HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues > Mesh Erosion Support

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Frequent Uti's and pain Frequent Uti's and pain

Unread 10-26-2011, 08:44 AM
Frequent Uti's and pain

Since my surgery in Feb 2011 in which along with a hysterectomy I had a bladder lift with mesh, I have had frequent Uti's, 1 worsened to a kidney infection and lots of pain. Now after having so many UTI's I am actually starting to fit together the type of pain and increased pelvic pain with the UtI's. You see my problem is my bladder has always felt somewhat irritated since surgery and I can't really tell if it burns or feels irritated I just get increased pelvic pain. I am going in for surgery on Nov 1 for mesh repair and release of mesh arm or band. I am so scared that this is not going to fix the problem. Anyone experience the same and have this type of surgery and found that it corrected the problem?
Unread 10-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Re: Frequent Uti's and pain

I know how scared and frustrating you must be. Hopefully this 2nd surgery will be the end of you pain. I wanted to ask how did they figured out that releasing the mesh will stop the cause of you complications ? how did they come to this conclusion ? Reason i ask is because i had a LSH and mesh repair and i am getting alot of pain when i pee and pelvic pain every since week 6. the pain never goes away and also get this burning/slicing pain when i urinate. I hope that you get more answers for more ladies so i wish you the best of luck !

Hope to hear from you soon.
Unread 10-26-2011, 09:08 PM

Actually, this will be the 2nd mesh revision surgery since the original. I actually thought the pain was from the mesh extrusion and then I did have a band which the surgeon thought was scar tissue and she was going to release that, but then during surgery she thought that it was just a ligament and sewed it back up. I continued to have pain pretty much all the time but certain things make it worse and other times when the pain progressively gets worse and really bad I find that I usually have a UTI. Anyway with a physical exam either on my own or by the Dr you can clearly feel a tight band of tissue where it really doesn't belong and with palpation produce pain. I still also have more mesh extrusion. So this band is supposedly a mesh Arm displaced. I guess I'll find out after surgery.
Unread 10-27-2011, 07:27 AM

Sorry for the miss understanding. I now see what you mean and pray that this will once again be the relieve you badly need. You said you were confirm mesh erosion at week 10.... did you have any symptoms before week ten ? did they always feel that bend since before week 10 ? .... I always have UTI symptoms along with the pelvic n hip pains but they test me and everything since to be ok... test back negative. One last question how long did it take you surgeon to finally decide he wants to go back in and try to fix the problem ?( meaning from the time of you first painful symptoms to the time you went in for surgery the first time to correct the mesh problems ?)

I apologies that i cant be helpful to you own concerns, i wish i had an experience to advice you in but sadly i dont. But you information is pretty much helping me clearify some of my situation with my surgery. One again ill be praying for you.

Thank you for sharing you information
Unread 10-31-2011, 12:48 AM

Lallyoop, after my original surgery I could feel I was getting better to a point and then I wasn't progressing instead I felt like I was starting to have more pain as well as discharge. I knew before my Dr even confirmed it just by my own inspection with a mirror while sitting on the toilet and by feel. The could reproduce a pain I felt during sexual intercourse by pressing on this one area that seemed very tight like a band or scar tissue. Apparently it wasn't what she thought when I went to surgery, however another surgeon she spoke with said she didn't cut deep enough or something. I don't know, but the band is more obvious now because I can clearly feel it it almost makes a division within my vagina. The mesh is also very easy to feel and see. The 1st mesh revision surgery was within 2 weeks from my appt. This time has taken so much longer because I had to wait almost 3 months to get seen and my surgery is about 3 weeks since then. Unless you can feel or see something, I'm not sure how else you would know. I had a vaginal ultrasound and it couldn't even detect the mesh that I already knew was exposed. The tech told me the mesh is soft and pliable and just blends in with the tissue. Maybe a ct scan or MRI would show and tell more, but I've never had one.
Good luck on finding an answer.
Unread 11-01-2011, 09:38 PM

I hope more ladies get to see this post ! and can also shedd some light on you situation as well as your question. I really appreciate you responces to mine. I actually saw my surgeon the one that did my LSH and she feels from the symptoms and the urine results with larger counts of blood that i might be having part of the mesh eroding into the bladder and decided to do a cystoscope along with seeing the surgery from the pelvic cavity by introducing the laparascopy camera to view my bladder and surgery site. So i am basically might be getting a surgery to remove mesh from my bladder. That is if they do find it. Once again i thank you for you responses to my questions. I hope you get more feedback to you concerns and questions. Good Luck sister !

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway