HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues > Mesh Erosion Support

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Need my sling removed Need my sling removed

Unread 12-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Unhappy - Need my sling removed Need my sling removed

Oh Ladies, I am so down it isn't funny - and you dear souls are so helpful!! I had a LAvH and bladder sling done Nov. 8, 2010 - lots of problems, infections, urine retention, etc. Saw my gyne who did my surgery probably more times than I care to think. In March, 2011 he sent me to a uro who said the bladder had fallen over the sling - crosswise- and urine didn't know where to go and that's why so many infections. Said he was sending me back to my gyne to see if he would operate again to get the bladder off the sling - so April 18, 2011 I had the 2nd surgery for a level 2 cystocele. Gyne was worried about 'foreign' bodies in me and did it the old fashion way, all stitches. Again, numerous infections and numerous Dr. visits and now atrophy of my vag tissues! I am on HRT - and became sensitive to that , too. So-o-o, long story short - he sent me to a midlife womens' health center for an eval there - seeing as how severe pelvic pain landed me in the ER the night before (they are really not equipped to help women with pelvic pain in the ER. Here's what dr. jerk said to me: "so what did they do for you the last time you were in such pain?" I wanted to say to him well if I knew that I wouldn't have come here would I? I would have taken care of it myself at home and saved the ER bill)
Anyway, the lady uro at the womens' center couldn't have been kinder or more sympathetic, but her diagnosis blew me away. She believes all my problems are sling related and that it should come out!! Furthermore, I have to see a surgeon who does this here in Pittsburgh this Tuesday - i'm so scared. I cried all the way home. On the way home I called my gyne's office and spoke to his nurse ( a real help,too) and she freaked out. I said the lady uro was sending him a report on her findings. That night, he called me and he kind of freaked out too, claiming that is such a tremendous surgery, but then recovered and became his old prof self again. I think he was trying to put me at ease and spoke to me for over a half an hour - all the way to his house. He said he was curious what her report said and he advised me to keep the Tuesday appt. We also discussed since removing the sling is such a delicate specialty, which hospitals have someone skilled - he also said Cleveland Clinic wasn't too far from Pgh. He calmed me down - which I really needed.
Frankly, I had asked him if it was the sling when I saw him last week following the ER fiasco and he said No, he didn't think so. I trust him, but I am always in pain - and it's been one year since the first surgery, almost 8 mos since the second. I told him I can't even wrap my head around a third surgery!!
Hubby (long suffering, too) says there won't be another surgery unless I say so - it's up to me. But I can't go on like this- my insides hurt all the time and I can't sit or walk for long. this is no life. And my gyne tod me at my last visit that I've had so many inf. to just call in for the meds - I don't have to go in. He also said he doesn't know what's causing all my pain.
I know this is a long vent, but you don't know the half of it. This site and you ladies are a godsend. Anyting you can tell me about removal of slings would be great. I've got a feeling it may just have to happen.
Old Chick
Unread 12-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Re: Need my sling removed

I've been reading posts on this forum for a long time and some women write about the same kind of symptoms you are having and do have their slings removed. Many have gone to a urogyne at UCLA who specializes in mesh removal and has removed all of the mesh--even the "arms", which many doctors who remove mesh won't do. I had a poterior prolift sling removed and the doctor didn't remove the arms. I wasn't in the same kind of pain you are experiencing, just pain with intercourse and mesh erosion.

If I were you, I would try to go to a urogyne who specializes in mesh removal AND one who can remove ALL of it.

Good luck.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway