HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Exactly why do our hips hurt after hysterectomy? Exactly why do our hips hurt after hysterectomy?

Unread 12-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Exactly why do our hips hurt after hysterectomy?

I am having bad low back pain, and I believe hip pain. It can be sharp at times when I move. But is constantly hurting.

I have noticed other women saying their hips hurts as well, WHY DO OUR HIPS HURT AFTER HYSTER? I don't get it?

Any one else having this problem? Hip pain, worse low back pain?
Unread 12-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Re: Exactly why do our hips hurt after hysterectomy?

I just posted that question in another post. I have the worst hip and back pain today (left, lower back). NOTHING is helping; medication, heating pad, etc... I've heard from others that this is normal.
Unread 12-27-2011, 05:46 PM

Same here! Never had hip pain before and now it hurts when I sit a certain way! I am guessing positioning during surgery. My surgery was October 27th and I would assume this would have gone away by now but it hasn't. At least I am not the only one. I thought I did something to it but others are having the same problem!
Unread 12-27-2011, 06:02 PM

I'm hitting my six month point and I am getting hip/joint pain. Apparently this is not unusual. I had relatively good recovery after abdominal incision and "everything" removed.

If you search this sight, you will find other posts with the same question. I workout and have been for the past four months to regain strength. Energy levels are still struggling too. Could be hormones. I'm on a .75 estrogen patch and progesterone troche. Anyway, it was actually a little relieving to read others having similar symptoms because I was really beginning to worry......
Unread 12-27-2011, 07:21 PM

I am 14 days post op (TVH), and I am also experiencing back pain... The doc says at first it is out position during the surgery, but I would not think it would last forever... I did read that the vaginal cuff is tacked to the ligament in our lower back/ pelvic region... I just hope it doesn't last forever
Unread 12-27-2011, 09:42 PM

I have nothing of value to add, but as I lay here now my hips and tops of my thighs ache horribly. I have been told nerves as the culprit, but it is and has been awful for the entire post op...now 4 weeks. It aches so much that it brings tears to my eyes. Walking helps for a few minutes, but that's it. I have about had it with the aches, but have no idea how to fix it.
Unread 12-27-2011, 10:59 PM

What I find odd about my hip pain is that I didn't have it during recovery at all. It's only just started in the last month - my fifth month!! Nerves being cut would make sense. I definitely have nerve "stings" in my abs as it heals. I was warned that it would take a year before I felt normal again but I didn't believe them...lesson learned.

BTW - it's good days and not so hot days. It's not all bad and when I think it is, I get lost on Pintrest. Good distraction!

Hope everyone feels better
Unread 12-27-2011, 11:27 PM

I'm about 7 weeks post-op and have been having low back pain on my right side and thought it was related to the golf I've been playing, now I'm thinking maybe it's just another post-op complication.
Unread 12-28-2011, 12:05 AM

I had horrible hip pain and at my 2 week check up my doctor did a "light" internal exam stating she felt it was due to a lot of inflammation. I had cut back on my pain/anti-inflammatory medication and she wrote a script for 6 refills and stated to take it for a week, as directed. Then I will cut back to 2 a day and see how things go from there. Check with your doctors but I haven't had the hip pain taking my meds, as directed.
Unread 12-28-2011, 08:34 AM

My daughter is a radiographer and has been in to surgeries. She told me my hip pain for the first few weeks following the op were likely to be due to the position we were put in for the surgery.
As the meds wear off we ache more. It felt a bit like bruising in the skin, plus aches in the joints.
I don't know about the hip pain some people are feeling months later, bit healing ligaments sounds likely.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.