HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Bloating after surgery Bloating after surgery

Unread 09-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Bloating after surgery

Was wondering if theres anything I can take for the bloating? Its fine in the morning but towards the end of the day my tummy is bloated. Would Midol work?
Unread 09-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Re: Bloating after surgery

try fennel pills this is what i take almost every night i have to cause i bloat bad it seems to help me and it is all natural. hope this helps
Unread 09-13-2011, 04:13 PM

So far, I haven't found anything that helps. I use the binder with the cold packs & digestive enzymes.

At first (the first 2 weeks), my tummy was smaller than it was before surgery. Now that I'm more active during the day, its getting almost the size it was originally.

I'm just toughing it out. It'll eventually go away. But, my tummy is still very sore, deep down within the muscles. It still feels bruised in there.

Let us know if you find something that helps.

Unread 09-13-2011, 05:21 PM

More than likely you are not bloated. You have the infamous swelly belly which is from the trauma to your insides from your surgery. It can take several weeks to go away. You are only 6 days post op. It is known to be worse in the evenings after you have been active.

Hope you are taking it easy!!
Unread 09-13-2011, 05:51 PM

Peppermint water is often prescribed in the UK for gas left after the anaesthetic and although I didn't like the taste of it, it worked for me in the hospital.

However, 16 days post-op I have no gas remaining, just the 'swelly belly' I keep reading about. Goodness... my tummy is HUGE and as others have said, it is much worse at the end of the day.

Hooray for loose trousers and baggy tops.
Unread 09-13-2011, 06:06 PM

I'm 2 weeks post op tomorrow (Sept 15) & yes that swelly belly seems pretty good in the morning, but by later afternoon or evening it does get worse depending on how much bed rest I've had during the day...

I'm thankful for my sarongs which I live in at home & also for living in the tropics as I'm able to wear sarongs & very loose & light fitting clothing. Only gets cool, warm or hot where I live.

Just hang in there & things will improve slowly but surely

HUGS xoxo
Unread 09-13-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mileena View Post
So far, I haven't found anything that helps. I use the binder with the cold packs & digestive enzymes.

At first (the first 2 weeks), my tummy was smaller than it was before surgery. Now that I'm more active during the day, its getting almost the size it was originally.

I'm just toughing it out. It'll eventually go away. But, my tummy is still very sore, deep down within the muscles. It still feels bruised in there.

Let us know if you find something that helps.

Its funny you said that cause right after surgery my tummy was so flat and until I started to walk my tummy is now as bloated as it was before surgery.

I'm not really sore at all but do see the bruising. So I should just give it time.
Unread 09-13-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshagolightly View Post
More than likely you are not bloated. You have the infamous swelly belly which is from the trauma to your insides from your surgery. It can take several weeks to go away. You are only 6 days post op. It is known to be worse in the evenings after you have been active.

Hope you are taking it easy!!

Thanks,that makes sense why it would be swollen.
Unread 09-13-2011, 07:55 PM

Lots of good suggestions. What helps mine the most (and it still happens, but it is getting better each week) is to lie down for at least 10 minutes with a cold pack on my tummy. I still do that 2 or 3 times a day.
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:14 AM

I am so glad I read these posts. I am experiencing the same thing. Mornings are great, but the the end of the day my tummy feels heavy, swollen and sore. I keep taking the gas x but it does not seem to help much. Glad to know this is normal.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.