HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Sex with a Fistula??? Sex with a Fistula???

Unread 09-13-2011, 08:14 AM
Sex with a Fistula???

I have a fistula, it hasn't been repaired yet, waiting for scheduling date. My dr said last week ok to have sex. I'm still leaking urine into vagina. Hubby said "I don't care", its been 4 months now. But I'm nervous and I don't know if it will hurt and the whole leaking part.

Does anyone have any advise or has same issue? And if you do, are you having sex? Is it painful?

Please advise, thank you in advance for sharing such intimate info.
Unread 09-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Re: Sex with a Fistula???

to tell you the truth, i didn't do anything . My hubby was afraid to make the hole worse, so he didn't ask.

hugs
mo
Unread 09-13-2011, 12:09 PM

Hey Mojo

Did u have the repair done? if so how was it? and wat op did u have..did they go thru same incision or vaginally....pls share as i have a repair coming up in october....xxxxxx

Was the recovery the same as the TAH or better or worse? xxxxxx
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:22 AM

I had a fistula repaired after the birth of my first child - 3rd degree lacerations. My husband and I tried having sex, but it was too painful, so abstained until after the repair.

As far as the repair, it was pretty easy for me - like having an episiotomy. I was off work 4 days, then back to my regular activities. But talk to your doctor since your procedure could be considerably different from what mine was.
Unread 09-14-2011, 11:04 AM

thanks nfreel, I finally got surgery date for next wed. 21st, so all that good stuff will have to wait for way after surgery, hopefully it be like ole times. I'm not sure what to expect from surgery, will have urologist and gyno present. Hoping they can fix without going through the abdomain.
Unread 09-14-2011, 05:10 PM

Moonbeam..I had sex while I was waiting. The doctor told me it was fine to do so also. I had no pain at all. I would just make sure it was a long time after I drank. He also told me that 6 weeks after my repair it was ok to do it.
Unread 09-14-2011, 08:12 PM

thank you newfie72. I'm still undecided what to do. Going to have another repair surgery next wed. so it's going to be another 6-8 weeks for hubby. Thanks for sharing.
Unread 09-15-2011, 02:57 PM

my hubby and i had sex while waiting for fistula surgery. it wasn't as "good" for me but it didn't hurt at all. I was nervous that the hole would get bigger and i think the leaking got a tiny bit worse but by then i was just wearing depends and pads all the time so i figured what the hell.... It was obviously "wetter" down there and we just made sure to lay a towel down and I tried not to drink much before and empty my bladder as well as i could. My husband was super supportive and caring.....(although in a joking manner he lovingly reminded me every once in awhile that there was nothing wrong with my mouth sorry if it's TMI!) But we just had to laugh when we could or i would've been crying all the time.

I'm happy to report that after the sec. surgery(june20th) which was abdominal using the davinci that I am still leak free and back to my normal lifestyle!! It will get better and just try not to let this get you down. You will feel good again I promise! ((hugs))
Unread 09-15-2011, 06:33 PM

thank you Shelly1367,I needed to hear that encouragement today, rough afternoon with preop hospital stuff. I'm very discouraged and frustrated, I would really like to see the "light at the end of the tunnel" I know I'll get there, just not soon enough. Funny you mentioned that my Hubby said something about the "mouth" tonight.LOL We will see how that goes. It will probably do us both good.

Hugs
Unread 09-15-2011, 08:40 PM

Hey... surprise him! I won't give too much detail but it was just what the doctor ordered and greatly appreciated!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway