HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Need help deciding between Endometrial Ablation or hysterctomy. please help Need help deciding between Endometrial Ablation or hysterctomy. please help

Unread 10-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Need help deciding between Endometrial Ablation or hysterctomy. please help

Ive posted on different website and not one reply yet. Please help. I am a 31 year old single mom of 2 kids. I have PCOS (Polycystic ovary syndrome) and Fibriods. I can get my period for any where from 20 days to over 30 days at a time. Lots of blood clots coming out and very painful crampping. I can not use birth control kills me with the migranes. I have changed Ob dr 3 times. This last dr is kinda rude but the only one who suggested something to help. He is gonna do a D&C this weekend but he recomends i do a Endometrial Ablation. So i thought why do that when i read people have to do it twice or 3 times when you can do the Hysterctomy once and be done with it. I dont have the support of a great ob that sits there and listen and explain thing. When he told me about the procedure he says here is how to spelling go home and research it online. really.
Unread 10-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Re: Need help deciding between Endometrial Ablation or hysterctomy. please help

First thing, you need a doctor you are comfortable with, I don't care if you've seen three already. The recovery from any surgery sucks if you go in hating your doc! If you have a choice, look for a gyn who specializes in treatment of PCOS and fibroids. I speak from experience; I had a procedure for fibroid treatment in January and the docs gave me a few pamphlets and a website to look it up, but never outlined the possible dangers. I ended up with a dying uterus and an abdominal hysterectomy. Get a doctor who is willing to speak with you and if you can't, educate yourself with as much info as you can handle!

Now, I have had the D&C, which helped with the bleeding a lot, but never the ablation. I had Davinci myomectomy done a number of years ago and I'd be willing to tell you about that if you think it might be an option.

I can't speak to which procedure is better, but there are a number of factors to consider. Read through the recovery from hysterectomy posts and see if you can handle being down for weeks for recovery. Will you have assistance? Can you afford the time off? There is a pamphlet on here that you can order that walks you through the various forms of hysterectomy; it's important to know your options there. You can also run a search for ablation and see what pops up there; it helps to read other's experiences. There is also a link up top titled Give Me a Second. It talks about getting a second (third, fourth) opinion. I recommend this. I wish I'd known about it back in December.

Hysterectomy should be a last choice option, in my opinion. I wish it hadn't been my only. If you still have options, make sure you explore them and take the one that best suits you and your lifestyle. Give yourself a little time to decide, too. Good luck and God bless!
Unread 10-11-2011, 10:38 AM

I had a uterine "NovaSure" ablation in May of this year that took care of the bleeding and fibriods but in the end I had TAH due to growing and painful ovarian cyst and newly dx endo along ovary,colon. Every situation is different and unique but i'm sorry I had the ablation unnecessarly (paid $2500) out of pocket for it too! My GYN told me in May that "probably" birth control pills could shrink my cyst..didnt happen. Do your research online is my suggestion and HysterSisters is amazing!
Unread 10-12-2011, 07:30 AM

Thank you both for replying to me. I.m gonna let this OB Doctor do my D & C this Saturday but i have decided to go seek another OB. It is very hard because i have Medicaid/ Health First and not many OB take that insurance around here. I did find one who specializes in ablations but doesnt take my insurance. So i decided to go into the city and see a new OB only thing is i have to wait another month to get a first appt. all other places can be 3 months wait horrible. I'm gonna give the ablation a try since most people say that you should try all other before deciding to do the Hysterectomy. I hope all goes well. Once i have done and i will come back and update you to share my experience with other women.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.