HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Excessive thirst!! Excessive thirst!!

Unread 11-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Excessive thirst!!

I'm about 7 weeks post op and am having extreme thirst for water for some reason. Did anyone else have this after surgery???
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Re: Excessive thirst!!

Please go to your regular doctor and have yourself checked for diabetes. I am not a doctor but excessive thirst this far out from surgery is not normal.
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:23 PM

Just another that as well, of course call your doc. But for me taking pain medications makes me thirsty. And I regular drink tons and tons of water though. I drank tons and tons of water even first day right after surgery. I drink well over the regular required amount of water we should drink daily.
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:52 PM

Hi,
I am about 11 weeks post op and have felt super-dehydrated. Even my skin felt dried up.

I have increased the water intake and also added a humidifier to add moisture to the air.

I read somewhere that the extreme dryness can be a part of the experience after hysterectomy (dry vagina and including all membranes, dry skin, hair, etc).

Maybe it is part of the hormone adjustment issues.
Unread 11-30-2011, 05:36 AM

Thanks for all the advice! I have a feeling it is related to the hormone adjustments as well but was just wondering if I was the only one that had experienced this!
Unread 01-20-2012, 11:17 PM
Excessive thirst!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsecond View Post
I'm about 7 weeks post op and am having extreme thirst for water for some reason. Did anyone else have this after surgery???
Hello! Just wondering if you ever contacted your Dr regarding your excessive thirst? Or did it go away? I am a little over 4 weeks and soooooo thirsty. I'll drink glass after glass of water and feel like I haven't had a drop. Just came on a couple days ago. I did keep my ovaries but here they can "go to sleep" for a while? Maybe it's hormones? Hoping so and not diabetes.
Anyways, just curious! Thanks!
Unread 01-20-2012, 11:34 PM

Hi...I too am thirsty all the time. I feel like my entire body has been drained of all fluid, lubricant etc. I'm toying with the idea of beginning HRT for the first time post-op. I'm afraid I'll gain weight though and I lost 50 lbs last year. Not sure what to do. Are you on HRT?
Unread 01-21-2012, 07:44 AM

Thanks for your reply. No, I'm not on HRT. I kept my ovaries, but wondering if they're functioning properly. I go back for my 6 week checkup on Feb 2 so I will talk to my Dr then. My eyes are also very dry, but that was happening before my hysterectomy. I haven't noticed vaginal dryness yet, but I'm not cleared for intercourse yet either.
Congrats on losing 50 lbs! And good luck w/ what you decide regarding HRT. Talk to your doctor. I hear there are lots of options these days and maybe some all natural routes to go?
Unread 01-21-2012, 09:37 AM

I am only a week and a half past surgery, but I can't get enough to drink either!
Unread 01-21-2012, 03:36 PM

Both ovaries removed and I keep waking up with a dry mouth and hot flashes that last about 2 minutes. Oh and usually have to pee. So I get up, go to the bathroom and get a drink and and by the time I'm back in bed the hot flash is over.

I assumed that all of the above is related somehow. No diabetes but probably more to do with removal of both ovaries.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.