HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How much walking should I do 2 weeks post-op hysterectomy How much walking should I do 2 weeks post-op hysterectomy

Unread 10-26-2011, 08:57 AM
How much walking should I do 2 weeks post-op hysterectomy

I am 2 weeks post op TAH. I was just wondering how much walking and excercise should I do?
Unread 10-26-2011, 09:13 AM
Re: How much walking should I do 2 weeks post-op hysterectomy

hello terris1966
i am 8 weeks post op now, and i couldnt walk a lot for the first 5 weeks due to pain and breathlessness, but now im fine, cant run on treadmill yet but can walk on it at a fast pace for at least half hour, so be patient and look after yourself and get lots of rest, just walk round the house, its still early days for you, and if you do too much your body will tell you, give yourself at least 6 weeks recovery time, i did,
take care
Unread 10-26-2011, 10:39 AM

I was wondering about walking too. I am 56 yo and 12 days post op from LATH with both ovaries and rectocele repair. Some hours I am thinking "What am I doing laying around here?" Then soon after just a short walk to the bathroom or to take a shower totally exhausts me for hours. This is not quality living, but it is healing. I was so shocked when the doctor said it would take 6-8 weeks to recover. I have a note to be off work until the end of week 6. I wonder if I'll make it to Thanksgiving?

My biggest challenge will be not to pick up my grandchildren. I have been given restrictions to never pick up more than 5#. My rectocele repair was kind of intense I guess.

I had lost some weight this year by watching what I ate and exercising. Once I started having issues with the rectocele and prolapse, I was afraid to aggravate it more. I am so scared that I will gain the weight back!
Unread 10-26-2011, 12:09 PM

I was just thinking the same thing re moving around & how much is too much. I guess r bodies will be the one's to dictate our progress. The nurse @ my Dr's office said I could do stairs post op (I am in a side split house - no choice but stairs to go to the bathroom). She said the first couple of weeks I could consider them my routine exercise.

The nurse @ the hospital told me to aim to walk at least 3x/day preferably after meals. I guessed about distance and walked about 20' down the street & realized how exhausted I was (THEN had to walk back lol).

I am 8 days post op & can do 1 small block on a good day & just the stairs on a slow achy day.

Hope this helps.
Unread 10-26-2011, 01:51 PM

when i went in for my one week post-op appt, i was told to start walking 20 min for every 2 hours. i know surgery styles are all diff for us, but i'm just offering what i was told to do. getting up & moving around a little at a time helped me get on my feet much faster than if i'd stayed in bed, etc. i was told pre-surgery, that the faster i got up & moved around, the faster i would start feeling closer to normal. so far - it's proven true. for me.

your body will definitely tell you when you're doing too much. but you have to start somewhere. a little at a time........
Unread 10-26-2011, 01:53 PM

I had a TAH and I tried not to do any stairs as long as I could. I live in a split with up stairs and I was doing 3 stairs no problem after one week, but again I did not need to go up stairs.

By week 3 I was walking a 1 mile a day, sometimes twice a day. I walk normal and relaxed with no real speed. By week 4 I was up to 2 miles and now at week 5 I have been doing 3-3.5 miles a day. I take 1 day rest after every 3 because my belly rebels and swells and is not comfortable. I am hoping to do 4 miles a few times next week before I return to work and loss the time I have now.

My Dr. said walk as much as you want but listen to your body. Increase slowly. I was hoping to take advantage of my recovery and eat good and exercise and lose some weight. I have lost a little but no gains which made me happy.

Good luck and LISTEN to your body, we are all different and heal faster or slower than others.

I also started lifting 3 pound weights(sitting) to help with posture and core muscles while strengthening my arms.

Good luck
Unread 10-26-2011, 08:29 PM

I didnt walk til 3 weeks out with rectocele, bladder sling and LAVH. i started with 10 minutes and added 5 minutes each week til I got to thirty min. Worked good for me. And oh my at the 5 lb weight limit with rectocele repair. Mine dr told me 20 lbs at 6 wk check. i will say I am 8 weeks post and I have been helping a few days with my 15 lb grandson and soreness is more. go to dr tomorrow and hope no damage. Why do so many dr say such way different weight limits with slings ans rectocele. i have read everything from 5-40 lbs lifetime
Unread 10-26-2011, 09:35 PM

It all depends on what you had done, I guess, and if you had complications, but the booklet I was given in the hospital says walking is the best exercise, and once I got home I started going for a little daily walk - like 2-3 lamp-posts down the street (remembering I had to walk back!). At about two weeks I was making a journey of 4 blocks (return).
The booklet said listen to your body but build up gradually till you are walking at a brisk pace for 20-30 minutes 3 time a week by 6-8 weeks. (I guess if you are fit, like Machchic, you can do better!)

I am back at work full-time with a sit-down job. Going for a big walk every day in my lunch-break is helping me BIG TIME. I do feel pretty much as fit as I did pre-op., though I haven't put that to the test yet! I used to do a lot of up-hill walking for the sake of my bone density (I am 62)
Just balance activity and walking with some real rest periods - I mean, lying down during the day, but don't lie about too much as the weeks go by (it's still earlyish days for you)
Unread 12-09-2011, 04:01 PM

I'm 2wks postop from TVH and I just started walking on my treadmill a couple days ago. I used 2 run 4mi a day before my surgery so I figured I walk @3mph for 2mi. Last night was my second day and I thought I was doing good minus a lil stiffness but during the night something just didn't feel right. My pressure was worse,pelvic pain got more intense,and my spotting started back up. Is this normal? I really thought I was in good enough shape 2 do the 2miles. My doctor said 2wks and I would be back 2 my normal activities but I don't see this happening. I've been in bed most of the day from the pain,it's not sharp but dull and constant. Sometimes I'll get a sharp pain that'll go down my leg or around my back. Any1 have any ideas or thoughts?
Unread 12-09-2011, 06:07 PM

I started walking laps around the house right away and kept increasing them. Then I started walking to the end of street and back and kept iincreasing the distance. Probably listen to your body on what feels comfortable. I was walking 2 miles by 4 weeks.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.