HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Unread 10-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Dog

I had a TAH one week ago today. I need to pick up my 16 pound dashound. She's crying for me to put her on the bed with me for a nap. Is that ok to do?
Unread 10-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Re: Dog

Hmm, I probably wouldn't. I have a 10 and 15 lb dogs and they always sleep with me but I usually would have to lift them up but knew I wouldn't be able to after surgery, so, a few weeks before I moved a small chair by the bed and showed them how to jump to the chair, then bed. Worked like a charm. Would your dog do something simlar? Even maybe turn a laundry basket upside down and put a blanket or towel on it, or one of those plastic storage tubs if you don't have a chair or stool. Best of luck! I know it's hard on our fur babies but mine did SO good. They were so gentle, careful and patient around me that first week or two.
Unread 10-05-2011, 12:48 PM

I wouldn't do it. Can she hop on the couch? Can you nap on the couch? I know how pathetic they can sound when they want something. Please if you do nap with your pup, put a pillow on your tummy to protect it!
Unread 10-05-2011, 12:58 PM

Can you put something next to the bed (a chair or pillows or something) for her to jump up on, so she can get on the bed?

I can relate, only my dogs that think they are lap dogs are 80+ pounds each! We very carefully found a way for them to lie next to me on the chair downstairs, and in bed when I napped up there. Dogs make excellent 'heating' pads for post-op abdomens . . . (well, I thought so, anyway!)

If you do, please be very very very careful. I lifted something similar at about the same point in my recovery, but I didn't have a full abdominal incision, just three little stab wounds. Be safe!!
Unread 10-05-2011, 01:24 PM

Thanks all! I put her blanket beside the bed so she can lay there. This girl (my dog) is so spoiled, she's never jumped onto a piece of furniture or walked up or down mire than 2 steps. She will just have to tough it until hubby gets home!
Unread 10-05-2011, 01:24 PM

You can get doggy steps at the pet shop that you can put next to the bed so she can walk right up. I know why you don't want her jumping but I think the steps might work. I work with dog rescue and came home from the hospital to 5 dogs. It went well with a few changes in routine. The time will pas quickly and you will be able to pick up that little dog soon. My Lily is about 16 or 17 lbs too and I know it was hard.
Unread 10-05-2011, 01:51 PM

I don't mind if she jumps up, she's just not able to! :0(
I gave up on napping today!
Unread 10-05-2011, 08:58 PM

I have 150lb Great Dane who would love to sleep on me! He regularly sits on my lap and snuggles with me so a few weeks before the surgery we had to get him used to not doing that. I couldn't even move his head or push him off of me with out extreme pain.

Anyway, The rule for me was less than a gallon of milk. So your pup is probably a little to big to pick up at this point!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway