HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How long before you heal completely? How long before you heal completely?

Unread 12-12-2001, 10:08 AM
How long before you heal completely?

Hi sisters,

I had my TAH/RSO on September 5th, went back to work full time on October 22nd. Every day I felt better and my doctor told me to do what I wanted. My DH bought me a quarterhorse mare for Xmas and I started riding bareback last week. The day after my first ride I felt terrible. My belly hurt internally, not to mention my back and leg muscles, and my right side hurt a lot. I expected the back and leg muscle pain since I hadn't ridden in a while, but what's this belly pain after 3 months post-op?

Thanks,

Claudia
Unread 12-12-2001, 12:16 PM

Yikes, Claudia!

Did you ask your DR specifically about horseback riding???

My personal research and DRs say that it typically takes 6 months to a year to be completely healed after this surgery. The initial recovery period is 6 - 8 weeks. It sounds like your body did not like your riding this soon. I think you're right about the 'expected' muscle soreness after you have not ridden in a while, but I don't think I would get back on the horse for a while if I were you. If you're experiencing alot of tummy soreness, that tells me your body is still trying to heal from your surgery. It might not be a bad idea to go and let your DR have a look to make sure everything is okay.

Hope you feel better soon!
Unread 12-12-2001, 03:32 PM

Thanks Toonces,

I had my mare walking around the corral...so she wouldn't go into a trot or gallop...but I did it bareback and that in itself is a little hard on the body. I still get very sore in the belly from being on my feet for very long at work.

My doctor was really understanding before the surgery, but became kind of hard-nosed afterwards. She really limited my pain medication when I left the castle and insisted I should be able to handle the discomfort on ibuprofen. I also needed to stay out of work an extra week or two, but she insisted I was ready to take on anything. I've talked to her about riding and she thinks I should have no troubles...only I do.

My DH doesn't understand why I still get tired after working all day and coming home to cook and clean. To him 3 months is long enough to recuperate. I thought I was just wimping out or whining too much.

Claudia

Unread 12-12-2001, 09:14 PM

I don't ride a horse but I did ride a mountain bicycle, lift weights and swim. Before surgery I asked my doc if I could do it again soon and he said not for a long time. I have my 6 week check Friday so we'll see what he says this time. If cleared, I'm starting with 5 pound weights and walking across the pool. I'll move up from there. Not sure about riding the bike because it is very jarring. Maybe some slow rides on a bike at the gym to start. Maybe limit your rides and do it as gently as possible then work up. No need for pain!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.