HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Has anyone had an umbilical hernia repaired at the same time as hyster? Has anyone had an umbilical hernia repaired at the same time as hyster?

Unread 11-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Has anyone had an umbilical hernia repaired at the same time as hyster?

I'm curious if anyone out there has had an umbilical (or any other type of hernia) repaired at the same time as their hyster? I have had this hernia for a while and have talked with a general surgeon who has agreed to come in on the case and fix my hernia after the gyn had completed the hyster. Makes sense since I will only have to do anesthesia once that way. But ironically I think I'm more worried about the hernia repair than the LSH. I think it's mostly because of the mesh he says he will place to repair the hernia. Does anyone have any experience with mesh? I know this is primarily a hyster forum but it's all happening at once for me. I know sometimes people can reject mesh and have problems with it. So I'm kinda worried about it.

I am less than 6 weeks away from my surgery date and have waves of panic, mostly related to the question "Am I making a good choice to have the hyster?" I don't quite have the bleeding issues that so many women have but I have general discomfort and bloating from the firboids. I can literally feel them through my abdomen although the doc said they aren't as big as some. Well, I'm not as big as some women and so I feel them. But I worry about how my body will be after the surgery, both the hyster and the hernia. Will I have other kinds of chronic pain or adhesions? Will I regret it? Will I be worse off than I started? I can't imagine that because I already have a ton of discomfort and bloating, but who knows?
Unread 11-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Re: Has anyone had an umbilical hernia repaired at the same time as hyster?

I cannot offer personal experience with the hernia surgery, but my sis had an inguinal hernia repair via lap and she said it was nothing.
I am going to have my hernia fixed as well during my LSH, but AFTER yours. Please keep us posted how it goes.
Riggs
Unread 11-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Re: Has anyone had an umbilical hernia repaired at the same time as hyster?

I cannot answer your hernia question.

Regarding your surgery for your hyster, and whether you are making the right choice - that is a tough one. You have to make the right choice for you. I know that is not what you want to hear, but it is the truth. Talk to your doctor about this: your quality of life, your period issues, your issues in general with your health, whether there are other options that might address the fibroids, etc.

Regarding how your body will react, everyone is different. I know, not the answer you want to hear either. I am personally not in chronic pain, but it took one month post-op to not be on pain pills. I am still recovering 6 months post-op, and it will probably be a full year post op before my energy level returns to normal (I am 46). I am on ERT, because I loss everything, including both ovaries. I will not lie to you - I do feel different. The ERT makes me feel much better than without it. But, I do not feel the same as when I had my uterus and ovaries (my surgery was mostly for a large ovarian cyst, but also fibriods).

Good luck to you. I know this is not an easy decision to make.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway