HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Bladder cut during hysterectomy Bladder cut during hysterectomy

Unread 11-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Bladder cut during hysterectomy

I had a partial hysterectomy and my bladder was cut in the process it was sewed up but I got a blood clot in my catheter and they think that it found the weakest point were it was sown back together but I was told that the bladder could possibly heal itself without anymore surgery is this true? Has anyone had this happen?
Unread 11-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Re: Bladder cut during hysterectomy

My bladder was cut also - tests results last week showed that there was still blood in my urine. The doc gave me a few weeks to see if it would "heal itself" so it is possible. I'm dreading more surgery so I hope for both of us that our bodies heal without intervention!
Good luck!
Unread 12-02-2011, 11:00 AM

I had LAVH total hysterectomy on 11/18. One week later I started wetting myself. Yesterday went to have several tests done to determine if I have a hole in my bladder and leaking into vagina. Altho the tests came back negative the urologist had me do a tampon test. He gave me pills that turned my pee blue, told me to wear tampon overnite and when I pulled it out the tampon was blue. There must be a very tiny hole that no one can see. So today I'm heading back to urologist, they will put in a catheter which should allow total drainage of my bladder via the catheter without putting any pressure on my bladder which hopefully will stop the leakage into the vagina. Once leakage stops they anticipate that the hole will repair itself in a couple of weeks. So that's the plan for now and I hope to god it works cause I dont want another major surgery.
Unread 12-07-2011, 07:13 AM

Stumblebuny,

I have the same issue...I'm wearing a catheter as of Monday 12-5 and have my "bag" attached to my leg...it's so frustrating. Doctor calls it vesicovagina fistula. I have to see a urologist also....the hope is that wearing the catheter for 6-9 weeks the hole will heal itself. I still have leakage from the vjj and have to wear a pad....dr said I could wear a tampon to help the drainage....it's upsetting because having the subtotal hysterectomy I was told no more periods....therefore no more pads or tampons....long road ahead! Sending prayers of healing without having surgery to you and all those going through the same thing!
Unread 12-08-2011, 07:41 AM

Thanks for the reply's ! I recently went back to the doctor and luckily my bladder had healed itself and now just the rest of the healing process. I am 4 weeks post Friday. Also the best thing you can do is see the urologist. Talking with them will help you more my gyno was ready to do more surgery but not the urologist he told me the bladder does very well at healing itself but even if I would have had to have more surgery dealing with the bladder the urologist would have done it. I just wish they would tell you prior to surgery this is a very common issue. I wish the best for you I know the pain you are going through.
Unread 12-08-2011, 11:39 AM

Update on my prognosis. So after many tests it was determined that my left ureter was damaged. They removed the catheter since that wasn't doing me any good and scheduled me for surgery. I had the surgery yesterday and just got home. The first part of the surgery (Sistoscopy) was to determine whether the urologist could feed a catheter and stent thru my bladder up to the kidney. THat would have stopped the flow of urine thru my vagina (which created a fistula) and after 3 weeks potentially allowed the ureter to heal. But the damage to the ureter was to extensive so they instead put a drainage tube into my left kidney and out my backside into a bag which I wear on my leg. This will be left in for 3 weeks and again stop leakage into my vagina and hopefully allow the damage area to "calm down". I will have another surgery in about 3 weeks. The urologist will use the same incisions that were used for my hystercotomy and the fix will be done with the Da Vinci Robot. Basically he's going to cut away the piece of damage ureter and then create a new connection into my bladder.
Recovery is 6 weeks, of which 2 weeks I will have a Foley catheter and will be restricted in my physical activity such as no working out, no lifting etc but I should be able to work etc.

I had my hysterectomy in order to protect my ureters because the large fibroid was interfering with their normal function. My gyno did tell me that 1% of hysterectomies result in damaged ureters but she never experience one using the DaVinci....so I was her first. She actually felt so bad that she came to sit with me yesterday while I waited for surgery and she was also in the operating room during the procedure. I don't blame her - it is what it is and now I just want to be fixed on on the road to recovery.

Gizmo30 - that's great news and hopefully the rest of your recovery will be quick and without further incidence.

Pukkajo - 6-9 weeks with a catheter - that sounds unusual. Every thing that I've researched and people I've talked to say it takes 10-14 days or maybe 3 weeks. Also if you are still having the same amount of drainage thru vj then the urologist should order a CT Urogram to rule out ureter damage becuase that's exactly how my tests progressed.
Good luck

Hugs to all
Unread 12-10-2011, 02:27 AM

Thanks Stumblebunny! I scheduled an appointment with the urologist and the first available appointment is Dec. 20. I agree that 6-9 weeks is a long time. Yes, my drainage seems just as bad eventhough I'm collecting urine in my bag, I still soak a pad. Basically, I leak when I walk. It's an awful feeling. I wish I could get in earlier....not sure if it's fair to say it's an emergency since there are problably others with the same problem.

Thanks!
Unread 12-10-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukkajo View Post
Thanks Stumblebunny! I scheduled an appointment with the urologist and the first available appointment is Dec. 20. I agree that 6-9 weeks is a long time. Yes, my drainage seems just as bad eventhough I'm collecting urine in my bag, I still soak a pad. Basically, I leak when I walk. It's an awful feeling. I wish I could get in earlier....not sure if it's fair to say it's an emergency since there are problably others with the same problem.

Thanks!
Dec 20!? That's not right. Maybe you should call the surgeon who did the hysterectomy and complain and have them get you an appt right away with urologist or at least have them get you started on CT Scan etc to find out where the problem is. When my urologist first saw me he inserted a camera up the urethra and then up my vagina cause he could not find a hole in my bladder but he figured maybe the hole was so small he couldn't see it. So he decided to put in catheter and see what happened. At the same time he ordered a CT Urogram becasue I think he was pretty sure it was ureter damage and not bladder damage. And so it was confirmed. Please do whatever you need to in order to get positive confirmation of what is going on ASAP and next steps. THis is an emergency - urine shouldn't be coming out of your vagina - period.

My next surgery is Jan 4 - urologist told me to "hang in there, we're going to get you fixed up good as new". That's my mantra for the New Year.
Unread 12-10-2011, 04:45 PM

With tears in my eyes...I am going to do that for sure! I am totally soaking pads....I tried to go shopping today for Christmas but didn't get much accomplished due to my leakage. Thanks you! I plan on calling first thing next week.
Unread 12-10-2011, 06:13 PM

Wow, Sad to hear Dr's are still Cutting bladders after Hysterectomies. I had my bladder sliced during my TAH in 2008. It was repaired but developed a large Fistula, which was repaired after the third surgery. I have leaked urine since 2008, was even leaking when i had a cath for 8 months. I just had bladder sling surgery 6 wks ago and it didn't work so far. The leaking continues... I am so tired. I probably spent thousands of $$$$$ on pads, meds, Dr visits, Hotels for Dr visits, since my Uro is 4 hrs away. Gas, not to mention the toll it takes on my family, job, my life both physically and mentally. I hope this is over soon!! My prayers for your road ahead. I pray it will be over soon.

Lea

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway