HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

can't take estrogen, cause of Breast cancer can't take estrogen, cause of Breast cancer

Unread 12-21-2011, 11:39 AM
can't take estrogen, cause of Breast cancer

I just had total abd. hysterectomy. Im having vaginal dryness, and I am having severe hot flashes, but I can not take any estrogen, because I have history of estrogen receptor positive breast cancer. Im not sure what I can do if I cant take estrogen.
Unread 12-21-2011, 11:53 PM
Re: can't take estrogen, cause of Breast cancer

Talk with your oncologist... I've had ER+/PR+ breast cancer as well. My oncologist prescribes either Estring or Vagifem to any of her patients who have issues with vaginal dryness. The effect is almost exclusively local.

I hope your oncologist will agree that vaginal estrogen is OK for you. If not, you might try Vitamin E vaginal suppositories. If you google "Carlson Key-e" you should be able to find them. Not as effective as the vaginal estrogen products, but very soothing nonetheless.

s,
-Linda
Unread 12-22-2011, 10:18 AM

Thank you, I don't think I can live with V dryness.
Unread 01-02-2012, 12:02 AM

My dr. recommends Effexor, an antidepressant that helps many with hot flashes who cannot take HRT. Glad to hear your situation as I had my HRT pulled when diag. w/ BC in May. Nice to come here and be reminded I'm not alone. Hot flashes are getting pretty terrible now & I'm considering the Effexor.
Unread 01-02-2012, 09:50 AM

Thanks, my dr. suggested effexor too, but I really don't want to take another drug. Its the vaginal dryness that is terrible. The hot flashes are bad but I have been able to tolerate them. Im going to ask my oncologist if I can take the vaginal estrogen.
Unread 01-02-2012, 09:52 AM

How is the vaginal estrogen? Do you use it all the time or just before having sex?
Unread 01-02-2012, 10:31 AM

It's used regularly, *not* when you're having sex -- otherwise you could transfer it to your partner. For intercourse, a good lubricant would also be advisable, at least until the dryness problem goes away.

s,
-Linda
Unread 01-02-2012, 05:23 PM

I can't take estrogen either because of a strong family history of breast cancer. I tried the Effexor for the hot flashes, but had to switch to Wellbutrin because of my insurance. It took a little time for me to get to the dosage that works for me, but it really has helped. My doctor also has me using Vagifem once a week. So far so good.
Unread 01-02-2012, 07:47 PM

Do your homework before you start Effexor. I can tell you YES it works for hot flashes and night sweats. But that is it!!! It will kill your sex drive!!! And possibly your marriage. I have been a miserable beast of a woman for a year now. I am working on coming off the Effexor and it is a long hard road. You have to come down off it slowly. So slowly that I am bead counting to wean off the lowest dosage there is just to avoid the side effects. Do your homework!!! Dr's are quick to prescribe it but have no clue how to get you off of it.
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:45 AM

I don't plan on taking effexor. I just want something to help with the intimacy, painful intercourse, and vaginal dryness. The hot flashes are bad but not bad enough to take an antidepressant.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.