HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

testosterone once a day? testosterone once a day?

Unread 09-16-2011, 09:17 AM
testosterone once a day?

For those of you using testosterone cream, do you apply once a day or split it and use it twice a day? My Dr. and pharmacist said to apply it all in the am. That's what I've been doing. The other two - estrogen and progesterone, I apply AM and PM. I forgot to ask them why once a day with the T. Is it because of the energy??
Unread 09-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Re: testosterone once a day?

I have always applied once a day.
Unread 09-16-2011, 12:42 PM

these numbers are confusing and I'm really not having much confidence in either the Dr's or pharmacist these days. But I did call the pharmacist to ask what the percentage is on my testosterone cream. All I know is that it is 1mg. He looked it up and said, "it's a 0.1% cream." does that sound LOW?
as far as percentage goes?
My Dr.'s office called me back again to tell me to stop taking it for a few days and then start up again by taking .5ml once a day. I felt like I was getting too much with 1ml a day. He has two MA's and one called the other day to say to just drop it down to .75ml a day. I guess they got their wires crossed - I don't know.
Pharmacist didn't understand my question tho -- I used to be on .4mg and then the Dr. raised that to 1mg. And I was doing 1 ml a day. I want to know the difference now in daily ml's by lowering it from 1 ml to either .75 or the .5ml a day. Pharmacist said that if I go to .5 ml I'd be right back where I started. BUT the mg's is different now.
this is like the math problems I HATED in school!!!
how can I be back where I started when I was at .4mg when the dose is now 1mg??
anyone want to take a stab at this?? Math gurus...
Unread 09-16-2011, 01:10 PM

1% is a good starting dosage. I started on a 2% cream, it quickly proved to be too strong for me.

IMHO, I think it is best to start out LOW when it comes to testosterone. As I have stated before, I only used .25ml, that dosage worked for me. It did take some time to feel the full effects.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the cream can build up in the tissues so whatever dose you are on you may need to lower it over time.

Sorry, can't help with the cc, ml, mg, % stuff. That has never been my strength.
Unread 09-16-2011, 01:16 PM

but mine is a 0.1% -- a tenth of a full percentage.
Unread 09-16-2011, 01:17 PM

It is probably my interpretation that is incorrect.
Unread 09-16-2011, 01:34 PM

(((twiggy))) I think you're confusing mg and ml and percentages, perhaps because it's awkward remembering mg of testosterone versus grams of cream. So, let's see if this helps.

Creams are made up in percentages. A 1% cream contains 10mg of testosterone per gram of cream (and one gram of cream is around 1cc or 1ml, though that depends on the density of the base so it can be a little more).

So, if you are on a 0.1% cream and using 1mL per day, you're getting 1mg of testosterone per day.

I'm not sure where the .4mg comes in; perhaps you can clarify. Was that a different cream? Or a different volume dose?

By the way, 1mL of cream is an awfully large amount to have to get to absorb; usually we use 0.25mL or maybe 0.5mL at most, once a day, but creams that may be 0.5% to 1% (or maybe 2%, though that is considered a little high).

When I used testosterone, I was using about 0.25mL of a 1% cream per day, so I was getting 2.5mg per day of testosterone. I ended up having to decrease that by quite a bit, first by going to using it only twice a week, then once a week. I no longer need to use it these days.

It sounds like there may be "too many cooks" in your situation. Maybe the MA's and the DR and the pharmacist aren't all communicating clearly with one another?

In any case, I would reiterate what (((Kim))) said - it is definitely best to start off low and go slow. There are too many stories here of women who had symptoms of too much testosterone show up suddenly and never leave.

s,
-Linda
Unread 09-16-2011, 02:14 PM

yup... Im clear on the 1ml per day equals to the full 1mg. Grams are confusing.
With the .4 mg..... that was my old prescription. I was getting all three hormones in one tube which was 3mg estradiol, 90mg progesterone and .4mg of testosterone. And I was doing 1/2ml am and 1/2ml pm. So, 1ml for the whole day.
But I wanted the testosterone in a separate tube and that's when he switched the dose from .4mg to 1mg since my testosterone numbers kept coming in really low and estrogen and progesterone were looking good.
And I was feeling good except lack of libido and muscle strength. So he thought it was time to raise the T.
yah... 1ml is alot to absorb. I put it behind my knees (both knees) and it takes a little while but it's not bad.
I absorb well
but even with that 1ml I was doing, I was only taking in 1mg. Since my percentage is only 0.1%. Compared to your 2.5mg that you had to lower. So, I'm still low dose. right?
The pharmacist just does what the Dr. told him to do - do up the 1mg compound of T and today I found out that it is 0.1% (I was just curious as to what that % was in MY cream since I hear all of you talk about % instead of mg when it comes to T).
the MA's just had their "what dosage to try" mixed up. I think I would do ok trying either. right now I'm going from the 1ml to .75ml a day. If I still feel too PERKY (blush), I'll go down to the .5ml a day.
did that help with any?? When I was at the old dosage... .4mg using 1 ml a day, I felt nothing. No libido and muscle strength was starting to really get worse as time went on. And I've been stable with E an P now for about 3 years. So, it was time to start addressing the T. You know how sometimes if you're too low in E, you won't have libido? That seemed to not be the case with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferbabe View Post
(((twiggy))) I think you're confusing mg and ml and percentages, perhaps because it's awkward remembering mg of testosterone versus grams of cream. So, let's see if this helps.

Creams are made up in percentages. A 1% cream contains 10mg of testosterone per gram of cream (and one gram of cream is around 1cc or 1ml, though that depends on the density of the base so it can be a little more).

So, if you are on a 0.1% cream and using 1mL per day, you're getting 1mg of testosterone per day.

I'm not sure where the .4mg comes in; perhaps you can clarify. Was that a different cream? Or a different volume dose?

By the way, 1mL of cream is an awfully large amount to have to get to absorb; usually we use 0.25mL or maybe 0.5mL at most, once a day, but creams that may be 0.5% to 1% (or maybe 2%, though that is considered a little high).

When I used testosterone, I was using about 0.25mL of a 1% cream per day, so I was getting 2.5mg per day of testosterone. I ended up having to decrease that by quite a bit, first by going to using it only twice a week, then once a week. I no longer need to use it these days.

It sounds like there may be "too many cooks" in your situation. Maybe the MA's and the DR and the pharmacist aren't all communicating clearly with one another?

In any case, I would reiterate what (((Kim))) said - it is definitely best to start off low and go slow. There are too many stories here of women who had symptoms of too much testosterone show up suddenly and never leave.

s,
-Linda
Unread 09-16-2011, 02:26 PM

Yes, that is a bit clearer. The reason many of us refer to creams in % is because we tweak the amount of cream as needed, so we may not be getting the same mg of testosterone as we adjust over time even though we're using the same container of cream.

I find it easier to use a stronger cream and use less of it, but many DRs don't like to prescribe it that way because it's harder to get a reproducible dose if you're using smaller quantities with each application.

You're still on what we'd call a low dose, but that doesn't mean much since everyone's body is unique and absorbs and processes these hormones differently. The only thing that matters is how it works for YOU. Also, it does take several weeks on an increased dose for the tissue levels to build up, which is why it is better to be patient and not increase too much. Similarly, once you lower a dose, it takes weeks (sometimes months) for the tissue levels to drop, so how you feel a week into it may not be the same as you'd feel after a month or two. Testosterone (and to some degree, progesterone as well) are much more this way than estrogen does - changes in estrogen level tend to manifest themselves fairly quickly by comparison.

I hope that helps.

s,
-Linda
Unread 09-16-2011, 04:02 PM

LOL!! Thanks for the help with this. I was surprised when the pharmacist said 0.1%. But I guess that's why I was told to use 1ml with that low of percentage. I was on it for 15 days before I noticed a difference. Is that "normal??" My libido went ZING... and my anxiety rose - that's not good. But it could have been some weird spike with something else. Because I only lowered it a couple days ago and the anxiety is just about gone but I still feel a bit of a libido zing but not as bad. So maybe it's just a coincedence.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.