HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

burning pain in left hip, siatic nerve?? burning pain in left hip, siatic nerve??

Unread 12-23-2001, 07:37 AM
burning pain in left hip, siatic nerve??

Hello all... I am so greatful for this site. I could never have gotten thru the last 9 days without you all! Had a falied LAVH (to much bleeding) then TAH + ovaries and A&P repair on 12/14. Have been doing well overall until 2 days ago. Started with occasional burning sensation in left hip when getting out of car (DB driving). It has goten progressively worse over the last 24 hours. I had a c-section 20 years ago and had a similar expereince. Had hip pain for 6 months! I am not sure if this is the same thing. Has anyone else had this kind of intense burning pain. It is on the outside of the left hip about where you would put your hands on your hips. Also, I have ample hips It seems to be rlated to any kind of twisting motion to he right... like getting out of bed and out of cars. Even rollong over in bed and getting out of some chairs. AKA happens a lot!!!
Unread 12-23-2001, 08:10 AM

Hi DiveGirl!

Welcome to HysterSisters!

I have not experienced the sensation you describe; you may be right about the sciatic nerve -- perhaps a call to your DR is in order.

Glad you have found us! Take care - let us know what you find out from your DR.

Welcoming s,
Unread 12-23-2001, 10:29 AM

DiveGirl,

Yes, I have a similar pain. The other night the pain was excruciating. I awoke in tears because every move or twisting motion caused this searing, burning pain deep in my hip area but also near my incision corner! I remember this kind of pain with my c-sections also, just not quite as intense. I truly thought something terrible was wrong!! My husband was ready to make a trip to the ER!! I took two percocets and managed to sleep the remainder of the night. The next day I was sore and I "knew" the pain was just below the surface laying in wait!! I don't know what caused it. I thought maybe nerve regeneration or perhaps the last residual stitches dissolving, or perhaps I pulled the corner of my incision too abruptly when twisting to one side? I had seen my doctor the day before and thought maybe she moved things around a bit much!?? Anyway, it seems to be gone, although if I turn to the left I definitely feel a tug and soreness that I don't have elsewhere.

Just wanted you to know you are not alone. I woke this morning thinking I would post a question about this pain and see if anyone else is experiencing it! I think if it doesn't subside you should call your doctor though! Better safe than sorry!!

Sandy
TAH/BSO 11/15
Unread 12-23-2001, 10:51 AM

Yep, me too.

It went from my left pubic bone/abdomin area, around the top of my hip bone, and down to my lower back on the left side.

It was really painful the first few days - taking a shower in the hospital was the most painful thing I've ever done, because of the water just running over my skin. Having the bandage off and staples out was a close second.

My doctor explained that it was probably from a nerve caught in a stitch, and that if I really wanted to he could open me up again and try to fix it, but he's found it tends to clear up on its own in a few weeks anyway. I opted for letting it clear up on its own.

At least by knowing it was "just a nerve" I didn't stress over it. Yeah, it hurt, but I wasn't worried that something was coming loose, or that anything structural was wrong inside. So I took pain meds as needed (Aleve helps!), and ignored it as best I could.

For the first few weeks it was very noticeable, and sometimes pretty annoying, especially if I got tired or did too much. Still, except on a few occassions during the first few weeks it didn't stop me from doing anything. Activity didn't seem to make it worse, so there was no point in avoiding doing stuff.

I asked my chiropractor about it - told him where it was, etc., and he said something to the effect of "Oh yeah, *that* nerve." I don't know if it's sciatic, or what, but the pattern of the sensation is textbook characteristic of a particular nerve. That also helped put my mind at ease, knowing my gyn wasn't just blowing smoke, and that it actually was a nerve thing.

At my 4 week post-op check it was still there, but much improved. I mentioned it to my doctor, and he said "maybe it'll take a few months."

Sure enough, it's gotten progressively less and less. I'm just past one year now, and if I stop to pay attention I can tell it's still there, as kind of a sunburn/irritation feeling on the top-front of my left hip bone. It doesn't bug me, and it's nothing compared to what I was going through before my hyst.

I've considered seeing an accupunturist about it, but haven't been that motivated. You might give that a try if it's bugging you. I hope yours will dissipate over time, too. It might take quite a while though.
Unread 12-24-2001, 06:50 AM
normal

I had the same porblem and thought the pain was going to kill me. I went to my and he said that it was nerve caught in a stitch and should clear up with time and some lidocaine shots. I had 4 lidocaine shots wich helped temporarily. The pain seems to be less but it still bothers me when I am on my feet too much. I work 12 hour shifts as an L&D nurse so it is sometimes hard to take it easy. It really bothers me after a busy night at work. I am not ready for another surgery so until it is "killing" me I am willing to live with it. But again, it seems to bother me less and less. Certainly nothing a hot bubble bath can't fix!

Best of luck and Happy Holidays,
Georgia

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.