HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Sacral colpopexy Sacral colpopexy

Unread 09-02-2011, 07:12 AM
Sacral colpopexy

Has anyone that have had the procedure done experienced any mishaps afterwards, and how long did it take to heal?
Unread 09-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Talking - Sacral colpopexy Re: Sacral colpopexy

I was in a lot of pain PRIOR to my surgery in my vaginal area and right leg and had retention. I found out about 4-5 weeks post post surgery that the pain and retention was due to me having IC

I had a Sacral Colpopexy on 2/16/2011 via the Da Vinci Robot to fix a grade 3 cystocele and some other milder Cele's. The incisions were small and healed fairly quickly except for the one they put the port in. My surgeon had to spend an hour getting thru my adhesions (which was news to him and me!) for the port. It healed a little slower and has a bigger scar. Fortunately for me he was a very good surgeon and didn't make any mistakes.

For me recovery from the whole surgery was pretty slow. I was in the hospital for 24 hours and could urinate the morning the cath was taken out, so they let me go home. Ride home was uneventful except that we had to stop at the BP half way home as I had to urinate. It did feel good to pee like Niagra falls after 3 months of retention problems.

Here's what no one tells you: They pump your abdomen cavity full of Carbon dioxide in order to do the surgery. They can't always get it all out, so it has to disipate over time which is very painful. It feels like you have the bends. I had pains shooting down my arms and thru my back and chest at night for about 3 nights. Due to the IC I had bladder and urethra spasms. Very painful, it felt like I was holding an electric eel. Once I went on the IC diet those gradually stopped. Oh, and the pain meds actually made the urethra spasms worse. Some patients have tailbone pain, but I didn't. I did have trouble sitting in a chair and riding in the car as my vagina hurt.

I also started taking cystoprotek, D-Mannose, Garlic, Goldenseal and a probiotic (all this stuff is OTC supplements) and drinking marshmallow root tea. At about the 4th month mark I started feeling much better. Today I feel like my old self. Better than before surgery. I even ate tomatoes yesterday which are a big no no for sensitive bladders.

I did make a big mistake, I drank a ton of cranberry juice at the hospital and after getting home and it made the bladder irritation way worse. I would suggest ice water. I found the cran-actin gum works just as well as cranberry for your urinary tract with no bladder irritation.
Unread 09-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Re: Sacral colpopexy

Dear Sandra, I'm nine days out from my surgery that was performed utilizing the daVinci method, and have to say I feel very blessed not having any major problems with pain, however a dull kind of soreness ,reminds me a little of how I was feeling while having my periods . In the bladder department , my Md let me go home after the catheter was removed and I didn't have any difficulties urinating. Since being home I noticed that instead of sitting on the toilet , which makes it feel pretty uncomfortable like something is pulling inside , it is a lot better when I just squat and lean slightly forward above the toilet bowl. Taking it very easy and doing a whole lot of resting / some walking and having a chance to be really taking care of myself for a change. My hubby is great and really understanding , and it makes him feel a lot better to see that the prolapse has been taken care of and I don't have to be so uncomfortable. Specially at the end of the day after running around all day . So I wish you a nice and speedy recovery too, and take good care of yourself now- it will pay off down the road.
Unread 09-05-2011, 01:23 PM

I just had a sacral colpopexy and both ovaries removed this past Friday, Sept 2. and it was all done with the daVinci robot. The pain has been a little worse I think compared to when I had a TVH last year. But the absoulte worst pain has been in my shoulders and neck, I cannot even lie down in bed, have been having to sleep in my recliner.

Sandrahelen, since I saw that you mentioned the carbon dioxide that they put into you and that you were having terrible pains in your arms and back, I am wondering now if that is why I am having such bad pain in my neck and shoulders. I am so ready for it to go away and the pain meds don't really help it much. The gas pains started yesterday afternoon and have been kind of painful. Now, I just have kind of a crampiness in my lower abdomen.

I hope both of you continue to recover well!
Unread 09-05-2011, 02:42 PM

Yes, the shoulder pain is definitely a side effect from the gas they pump your tummy full with in order to view the surgical field inside , and if you happen to be tall like me it tends to be a bit worse for some reason. surprised that your surgeon did not warn you /tell you that the shoulder pain will most probably be there but will go away as you heal .
Unread 09-05-2011, 09:06 PM

The side effects of the carbon dioxide were never mentioned to me. Luckily I didn't rush off to the ER - I looked up the side effects of the surgery on the internet and there it was - arm, neck and shoulder pain. Also look in the mirror and check for bruises. During surgery the operating table is tilted head down. They strap you down so there is no movement, which is a good thing as you want your surgeon to be as accurate as possible. DH said I had some pretty good bruises.
Unread 09-05-2011, 09:12 PM

I found a heating pad helped me with the crampiness.
Unread 09-12-2011, 01:24 PM

I had one 5 years ago. Since I have no idea what a "robot" procedure is, I assume I had the old fashioned kind w/ a c-section-like incision.

I hurt for 2 weeks after, had little energy for the next 2 weeks, and felt much, much better toward the end of the 4th week and 5th. While I didn't have pain, I didn't feel completely healed until a year had gone by.

The prolapse and associated 'celes had cause me so much discomfort and had limited what I could do, that I have never once regretted having it done.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.