HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

annual exams after hysterectomy annual exams after hysterectomy

Unread 09-18-2011, 05:28 PM
annual exams after hysterectomy

I wish I'd found this site before I had surgery. I had a total hysterectomy last January, both overies removed. The doctor said he could not save them. I am wondering about having annual exams. My family doctor said I would need an exam only every 3 years as my gyno does an annual pelvic to check on the repairs he made. The only thing he does is ask my to cough a couple of times. He's not checking for anything else. I'm concerned about this as I used to get an exam of my rectum and pelvic area along with a pap (which I no longer need, obviously). Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Thanks.
Unread 09-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Re: annual exams after hysterectomy

It may depend on your age and general health, but 3 years seems a long time between physical exams; your gyn isn't likely to be doing labs to check your blood sugar and cholesterol levels, for example. That just sounds odd to me.
Unread 09-18-2011, 06:26 PM

My understanding is that you continue to do your annual exams even after a TAH BSO. I believe they still do a pelvic exam (you can get tumors for other reasons), they would still do a rectal exam (if you are old enough), and as Whatsit said, there are other things to track.

In addition, I know the AMA and my gyn onc disagree on this point - pap smears. My gyn onc says you should still get them even after your cervix is gone for vaginal cancer. The AMA says they are not necessary.
Unread 09-18-2011, 06:54 PM

I had a TAH with removal of cervix. I kept both ovaries. At my 6 week follow-up, I asked my doctor about yearly exams. He said new guidelines say you don't need one, but he doesn't agree with that. Even though the cervix was removed, small pieces could still remain. He will continue to do pap smears.
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:35 PM

My doctor wants me to keep coming yearly for a while yet. I am on HRT so we need to keep tabs on that, as well as breast exams.

I had everything removed.
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:55 PM

I had my hyster in Feb and was due for my annual in June. My dr told me to keep it and said he will continue to do a pap smear on the cuff yearly. This may vary by patient and depend on health and hyster reasons. As far as PCP's mine said that healthy adults only need checkups every 3 years. I go yearly for health screenings due to some issues and every 6 months for my diabetes.
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:16 PM

Sincw I have hpv it is imperative that I have an annual exam. I had ” pre” cancer in my cervix before it was removed and hpv can sometimes cause cancer in the vagina and vulva. It seems the AMA and the doctors I have seen really disagree on how frequently exams should happen. Go with what you are comfortable with, and maybe discuss in more detail with your doc why you feel 3 years is too long. Maybe the doc doesn't realize what your gyn is doing during those exams...?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.