HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Rectocele and wearing pessaries Rectocele and wearing pessaries

Unread 10-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Rectocele and wearing pessaries

I have to splint every morning when I have my BM. I press on my perineum. I wonder if using pessary just for that time would help me and in using it make an operation unnecessary. ? I have read about ulcers being formed due to the pessary but surely if I only used it for a short time every day it would not be a problem?
Unread 10-09-2011, 12:23 AM
Re: Rectocele and wearing pessaries

Hi inge Are you considering inserting a pessary every time you want to have a bowel movement and then removing it right afterwards? That sounds like quite a lot of trouble. Usually pessaries are fitted and left in a while; I have the impression (not personal experience though) that they are a bit awkward to insert. It would seem like splinting is less trouble than using a pessary just for those few minutes.

Have you asked your DR about this idea?

By the way, I'm guessing that your hysterectomy date that's showing on your posts is not correct? You might want to change it to when you had your hysterectomy.

s,
-Linda
Unread 10-09-2011, 10:32 PM

Yes, blush, I amended the date as best I can remember. I think that a proper pessary which is inserted for an hour a day would eliminate the worry about ulcers etc and provide better support for the BM on its passage, splinting on my perineum is a worry as I feel that the area is fragile and likely to tear. It might be just my imagination but it seems to be getting thinner.

I had such a bad experience with my hysterectomy that I dont want to have another operation (I do accept that others have wonderful experiences) and I feel that my best option would be to avoid one like the plague. Also I now live in a third world country and would have to travel and live in another country for a few weeks while recuperating . I would not know the good doctors and I assure you that I found the one who did my hysterectomy a nightmare. Even though he repaired my rectocele he told me that I could strain and push on it as it would hold. It did not. It "burst" within 3 days while I was still in hospital. Now I am back where I was. If only I could find a good surgeon but I doubt if I can.

So a pessary seems like a good option... but I want to know from others who have left it.. Does the Rectocele get worse? Do they find the membranes and fascias thinning and will I eventually HAVE to have the op. If so I have to make plans now.
Unread 10-20-2011, 11:12 AM

Hi Inge! I wanted to follow-up with you concerning the passage use for a BM. I have been considering doing this as well and have made an appointment to talk with a urogyn about this. All of my research to date, though, indicates that they work better for uterine prolapse and cystoceles versus rectoceles. Best of luck to you!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.