HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Progesterone Cream VS Pills?? Progesterone Cream VS Pills??

Unread 10-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Progesterone Cream VS Pills??

My Dr had me pick up some Prog. Cream at the health store for my breasts(They're fibrocystic}. I have yet to use it because when I was seeing a different Dr a year ago he put me on Prog. pills and i about went nuts! I was so mean! Im normal very even tempered and patient on those pills i was a crazy woman. Im wondering if anyone knows if the cream would have the same side affects? My TVH is Nov. 30th , so Im wondering if I should just wait it out and see if they hurt less after surgery. Anyone have any advice?
Unread 10-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Re: Progesterone Cream VS Pills??

Personally, I would prefer the cream as you can adjust the dosage easily.
Unread 10-22-2011, 09:23 PM

Ditto here... I like the cream because you can use only a small amount. I tried oral progesterone (compounded capsules) briefly the first year after my surgery and hated them... but I use a small amount of progesterone cream every night nowadays and do fine on it.

s,
-Linda
Unread 10-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Question - Progesterone Cream VS Pills?? Re: Progesterone Cream VS Pills??

Thanks Ladies. After reading your responses and a few dozen other threads I found, LOL! I decided to finally use my cream. It's the pump kind and it was what I think is expensive $38.00, the Brand is Progesta-Care by Life-flo. My NEW question is this.....My dr told me to rub it on my breast( Im useing it because I have fibro. breasts) so i started at my breast bone and rubbed it in all along the top of my right breast. It seemed like it took forever to rub in. Im wondering did I spread it out too far? (I have 38 c Breasts) Should I have just rubbed it in small spot? And does it even matter??LOL! UGH Anyone???
Unread 10-23-2011, 12:32 PM

I would caution you against putting it on your breasts, especially since you haven't had your surgery yet and (according to your profile) still have working ovaries.

I used to put mine on my breasts; then I found out I had progesterone receptor-positive breast cancer. Bad idea, apparently, at least for me. Why take the chance?

I now put mine on my ankles and the tops of my feet. The important thing is to use it where the skin is thin, so the wrists work well, as do the inner thighs.

s,
-Linda
Unread 10-23-2011, 12:45 PM

I use my progesterone cream on my inner thighs. I would not ever put it on my breasts.
Unread 10-24-2011, 08:08 AM

thanks ladies.Im going to call my DR this morning!! She's the one who told me to put it there. And the directions say "Chest, innner thighs and inner arms! UGH!
Unread 10-25-2011, 10:44 AM

Now im wondering if i used the cream at the right time of the month?? My period wasn't suppose to start til the 28th. After using the cream for two days it started last night! And I woke up with pain I'd rate about a 8 on a scale of 1-10. Im wondering if it's from the cream? I've been in a lot of pain lately but this was really bad!!
Unread 10-25-2011, 04:52 PM

I never used progesterone cream before my tah/bso, although I was on provera for awhile to try and help with the bleeding issues. I don't recall when I was suppose to use it as it was so long ago. Most of us on this side are post hyst so may not have experience with using progesterone cream pre hyst. You really need to call your doctor and report the increase in pain.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.