pharmacy if they could help me more. It seems I need to increase my testosterone not go off of it. I called my local pharmacy and asked them about the level I am on increasing cholesterol and it was like talking to a brick wall. They said they had no idea, now it worries me that they are making my testosterone but can't tell me anything about the dose and cholesterol levels. I would think they would have the knowledge to answer that question. I see my Gyn in two weeks but want to be armed with questions for her before I go.

Any input would help me or if someone knows another person or pharmacy I can call. Cincinnati is so behind as far as hormone levels go and helping women after a hysterectomy. I think they think it is a one size fits all situation and I have been to several doctor's here for help. thanks
Unread 09-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Re: Can someone tell me what our Testosterone levels are supposed to be at?

Call your DR's office and ask them to fax you a copy of the actual test results from the lab - you are entitled to this information for your records. The lab results will cite that lab's "reference ranges", which are ranges of levels that they compare your results to. Then you will be able to tell whether they are comparing you to a woman's or a man's levels and whether or not yours is normal.

No one can tell you without blood tests whether or not using testosterone is increasing your lipid levels and by how much - everyone's body is unique and metabolizes hormones at different rates. If your doctor thinks using testosterone is increasing your LDL - and it very well may be - then ask for a lipid profile to see where you are and if it's a problem or not.

You'd be wasting your time calling pharmacies and doctors, etc asking different people what *your* body is doing - your own doctor is the best person to help you with that since he has access to your test results. If you don't have confidence in your doctor, find another one.

My experience is that all major cities have doctors and clinics which can help us, you just have to find them. Cincinnati would be no exception.

s,
-Linda
Unread 09-01-2011, 04:40 PM

Linda - I do have all my results in front of me that is why I am questioning it. It says Testosterone level is 11 and the normal range is 20-70 but it doesn't say if that is normal for women or men. I guess I will have to assume it is a women's range or maybe I can locate the lab number that sent it to me and call. I just thought someone could be nice if they have had their's tested and tell my what shows as a normal range for women in general. I know what all mine are reading.

I think you misunderstood my question on the Testosterone as I have my cholesterol results as well and my LDL has climbed in the last two years since I have started using Testosterone but not sure if that is what is raising my levels. It has been a discussion on here a couple of days ago as to whether it raises Cholesterol numbers. I wanted a compounding pharmacy to be able to tell me if Testosterone applied to the skin (bypassing the liver) would raise your cholesterol or not as compared to taking a supplement. I have read both ways. When I called my pharmacy they had no idea as to what Testosterone would do to cholesterol levels. I would think if they were dispensing the product they should be able to say it may raise your cholesterol even at the lowest dose and/or how it was applied.

I hate to go off of it as my muscles have all but wasted away and I am spending two hours a day lifting weights and have cut my calorie count way back just to try and gain some muscle back. I am just frustrated with all the flabby skin I now have since my hysterectomy so hate to be taken off the Testosterone when my levels are reading so low.

As far as finding another doctor I have been to almost every group in the Cincinnati area and all are just willing to dispense Estrogen only unless I want to go to a doctor who does pellets, which I don't. The doctor I have now is the first willing to do Testosterone and it took me 10 years of moving from doctor to doctor to find her. There are only so many groups here and all I have been to don't want to check levels they just go on how you are feeling. I wish it was that easy but it is not.
Unread 09-01-2011, 05:52 PM

According to Dr Vliet, if you follow her philosophy, the optimal testosterone for women is 50-60ng/dl. And free testosterone at 4-6pg/ml.

When estrogen levels decline and a dominance of testosterone becomes apparent, this produces upper body fat, dangling underarms, beer belly. Then this higher androgen level can contribute to increased total cholesterol, increased LDL, and increased insulin and cortisol. Testosterone can improve insulin sensitivity and help lower blood pressure only if given with right dose of estradiol.

It seems your dr would have to do fasting cholesterol testing along with routine bloodwork to get a good picture of cholesterol. Did your dr also test your estradiol level and is this in correct range? Without the high enough estradiol, I believe unopposed androgens can increase cholesterol but so can other factors like diet, hereditary, lifestyle, etc.
Unread 09-01-2011, 07:39 PM

Calypso~

Thank you for that information so maybe my Estrogen is just not right. I doubt she will raise it though at age 50 and with a history of Endometriosis. My Internist just did Testosterone and full Thyroid but did not do Estrogen. I can have my Gyn do Estrogen but she doesn't believe in the tests. I have some of Dr. Vliet's books so need to go re-read them as that is interesting. I have serious bat wings on my arms and have never had that and I have followed an intense exercise program as long as I can remember so trying to figure out what to change to regain my muscle again and change my metabolism for the better.

I appreciate the response and it is exactly what I was looking for so thanks for your help.

Just wanted to add I did do a fasting cholesterol test and it was high at 330 but my HDL was 124 and Triglycerides were great as well at 49 I think so the only high number was LDL at 180 something which my Internist wants me to get down. He said since I have such a great HDL he is keeping me off medicine for now and doing an MRI of my arteries just to play it safe. The only thing that has really changed is adding Testosterone but I do have a family history as well. All are on cholesterol medicine but me so we were trying to determine if my Testosterone added to it or just family history and age.
Unread 09-02-2011, 07:38 AM

Instead of cholesterol medication, my husband did a trial on 500mg of Nicotinic Acid (form of Niacin). It lowered his LDL, raised his HDL, and lowered his total cholesterol! His internist is pleased as can be and told him to continue.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.