HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Answering colleagues' "How are you"? Answering colleagues' "How are you"?

Unread 12-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Answering colleagues' "How are you"?

Next week will be 6 weeks post-op and I'll likely return to work. I'm recovering well but still have pains, exhaustion, am new to menopause.
Any suggestions on how to answer when colleagues/boss asks "how are you?" I don't want to sound like a complainer or give too much info, but also don't want to say I'm good and be expected to immediately perform at 110%, work late, etc.
I've noticed that friends expect me to be ready for action because I'm looking like myself again. Am guessing my boss will be the same.
Unread 12-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Re: Answering colleagues' "How are you"?

My friends and family did not expect me to be back to normal even though I looked well... but you are correct about work ! I dressed nice and put make up on and they all figured I was doing just fine!

when they asked... i would tell them that I still get very tired and will miss my daily naps. I would tell them that I am still uncomfortable sitting for long periods because I was accustomed to relaxing on my couch propped up with pillows.

... and I would also advise your manager that there may be some day you will need to leave a couple hours early... because you are still in recovery and want to make sure you don't have a relapse and have to be out another six weeks.

Good luck going back to work... and if anyone wants to treat you special... let them!!
Unread 12-27-2011, 01:45 PM

For most people, I just say, "I'm recovering well, thank you so much for asking" and leave it at that. For people who are closer or who need to know, I add in "but sometimes I need a little help in doing things, can I count on you to help?"
Unread 12-27-2011, 02:12 PM

Anytime someone made the comment that I "must be 100% by now", I always let them know the statistics...40% at 6 weeks, 80% at 6 months and up to one year to get to 100%. I know I didn't believe it before. Once you tell them that, in a factual manner, they tend to back off and rethink about what you have been through.

The best you can do is listen to your body, rest when you need to and don't be bullied into doing more than you can. Remind your manager that 75% of you at work is better than 100% of you at home because you overdid it.

Good luck!
Louba
Unread 12-27-2011, 02:20 PM

I'm dreading the same thing. The doc has me out until the 1st of Feb, but due to year end bonus and performance discussions, I will likely go back a bit sooner... when the doc originally told me 6-8 weeks I sort of thought it was excessive... I'm now at 3 weeks and suffering from the "you look good" syndrome - and thinking I need to be 100% before I go back... Of course "looking good" now is because I take 2 hours to shower and get dressed 3 x a week when company is coming - if I had to get ready daily for work, I could not do it -- the holidays taught me that even sitting and enjoying company was too much - now its back to PJ's and the old movies on TV between short walks, light house duty and slowly getting myself back together.

I even had a colleague show up in the hospital the day I was being discharged... That got me thinking that I needed my privacy more than ever and that I needed to take this time for myself. - Have given far too much of myself in the past 2 years and need to recuperate properly!!!

Stay well!
Unread 12-27-2011, 02:34 PM

i was informed by a MALE customer saturday(i'm a waitress) that its been 6 weeks and i was better.i wanted to tear his head off.he's aknow-it-all.i told him i didnt know what he was talking about that i wasnt better just got cleared to work and that's THAT. probably i sounded like a ***** but i have barely had any help at home and since the maid had her operation my house has been a mess.
but everyone is so misinformed i was always told i would be better by 6 weeks and even i thought you were 100% at 6 weeks after ANYONE had hysterectomy.people are trained to think this at 6 weeks so from now on i am only saying i have been cleared to work but i am not 100% better.anybody that started this phrase better 100% 6 weeks needs to be publicly flogged
Unread 12-27-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louba View Post
Anytime someone made the comment that I "must be 100% by now", I always let them know the statistics...40% at 6 weeks, 80% at 6 months and up to one year to get to 100%. I know I didn't believe it before. Once you tell them that, in a factual manner, they tend to back off and rethink about what you have been through.

The best you can do is listen to your body, rest when you need to and don't be bullied into doing more than you can. Remind your manager that 75% of you at work is better than 100% of you at home because you overdid it.

Good luck!
Louba
Really couldn't have said it better!!
Unread 12-27-2011, 04:26 PM

I'm so glad you posted this!
I've been wondering the same thing. I too had texts from coworkers just out of surgery-and due to morphine I texted them back unfortunately. Now my managers are gone for this week,but once they return, I plan to not answer my phone, as they said I could not work from home when I offered, so I take that both ways, as I wont answer their questions when they start up their calls and texts again, which they certainly will.

I hope to get shorter hours, though I can't afford that really, I just know that I cannot give them full time hours so fast when I return after all this recovery.

I'm too tired of other woman who have had this at work saying piece of cake-I recovered in half the time, etc. Darn them.

I'm sure if men had any equivilant surgery, they'd be out double the time we woman are!
Unread 12-27-2011, 04:44 PM

I go back to work...teaching...Jan. 3rd...My plan is to leave right after school for a couple of weeks instead of staying the extra hour after...my job is flexible enough that I can sit when I need...I teach 3rd grade...and even though they are still quite young...they are quite independent at that age...I think it will be the grading that will get to me at the beginning...but I have some great moms in my class that have offered to help with that. I am blessed that I teach at a small private school...I know those first weeks I will come home exhausted and will probably sleep as soon as I get home...but also it will help me mentally to be back to work...not to be so focused on myself and every ache and pain that I experience.

I know I am not completely healed...still need to take it easy...but it will be good to get back to some sort of normalcy...with that said I will not hesitate to let my coworkers and administrators know that I need to still take it easy...and to be on "light duty" so to speak for a few weeks.
Unread 12-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Answering colleagues' "How are you"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy1970 View Post
I'm so glad you posted this!
I've been wondering the same thing. I too had texts from coworkers just out of surgery-and due to morphine I texted them back unfortunately. Now my managers are gone for this week,but once they return, I plan to not answer my phone, as they said I could not work from home when I offered, so I take that both ways, as I wont answer their questions when they start up their calls and texts again, which they certainly will.

I hope to get shorter hours, though I can't afford that really, I just know that I cannot give them full time hours so fast when I return after all this recovery.

I'm too tired of other woman who have had this at work saying piece of cake-I recovered in half the time, etc. Darn them.

I'm sure if men had any equivilant surgery, they'd be out double the time we woman are!
Hi! Also if u are out on disability you want to stay "out of work" so you don't compromise. Its important to follow the rules so u don't wind up with them saying you're ready before you are just because you've been trying to help out. Draw the line, get better and return when u are 100%. Those porople will not be there if you have long term complications.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.