HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Why do some doctors choose to leave the cervix? Why do some doctors choose to leave the cervix?

Unread 11-10-2011, 06:38 AM
Why do some doctors choose to leave the cervix?

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy but I kept both my ovaries. My friend had one a few months ago and her doctor left her cervix. Just wondering what's the pluses and minuses to leaving or keeping the cervix.
Unread 11-10-2011, 06:56 AM
Re: Why do some doctors choose to leave the cervix?

I have always kind of wondered the same thing. Some doctors feel that if it is a healthy cervix, there is no reason to take it out...others think that they might as well take it out while they are in there so they don't have to go back in somewhere down the line to remove it for other problems.

I was personally happy to see mine go. I don't have to worry about mini periods, cervical cancer, or any of that because it is GONE.

Some people think it affects their sex life too....It hasn't affected mine in least, but some women do have some issues in the bedroom after having their cervix removed.

Like I said, it depends on the doctor and it depends on each individual woman.
Unread 11-10-2011, 07:39 AM

Oh I would hate to have a mini period after going through all this, I'm only at the two week mark, so I have a long road ahead of me...
Unread 11-10-2011, 07:43 AM

As Traci said, a lot of it depends on so many different factors, including the reason for your hysterectomy. My cervix was perfectly healthy, but no way did I want to risk having mini-periods after all the pain. As well, I tended to get one endo lesion in the same spot (cervix) repeatedly, so we thought we'd remove that as a possibility. I have NO regrets about getting it removed - no worries about cancer or periods.

Ah, the two-week mark. It's a long road, but take it easy and settle in to give yourself the best chance at recovering well!
Unread 11-10-2011, 07:51 AM

Oh I've been laid up in the recliner for two weeks now, I'm starting to get restless lol, I have a incision from hip bone to hip bone and my work is already pressuring me to go back, i don't think they fully understand what I'm going through, they think I'm on some sort of vacation, i wish there was a way to make them understand....As for the period issue I'm pumped that I don't' have to worry about periods anymore but do I have to worry about spotting at all?
Unread 11-10-2011, 08:44 AM

There is a belief that keeping the cervix helps prevent prolapse. My DR felt there was no medical data to back that up, but agreed there was no reason to remove it if it was still healthy and would make for a shorter surgery. More important to me, leaving it meant no vaginal cuff and a somewhat easier recovery.

Truthfully, I was originally going to have a TAH, but tales of things gone wrong with vaginal cuffs on this site coupled with my DR's opinion changed my mind, and I opted for a SAH. Surgery ended up being double the length expected due to fibroids not detected on presurgery tests anyway.

My mini periods to date show up as a trace of blood on toliet paper once a month, if that even fits the definition.
Unread 11-10-2011, 08:47 AM

Oh goodness, I sure hope nothing goes wrong with my vaginal cuff, that's just one more thing to worry about....What could go wrong with it??
Unread 11-10-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunRae View Post
Oh goodness, I sure hope nothing goes wrong with my vaginal cuff, that's just one more thing to worry about....What could go wrong with it??
Sometimes they do not heal correctly. They take some time to heal, so just make sure you are following all of your orders and you should be fine. If you ever feel severe pain or have excessive bleeding, you'll need to go to your doctor. You could have damaged the cuff.

I didn't have any problems with mine at all. It wasn't healing right at the 5 week mark, but he zapped it with silver nitrate and it was back on track at my 6 week check up.

Just take it easy and let yourself heal.
Unread 11-10-2011, 09:45 AM

I have my two check up Monday, I wonder if he will check it then? I plan on following all his orders I sure don't want any problems. I have had no bleeding since the surgery but I do the very minimal I stay in my recliner most of the day lol
Unread 11-10-2011, 10:58 AM

Every doctor is different. I don't know if he will check your cuff at the two week point. I didn't have mine checked until 4, if I remember correctly. Good luck. I am sure you will be fine!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.