HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Am I really rotten?? Am I really rotten??

Unread 10-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Am I really rotten??

Hi all,
I am 3 weeks p/o davinci lap hyst. After years and years of bleeding 14-18 days a month, numerous birth control pill changes, hormones, ultrasounds and an unsuccessful endometrial ablation with no confirmed diagnosis, hysterectomy was my last option! My doctor suspected adenomyosis; however, after surgery she said that she had found 4 large spots of endometriosis on the back side of my uterus (I guess this is why it wasn't seen on ultrasound??) and that my uterus was "just rotten".

What the heck does that mean?? How can my uterus be rotten??

Unread 10-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Re: Am I really rotten??

I really have no idea what your doctor meant and the best thing would be to ask her. In the meantime, if you want my best guess is that there were some problems from the ablation and you may have had some dead tissue in left in there. Basically, ablation burns off the lining of the uterus and it dies. Please remember I am not a doctor and don't pretend to be one on TV.
Unread 10-03-2011, 05:55 PM

Well I have no idea but "rotten" was not a good choice of words! Wow! I think Dani3ll3 covered it and I don't play a nurse in real life (even though I am soon a nursing student) or play one on tv either!
Unread 10-03-2011, 06:13 PM

Thanks guys...I agree it was a terrible choice of words, esp since my 13 year old daughter was in the room. I am an RN (cardiac, not gyn) and have never heard something described this way. I will def ask her at my p/o appt.
Unread 10-03-2011, 06:35 PM

I don't know what she meant, but she probably could have paid more attention in "Bedside Manner 101". Kind of like the OB/gyn who told me when I had the flu & a fever of 104 while 9 weeks pregnant with my oldest & asked her "How bad is this fever for the baby? Should we be concerned?" "Well, with a temp that high, you're basically cooking that baby. We'll have to wait & see. We could probably do an extra ultrasound, if you just want to." My Mom, who IS a nurse was in the room & she was just SHOCKED & really angry.
Unread 10-03-2011, 07:25 PM

Your doctor said your uterus was rotten, not you! My doctor said my uterus was abnormal. He didn't say I was abnormal! It was probably just a play on words to let you know it needed to be removed and it was good that you did.
Unread 10-03-2011, 07:32 PM

Haha my dr said i was a "mess" inside
Unread 10-03-2011, 07:36 PM

hi shellbell,
I agree with mtb that the comment was inappropriate, but probably just a descriptor that meant, 'it needed to come out'.
It helped me to describe my uterus as a cranky old knarly uterus, my GYN described it post surgery as too soft on the outer walls and the pathology confirmed the adenomyositis and large fibriod. So I would ask for more medical description from your GYN, just so you know and can celebrate its removal!
Unread 10-03-2011, 10:19 PM

My doc told me that my uterus was an "absolute mess". When I was talking to her about the surgery she said your ovaries looked really good but your uterus was horrible. Personally I thought it was funny. She said it with her dramatic voice.
Unread 10-04-2011, 08:14 AM

I'm guessing your Dr may have thought she was using easy layman's terms instead of confusing you with medical terminology----and it backfired. "Rotten" doesn't explain anything and is on the offensive side. When you see her and ask for an explanation, you might mention your reaction to her using that word. She might want to reconsider using it in the future, at least without further explanation. Sorry she left you with unanswered questions, I hope you get answers.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.