HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Vaginal Cuff Revision- post op hematoma, pain, bleeding Vaginal Cuff Revision- post op hematoma, pain, bleeding

Unread 09-28-2011, 09:03 AM
Vaginal Cuff Revision- post op hematoma, pain, bleeding

Hi . Sorry if this is long, but I feel I should give a brief background on my situation. Please bear with me, and any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

2 years ago next month I (at age 36) had a complete hysterectomy after 18 years of battling severe endo, bilateral dermoid teratomas (left salpingo-ooph at 18 years old, partial ooph at 24), recurring ovarian masses, etc.

I bounced back well, and have done great on the Vivelle Dot. In the meantime, I have also had severe back problems that did not resolve with conservative treatment, and have undergone both lower back and c-spine surgeries in the past year. Those both went well, but I continued to struggle with what I thought was "lower back/hip pain". My Phys Therapist finally came to conclusion that there was something more going on and sent me to my PCP. Dr. worked me up for kidney stuff, as well as autoimmue. That all came back fine, and then he sent me to my GYN.

I was *sure* it couldn't be GYN related... I mean, how do things go wrong when all the parts to go wrong are gone?!?! Well, upon exam, my GYN said it was my vaginal cuff. I had surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago to repair/revise it. He said it was "a mess", with scar tissue, as well as "tons" of cysts.

Within 2 days of the surgery I felt GREAT! Like nothing had happened at all, and the back pain seemed to be resolving already. By 4 days out, I had stopped bleeding entirely. The following week I began walking (just walking- not anything even remotely close to my usual cardo or weight training work outs) and would cramp and bleed everytime. I called the office, and they told me to hold off until after my recheck (yesterday).

I have taken it VERY easy since then, but the back/hip pain has continued to worsen- I would say hurts more than pre-surgery. Then, two nights ago, I stood up after dinner and a GUSH of bright red blood hit the floor! I continued bleeding very, very heavily all night- did not call the dr. afterhours since I was going to be going in the next morning anyway. However, I told my husband that it was funny because I thought the pain was lessend. At my follow up yesterday, GYN said I have at least one hematoma (was too swollen for him to get a really good look), and he thought that was where bleeding was coming from. He also said that hopefully that it was fully ruptured, and will reabsorb- that I should start feeling better. (If not, another surgery> UGH!)

I hate to be a whiner, but now today my back and hip pain are really, really bad again. I have been also running low grade fevers on and off for a few days. Has anyone gone through/heard of anything like this? Thoughts? Suggestions? Stories? I have no friends that have gone through a hysterectomy, much less any of this. I am reaching out the only place I can think of. I am scared and so very sick of pain. I just want to have my life back- be active (without just working through the pain)!

TIA
Unread 09-28-2011, 06:29 PM
Re: Vaginal Cuff Revision- post op hematoma, pain, bleeding

If you have a fever, please let your doctor know. You could have an infection and those are nothing to fool around with. I hope you feel better soon. Let us know what your doctor tells you.
Unread 09-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Vaginal Cuff Revision- post op hematoma, pain, bleeding

There is a thread already started by a bunch of us who have hematomas. It's called "LAVH 8 weeks post op with a hematoma". I'll try to include the link.
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/showthread.php?t=455539&page=2
Unread 09-28-2011, 08:21 PM

Thank you for the responses. Dr. knows about the low grade fever, and said to keep an eye on it. It did not appear to be infected yesterday when he examined me.

Yes, I had posted in the other thread. Thank you.

I am just beyond annoyed. I thought my days of pain were behind me when I had the hysterectomy, then my low back robbed me of any relief I gained from the hysterectomy.... only to have surgery for that (last Dec), start getting back to life, and then 3 discs in c-spine completely blew. Had surgery for that in June. Only to still be in pain (vag cuff)! Thought that this would finally be the "magic bullet"- and now am in more pain than when I started. Grrrrr
Unread 09-28-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyatksn View Post
Hi . Sorry if this is long, but I feel I should give a brief background on my situation. Please bear with me, and any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

2 years ago next month I (at age 36) had a complete hysterectomy after 18 years of battling severe endo, bilateral dermoid teratomas (left salpingo-ooph at 18 years old, partial ooph at 24), recurring ovarian masses, etc.

I bounced back well, and have done great on the Vivelle Dot. In the meantime, I have also had severe back problems that did not resolve with conservative treatment, and have undergone both lower back and c-spine surgeries in the past year. Those both went well, but I continued to struggle with what I thought was "lower back/hip pain". My Phys Therapist finally came to conclusion that there was something more going on and sent me to my PCP. Dr. worked me up for kidney stuff, as well as autoimmue. That all came back fine, and then he sent me to my GYN.

I was *sure* it couldn't be GYN related... I mean, how do things go wrong when all the parts to go wrong are gone?!?! Well, upon exam, my GYN said it was my vaginal cuff. I had surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago to repair/revise it. He said it was "a mess", with scar tissue, as well as "tons" of cysts.

Within 2 days of the surgery I felt GREAT! Like nothing had happened at all, and the back pain seemed to be resolving already. By 4 days out, I had stopped bleeding entirely. The following week I began walking (just walking- not anything even remotely close to my usual cardo or weight training work outs) and would cramp and bleed everytime. I called the office, and they told me to hold off until after my recheck (yesterday).

I have taken it VERY easy since then, but the back/hip pain has continued to worsen- I would say hurts more than pre-surgery. Then, two nights ago, I stood up after dinner and a GUSH of bright red blood hit the floor! I continued bleeding very, very heavily all night- did not call the dr. afterhours since I was going to be going in the next morning anyway. However, I told my husband that it was funny because I thought the pain was lessend. At my follow up yesterday, GYN said I have at least one hematoma (was too swollen for him to get a really good look), and he thought that was where bleeding was coming from. He also said that hopefully that it was fully ruptured, and will reabsorb- that I should start feeling better. (If not, another surgery> UGH!)

I hate to be a whiner, but now today my back and hip pain are really, really bad again. I have been also running low grade fevers on and off for a few days. Has anyone gone through/heard of anything like this? Thoughts? Suggestions? Stories? I have no friends that have gone through a hysterectomy, much less any of this. I am reaching out the only place I can think of. I am scared and so very sick of pain. I just want to have my life back- be active (without just working through the pain)!

TIA
I am so sorry for all of your troubles.
You are NOT a whiner.
You are way too "patient" of a patient.
You have a fever and are bleeding. IMHO, you need to get yourself to the ER, or at least call or visit your doctor's office again.
Anytime there is a fever, your body is telling you that "SOMETHING IS WRONG." Not to scare you, but you need to get yourself some help. At least get an antibiotic to suppress or eradicate the possible infection that you may have.

If your doctor thinks that it is nothing, then go in to the E.R. if you have insurance.

This way, you are taken care of. You doctor can catch up when another physician calls him to tell him that they are treating his patient because she needed to be treated.
My doctors that know me realize that I know a bit more than the average gyn patient. They try to stay "on top of things" with me. If not, I end up going to the ER in the area with a good book.
You will need it.
I would tell them that::" Hey! I tried to tell you something was wrong while I was in your office, maybe you just didn't hear me. Now I have a fever and possibly and infection. Come in to visit if you can."

Good luck.
Unread 09-28-2011, 10:03 PM

I have vaginal cuff pain with granulation too.
I am on restriction from sex for another month.

I hope it heals so that we can get back to normal.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.