HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Ultrasound showed cysts/fluid around ovary - what does this mean? Ultrasound showed cysts/fluid around ovary - what does this mean?

Unread 01-06-2012, 09:49 AM
Ultrasound showed cysts/fluid around ovary - what does this mean?

Hello,
I went in two weeks ago for my annual pap. Had not been for two years. I have had very heavy periods w/bad clotting since my son was born in 2004. A fibroid was discovered when my son was born, so my OB/GYN attributed the heavy bleeding to this. I had my tubes tied after my C-section. Prior to my son being born when I was 37, my periods were coming every two months and were heavy but not gross. Over the last year, my periods have gotten heavier and have started coming every 3 weeks. My last period came two weeks. When I say heavy, I mean flooding, tampon and pad used and had to be changed every 30 minutes. However, the periods only lasted about 6 or 7 days. When I mentioned the frequency to my OB/GYN, he had me come in the next day for an ultrasound. He saw that I had a growth in my uterus that he says looks like a polyp but he can’t be sure. He also saw that I had many cysts on both my ovaries, and one ovary had fluid around it, “more than we like to see” is what my doctor said. He seemed c oncerned and said that at the very least, the growth in the uterus needed to come out, and that he wanted to look at the cysts and fluid in two weeks. He also suggested that I consider a hysterectomy. I have a family history of ovarian cancer and breast cancer, and I’ve had 2 bad paps, which were several years ago. I had laser treatment on my cervix where they remove the bad cells back in 1991. His reasoning was that I could face many procedures and tests, which he would recommend if I were younger, and/or could have children, in an effort to save my organs. He offered to have the growth removed and biopsies done, or just remove it all and then test for cancer.
Honestly, I am so sick of these long, heavy, sometimes painful periods. (when I say painful, I experience excruciating pain when I pass those gnarly clots). I am not adverse to hysterectomy. I know that’s not the attitude to have, and that a lot of women look down on you or a doctor who is willing to perform a hysterectomy for this reason. But I am just being honest when I say I don’t care, and I am willing to have this done for some relief and quality of life. I also feel that with all the problems I have had, it would be a relief to know that I have a few less organs to have cancer on. Bad attitude, I’m sure, but that’s how I feel.
My question is this…..what does the fluid around my ovary signify? Why is my doctor concerned? I know I should have asked, but I was a bit stunned and trying to listen and understand what he was saying to me and did not think to ask at the time.
Any information or input is appreciated and thank you! This seems like such a nice place.

P.S. Forgot to mention I have had excruciating pain that has sent me to the ER and doctor, and have had numerous tests done, urinary, kidney, etc, to try to find out what that was all about. Nothing was ever really determined, other than it was suspected that cysts on my ovaries had burst.
Unread 01-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Re: Ultrasound showed cysts/fluid around ovary - what does this mean?

Hi there
SOunds like quite a time you are going through.
Given your history, I would not even spend a second worrying about what anyone thinks of hysterectomies
There are a lot of reasons for you to have one.

The fluid around the ovary in a mentruating women is usually the products of a physiologic cyst.
WHen you ovulate, sometimes when the egg is released there is also fluid.
I think that there is a certain amount, beyond what is considered normal.

That does not necessarily mean that you have cancer or anything, it only means that this is a situation that the doctor needs to watch closely which is what it sounds like he is doing.
I think you will likely know more in a few weeks, sometimes two ultrasounds tell more than one.
There is a disorder called Poly Cystic Ovarian disease that can cause a lot of this. It does not usually cause heavy periods but it can.

BTW

Unread 01-06-2012, 11:47 AM

Thank you so much for your kind words! I will look in to Poly Cystic Disease, being the curious individual I am. Trying not to freak out, and remain calm and logical....
Unread 01-06-2012, 04:28 PM

mws1966 -

I am sorry to hear you are going through all of this.

From my personal point of view I would get a few more tests done just to make sure you end up with the right procedures. Although given the family history of ovarian cancer it may all arrive a the same place anyway.

If the tests identify cancer prior to surgery you may opt to have a gyn-onc do the surgery or minimally have an oncologist present so they do all the tests for and procedures for cancer. Sometimes ladies go in not knowing they have cancer and some things like lymph node removal and / or ovary removal isn't done so either they need a second surgery or they have some extra doubts about whether the cancer is still lurking.

I agree with ARunner that you can't let other people's ideas of a hysterectomy affect your decision. It is very personal, however you don't want to be one of the ones that says "If I'd only known...."

There are risks, complications and side effects that you might want to have a plan in place for. For example - can you take any HRT? What impact might this have on your sexual life? That sort of thing.

Until you confirm that you have a cancer diagnosis you might want to check out some of the other forums like "Hysterectomy Alternatives and Options". We also have a variety of links, articles and videos (look in tabs in the upper right).

as you decide what to do.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.