HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Howlong did it take your abdominal incision to heal? Howlong did it take your abdominal incision to heal?

Unread 12-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Howlong did it take your abdominal incision to heal?

I am nine weeks post op and had infection two different times. My incision still leaks spots sometimes and is not healed in the center. I am worried about another infection. It seems to be closed everywhere except there.

How long has it taken yours to heal? I usually heal very quickly.
Unread 12-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Re: Howlong did it take your abdominal incision to heal?

Mine was completely closed by 6 weeks. At 3 weeks, once the steri-strips were off, I noticed that I had a single stitch sticking out of a pin hole at the end of the incision. The rest of the incision was healed. I kept an eye on the stitch and tugged on it (big mistake). At the end of 4 weeks, it got infected and I needed antibiotics. Within a week or so, it was completely healed.

Some ladies just seem to take a long time and other heal right up. Make sure your doctor keeps an eye on yours.
Unread 12-19-2011, 09:07 PM

6 weeks for me. Mine got infected at 2 weeks post op, opened up in three places, but was closed by 6 weeks. I think sometimes is just takes a long time.
Unread 12-19-2011, 09:09 PM

I've got a 17 cm. incision. It oozed for half a day in hospital, and then healed up with no further problems.
I had dissolving stitches, and kept it covered with steri-strips for weeks.
I have a dark red scar - ugly - but I now realise I've been lucky to have no healing problems at all.

Sorry for all who have had infections, oozing and other issues
Unread 12-19-2011, 09:32 PM

my incision was vertical and 8 1/2 inches long I am almost 4 1/2 weeks my incision is all but healed. I had two spots at the bottom of the incision that were weeping dr said it was because there were internal stitches under those spots. But I am puttint polysporin on it and keeping a bandaid on it cleaning and changing it everyday and it is slowly healing.

But everyone heals differently...maybe ask your dr if you can put polysporin and a bandaid on it it may help
Unread 12-20-2011, 05:34 AM

Hi

Reading this I am not sure if I am just lucky or had an amazing surgeon - my scar was glued together on the top layer (with dissolving stitches underneath) at the time it really worried me - It is now 4 weeks since the operation my scar had completely knitted together by 2 1/2 weeks and now I have what looks like a red pencil line down my stomach.
Get some advice - I have used bio oil to help my scar mend. Ask your doctor and rest loads.
Unread 12-20-2011, 08:10 AM
Howlong did it take your abdominal incision to heal?

My bikini incision: staples removed on day 5. closed completely at 2 an a half weeks. Hasn't given me any problems. Once it closed, I blowdry it after showers bc I've heard that keeping it moist delays the healing process. It worked wonderfully for me.
Unread 12-20-2011, 08:38 AM

I had my abdominal Dec 1st. I have a 7in horizontal incision way down under the bikini line. I had 19 metal stitches that were removed day 8 by my family doctor because I was released from hospital day 3 due to my very fast recovery. Now I see I am very lucky. My scar is healed. I have one spot that is still reddish, but I keep showering every day and adding polysporin after shower. I gave up covering the wound since day 10 - 2 days after they removed my staples, when I saw there are no more spots on my bandage - which meant for me the wound was closed. The actual scar is hard when touching it and inside I also feel an approx. 2 inches wide area that is hard as well, but I believe this is normal. I know the wound is still healing because it's itchy...:P
My worry now is the "extra skin" hanging over the wound. My 3 fibroids were pretty big ...13 cm the largest one...I had like a 4-5 month pregnancy belly before my surgery and I suppose there is where the "extra skin" is coming from. I am wondering if it's normal and if and when should I expect it to go away..
Unread 12-20-2011, 10:45 AM

I have a vertical incision, steri strips, dissolving sutures underneath.

At 2 weeks post op, I had the strips removed and my incision was completely closed (scabbed over). I had no infections. I did notice one spot at the top that looked like a scab and the new skin wasn't growing over it. I got a pair of tweezers and tried to pull it off. I pulled a stitch, lol. It looked like a very thin, white, cotton fiber and it hurt. I just snipped it off and my skin grew over it after about a week.

My incision seems to be wider than what some ladies have posted. Mine is as wide as a pencil, not a pink pencil line
Unread 12-20-2011, 01:49 PM

I had bikini line incision and am 7 weeks post op. For some strange reason the left side and centre side was closed within 2 weeks with no pain or irritation, but my right side took another 2 weeks and was pink though not gaping! It also stung quite a bit.
I wondered if it was because I had been taking baths since day 3 after my op. In any case, I carried on with my baths but tipped mild antiseptic into the water. everything totally healed externally in 4 weeks.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.