HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Can you still get pms symtoms after a hystorectomy? Can you still get pms symtoms after a hystorectomy?

Unread 12-29-2011, 08:48 PM
Can you still get pms symtoms after a hystorectomy?

Hey ladies, I am 2 weeks post op today and it should have been the time my period was gonna start. I feel bloated and very moody today. Can you still have these symptoms around the time of your period or are my hormones a little screwed up? My right ovary was removed but I still have my left ovary. Just wondering...

Margaret
Unread 12-29-2011, 09:23 PM
Re: Can you still get pms symtoms after a hystorectomy?

Absolutely! You can have all the pms symptoms except for bleeding and for most of us, cramping. You are still cycling and will continue to do so until menopause.
Unread 12-29-2011, 09:31 PM

Yes- I have both ovaries, and have pms to the T. And I was having bleeding for three weeks, I just got done pmsn of two weeks! Cramps, bloating, irritable, cravings all of it. SO sorry to find out we still get pms after all that huh!
Unread 12-29-2011, 10:44 PM

Wow! I did not know that, I guess it is better than still having a period but still kind of sucks! I was not expecting that! Geez, what us women have to go through!
Unread 12-29-2011, 10:44 PM

Wait...you still get cramps?
Unread 12-29-2011, 10:50 PM

I had period like cramps the day after Christmas but I think it was bc I over did it at Christmas. I don't have cramps now just feel bloated and really moody.
Unread 12-30-2011, 10:45 AM

mhermis, my doctor told me that I would still get moody, breast tenderness, bloating, and possibly some pain around the time I would get my period. I am just like you, kept only left ovary. I was due to get my period this week and I sure could tell! I felt down in the dumps and occasionally crying for most of the week, then I woke up in the middle of the night totally irritated and ticked off at nothing (which is normally how my moodiness manifests itself), plus I snapped at my husband for something stupid.
I also had some pain, but I am only at day 8 of recovery so I won't know for sure if I get true period cramps or not until maybe next month. I think the cramps you experienced might still be from the healing process, it is kind of soon to tell.
Unread 12-30-2011, 11:57 AM

Thanks so much ladies! Glad I am not crazy thinking it was all in my head.
Unread 06-26-2012, 08:58 AM

Well I had a hysterectomy 4 weeks ago, and been struggling with pms for years, I thought this operation would take the pms away. Well I was wrong, back to the mood changes and crying and irritability once again!! What a dissapointment.
Unread 06-26-2012, 10:51 AM

Yes, if you still have ovaries, they still continue to release the hormones responsible for pms. I should be having my period now and I got all the usual tender breasts, tearful (but worse because I'm still feeling a little emotionally unbalanced from the surgery!), bloated and craving chocolate. The BEST thing for me though - no excruciating menstrual cramps or lower back pain that I used to get every month without fail!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.