HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Just found out I have thickening of the uterine lining...some questions Just found out I have thickening of the uterine lining...some questions

Unread 10-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Just found out I have thickening of the uterine lining...some questions

Hello everyone. I am new to this site, although I have been coming on the last couple of days and reading people's posts. Here is my story....

In October 2010, I went in for my physical and told my doctor that my periods had changed. All of a sudden, I was having bad cramps and the bleeding was out of control. It was disgusting. I was bleeding through within an hour with huge, gross clots. My doctor dismissed me and said that it was because I was getting older (I am 42 was 41 at the time). Seeings she is a "professional", I accepted her answer and went on my way. This past year, the heavy bleeding, cramps and now spotting in between has continued. I just went in for my physical this year (saw a different doctor) and just decided to also tell her about it. She sent me for a vaginal ultrasound. They called and told me that I have a thickened uterine lining. I'm like, "what does that mean" and the lady is like, "oh I don't know", the OB/GYN will call you to set up an appointment. I immediately went to my computer and searched it and now I am petrified. Everything I read talks about "CANCER" and "HYSTERECTOMY". I am still waiting for the OB/GYN to call. I'm assuming they will call on Monday but I am obsessing about this. It is all I can think about, day and night. I've told my husband and my sister but all they say is "don't worry, it will be fine". Well I can't help but worry. I am going crazy and I guess this weekend will be no better. Reading others posts seems to calm me some but I won't be relieved until I go to see the OB/GYN. Does anyone know if thickening of the uterine lining is fairly common without it being cancer? Also, if it is a precursor for cancer, than do you think that by not being treated in the last year that I am at a higher risk for cancer??? Any info would be greatly appreciated, even bad news is at least information. Thanks so much.

Vincie
Unread 10-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Re: Just found out I have thickening of the uterine lining...some questions

As my GYN told me, there are a few reasons for thickened lining and not all are cancer or precancer. Waiting a year isn't ideal but still doesn't mean cancer. But as you found, yes it could be precancer or cancer, just realize there are other options. Waiting is the worst part. Probably an andometrial biopsy or D&C are the next step, and then you'll have more answers. Hard as it is, don't jump to any conclusions yet. It could be something benign so my philosophy is, assume that's the case until proven otherwise. Let us know what you find out, and we'll try to answer questions, too. I hope the wait goes quickly.
Unread 10-22-2011, 11:25 AM

When tv ultrasound showed I had a thickened lining, my gyn did an endo biopsy. The biopsy came back negative (no cancer) but we had already decided I was getting a hyster. I was 49 and had been experiencing the kind of heavy bleeding you describe for years. My primary care doctor had been dismissing it the same way yours did.

My gyn really didn't expect to find cancer since the biopsy was clear and there are other explanations for thickened lining. When it showed up in the path report after surgery, she said biopsies only miss it in 5% of cases. Lucky me to be in the 5%.

There's a good chance you don't have cancer. If you do, there's a good chance it will be found early. Hysterectomy is often the only treatment needed. Since my bleeding had gone on for years, my endo ca had advanced to Stage 3a. That meant more treatment but my gyn oncologist believes I will have a full recovery with no recurrence. Treatments now are better than ever.

Waiting for appointments and tests and then results was the hardest part of all this. Once I knew what was going on - even though it was worse news than I expected - it was a lot easier to deal with.

Try not to drive yourself too crazy. You have every reason to believe you don't have cancer. Keep us posted.
Unread 10-22-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v7a30l69 View Post
Hello everyone. I am new to this site, although I have been coming on the last couple of days and reading people's posts. Here is my story....

In October 2010, I went in for my physical and told my doctor that my periods had changed. All of a sudden, I was having bad cramps and the bleeding was out of control. It was disgusting. I was bleeding through within an hour with huge, gross clots. My doctor dismissed me and said that it was because I was getting older (I am 42 was 41 at the time). Seeings she is a "professional", I accepted her answer and went on my way. This past year, the heavy bleeding, cramps and now spotting in between has continued. I just went in for my physical this year (saw a different doctor) and just decided to also tell her about it. She sent me for a vaginal ultrasound. They called and told me that I have a thickened uterine lining. I'm like, "what does that mean" and the lady is like, "oh I don't know", the OB/GYN will call you to set up an appointment. I immediately went to my computer and searched it and now I am petrified. Everything I read talks about "CANCER" and "HYSTERECTOMY". I am still waiting for the OB/GYN to call. I'm assuming they will call on Monday but I am obsessing about this. It is all I can think about, day and night. I've told my husband and my sister but all they say is "don't worry, it will be fine". Well I can't help but worry. I am going crazy and I guess this weekend will be no better. Reading others posts seems to calm me some but I won't be relieved until I go to see the OB/GYN. Does anyone know if thickening of the uterine lining is fairly common without it being cancer? Also, if it is a precursor for cancer, than do you think that by not being treated in the last year that I am at a higher risk for cancer??? Any info would be greatly appreciated, even bad news is at least information. Thanks so much.

Vincie
I had at the beginning of the year the same problem: heavy, gross period (mine lasted almost 2 months). I was worried, tired and felt almost anemic. Went to my doctor and he decided to do a D&C. The pathology result came back and basically what I was diagnosed is called complex hyperplasia with aytpia which is a is an overgrowth or thickening of the endometrium (lining of the uterus) which may involve part or all of the endometrium. There is different levels of this disease (endometrial hyperplasia). Mine being complex and with atypia is basically the last step to cancer, but it does not mean it is cancer.If your doctor does a D&C procedure, it will determine if you do have this disease and which level it is at. This could be it, maybe not. I know all I need to do is take care of myself and let the doc monitor it. Just make sure you let your OB/GYN know all your symptoms, your worries and for him or her to refer you to labs and medical test needed just to make sure everything is okay. I know how stressful it sounds, but don't worry beforehand. Treatments nowadays are pretty effective. I surely know everything will be okay. RELAX.
Unread 10-23-2011, 12:42 AM

It is normal for the endometrium to be thickened at certain times of the menstrual cycle. The ultrasound will need to be taken in context.
In a post menopausal woman it is never normal to have a thickened endometrium, however in a premenopausal woman it can mean many things.
With your history of bleeding, the gynecologist will need to do an endometrial biopsy to rule out cancer, but with your age, the thickening could easily be something else.
So try not to get too far ahead of yourself.
Really heavy bleeding does not necessarily mean cancer, I had an advanced cancer and never really had heavy bleeding. Mine was more... continuous.
If it is any consolation, I had my ultrasound AFTER my biopsy and knew I had cancer, and the ultrasound showed the cancer and where it had invaded, much more than just endometrial thickening.

So worst case scenario, you have either a pre cancer or a very early cancer.
But... once again... relax

Janet
Unread 10-23-2011, 07:08 AM

Hi Sweetie,

I know you are very scared as you have read so much already on the Internet butg much of it likely does not pertain to you; the Internet is both blessing and foe. Please heed the wise advice you are being given to not get too far ahead of things. There is a good chance you may NOT even have precancer but as Janet notes the worse case scenario most probably is pre-cancer or very early stage cancer; precancer sometime is cured by non-surgical means while very often with early stage cancer a total hysterectomy can be the full cure.

Please give your doctor's office a call tomorrow morning advising how worried you are and perhaps they can fit you in soonest or perhaps the doctor can talk with you over the phone IF this is what you prefer vice a face to face meeting.

I am sending many positive thought your way. Hang in there just one more day and hopefully you likely will be better informed tomorrow.

Unread 10-24-2011, 01:33 PM

It's always best to do some followup if you have unusual bleeding... ultrasound, and a biopsy or d&c if they feel it's needed. This is particularly important for post menopausal women who experience any bleeding. The biopsy is short and relatively easy and usually they don't find cancer, but if it is there you want to find it early and get it out of there!! And if it isn't cancer, they have a pretty good range of treatments for heavy bleeding, especially if you've finished with childbearing.
Unread 10-25-2011, 10:10 AM

Thanks so much for the info. I was feeling really anxious, however, I have been doing more research and it seems for every thing I read about my symptoms that point to cancer...there is also another article that explains my symptoms as normal. Anyways....I have a doctor appointment on Tuesday, November 1, so I am going to just wait and see. Thanks for the advice/support.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.