HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Diarrhea...for this long after ct scan..is this normal?? Diarrhea...for this long after ct scan..is this normal??

Unread 10-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Diarrhea...for this long after ct scan..is this normal??

Okay....I had a pelvic/abdominal ct yesterday at 2.30 pm. Managed to drink the kool aid type drink okay, and the scan went fine.
About an hr after I got home, I started have bouts of diarrhea...about 5-6 episodes) Sorry for TMI!
I managed to sleep the night okay without waking up so, I thought it was over, but this morning, I was still having diarrhea Have had an episode everytime I eat something...it goes straight through. There is not much cramping or blood or anything....just the watery BMs.
I did call the nurse, and she said to keep diet bland, starchy, no fibre etc etc...to call hospital if I feel dizzy, or if there is blood.
I am just concerned that the side effects from the contrast can go on for this long. I was fine before the contrast...noone in the family has gi issues..we are all eating the same food, so I doubt this is a bug.
Has this happened to anyone else?? How long did your side efffects last if you had any?
This is the LAST thing i need...in a week, I will be doing my bowel prep
Unread 10-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Re: Diarrhea...for this long after ct scan..is this normal??

I had a CT with contrast a couple weeks post op. I didn't get the cool aid drink, I got the contrast by IV. No diarrhea for me after this but it did feel like I had a bladder infection afterwards. This lasted longer than I would have expected - about 3 days. I guess it took that long for me to pee it all out. Make sure you drink lots of water.
Unread 10-22-2011, 09:18 PM

sugarandspice....you did not have to drink the nasty kool aid? Lucky you! Was yours a pelvic/abdo ct? Sorry you had to deal with the bladder infection for 3 days
I sure hope this diarrhea does not take that long to clear! I would actually recommend this as a bowel prep :O
I am definitely taking your advice and drinking lots of water.
And hoping for the best !
Unread 10-22-2011, 09:32 PM

I may have preferred the cool aid rather than the IV. I'm a tough stick and I hate getting them. I didn't really get a bladder infection I don't think, it just felt like it. My bladder was "unhappy" after surgery and I guess it didn't enjoy the contrast going through it. Try to take it easy and I hope you feel better soon :-)
Unread 10-22-2011, 09:39 PM

meezer1,

Now that you ask, I did have diarrhea after the CT scan before my appendectomy. It started even before my surgery--within an hour or two. I had to tell the docs and nurses to wait a minute while I ran to the restroom on the way to surgery.

The diarrhea lasted for several days, sorry to say. I called the doc too, he didn't seem to have a clue that the CT koolaid caused it.
I just decided that's what did it to me. (It was better than the constipation after my hyster.)

I hope it clears up for you soon. Maybe we two are just delicate.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.