HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Anti bacterial wash - pre opp ? Anti bacterial wash - pre opp ?

Unread 09-26-2011, 06:39 AM
Anti bacterial wash - pre opp ?

My surgery is wednesday 28th Sept, and on opening my mail this morning i had a 'gift' from the hospital pre admission clinic. An anti bacterial wash ! With VERY detailed instructions on how to clean from hair (head) to beetween the toes and everything in beetween, and then repeat the process :-! Has anyone else had to do this ?? I imagine they just want to keep any bacteria away (from my head hair too ??)
So tonight i have a 'hair cut' down there, just to tidy up :-) (Had my eye brows done today) and tomorrow get the washing up to date, pack my bag and try not to stress ..... Then Wednesday morning I disinfect myself !! And off to hospital. We all know what comes next ....:-)
Unread 09-26-2011, 07:05 AM
Re: Anti bacterial wash - pre opp ?

Everyone carries their own special mix of bacteria on their skin that are able to cause infections if the conditions are right. Some surgeons prefer to try to decrease these guys before surgery to reduce the chances of infections.

My surgeon does not require me to do this. I went out and bought a good antibacterial soap yesterday and plan on using that anyway esp since I work in a hospital and probably carry some extra bad bacteria around with me to begin with.

Best wishes with your surgery - I am set to go tomorrow. See you on the other side!
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:13 AM

People these days even unknowingly walk around carrying MRSA as well as "usual" bacteria so antibacterial wash seems a good idea. Better safe than sorry. I used the special scrub for one surgery, Dial soap for another. Didn't care for the soap scent but the scrub was mainly unscented. If I ever had another surgery I think I'd use antibacterial soap even if it wasn't required. Best wishes for your surgery and recovery.
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:14 AM

Every one is different!! I didn't have to go to that extreme, either -- just used an antibacterial soap the morning of my surgery. Each surgeon/facility has their own preference. The jury is out on whether showering with antibac soap before going to the hospital really does any good or not, but until then, it's just another hoop to jump through!

Good luck!
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:54 AM

Not only do I have to do this the night before but also on the morning of & I was also instructed not to put on any lotion, powder, or deodorant? Deodorant? really? Powder and lotion I can understand. At least your hospital sent you the wash, I had to go out and purchase mine. And yes, I had the same detailed instructions, I know "it's better safe than sorry" but still it made me feel like a leper. Good luck to you on your surgery!!!
Unread 09-26-2011, 10:09 AM

Marilyn1973,
Good luck on your surgery. Mine is also on the 28th. I'm having daVinci and also the same scrub down.

I am not required to do a bowel prep, just no eating after midnight and I will be doing the scrub down twice. I will scrub the night before and then in the morning before I head out to the hospital. My antibacterial scrub is from the jaw down.

I can do a "trim" but no actual shaving. They will shave what they want removed.

I am so ready to get this show on the road!!!!

Best of luck to everyone for a speedy recovery!

goldenlife
Unread 09-26-2011, 09:30 PM

I read through lots of stories and information, but don't remember anyone talking about the pre-wash ? So i thought it was odd. But apparently not ! Today i wanted to do lots of house work, cooking ... but instead , im sitting on the lounge on the laptop :-) A kind of mental blank today !!! Thankyou all for your support, and wish me luck for tomorrow.
Unread 09-26-2011, 09:36 PM

Had to do the prewash here too... was told not to get it in your eyes though- will burn! It was from the neck down... and told to not use anything else on body. I had to wash at night and before leaving home- and was given it by the hospital (actually have some still). It was not that bad... the bowel prep was worse! Good luck!
Unread 09-26-2011, 10:34 PM

My surgery date is next week, Oct 4th... And I was handed a bottle of Hibicleans Antibacterial wash at my pre op appointment. And I have to do bowel cleansing the day before... I guess it's better than having an enema! Between the two "cleansings" I'm thinking I will be lighter AND sqweeky clean! best of luck to you!
Unread 09-27-2011, 06:37 PM

My surgery is also Oct 4th and I was given Hibicleanes to wash the night before as well

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.