HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Unread 01-10-2012, 07:49 PM
Work Advice

Is anybody else having problems at work? I'm OK in the morning but once about 2 hits I'm sore, exhausted, swollen, and feel like my belly's falling out! And I have a desk job. I def. recommend staying out of work as long as your job, Dr., and finances allow. I didn't think it would be a problem. but boy was I wrong. How do you cope? I having a heating pad that I had a work for the horrible cramps. I'm thinking about getting someone to plug it in for me (cant get on the floor and crawl under my desk)
Unread 01-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Re: Work Advice

Sounds brutal. Is there an option for you to go back to part-time until you are ready to fully return? I still haven't gotten back to work. Although I feel fine, the fatigue still takes me out. I will be returning Monday, one day shy of the seven week mark. I am on my feet all day long, and average over 4000 steps (about 2 miles) just in a normal work day. I couldn't even consider going sooner.
Unread 01-10-2012, 09:02 PM

I returned to work last week at the 7 week mark. I also have a desk job and am experiencing the same issues: sore, exhausted and swollen to the point I feel my scar is going to burst open. I can't believe how swollen I feel. By the end of yesterday my pants were unbuttoned and unzipped. I got a chuckle out of your remark you would have to have someone crawl under your desk to plug in your heating pad because I'm in the same boat. I tried to bend over and reach something and it just about killed me. I hope it gets better soon!
Unread 01-10-2012, 09:11 PM

Oh, boy, I AM sorry for you!

I just couldn't have possibly gone back to work so soon, so I'm very lucky I had a ton of sick leave I could take and a very sympathetic team leader and colleagues.
I had a TAH/BSO and I went back part time for the 1st week at 7 weeks post op.
That week and the next I could only sit comfortably at a slant - leaning back in my chair - or standing up.
So - yes, we need to take all the time we possibly can!

Can you get a bit more time off, still?
Unread 01-10-2012, 10:00 PM

Are you wearing a belly binder? I initially wasn't going to after returning to work (after 4 weeks off) and got a support panty instead. All it took was one day with swelly belly that gave new meaning to the term "muffin top" and I went back to the hospital-issued binder the next day.

Then I thought I could try a belly binder less then my heavy duty hospital grade ones, even had my tailor custom fit it to me. Went right back to the originals. They gave support and kept me deflated (from swelly belly). I was able to hide them under dress clothes by throwing a shrug over my top or blouse. And as good as it felt to have them on all day, it felt so good when I started taking them off to sleep.

One thought on your energy level- you may have read on this site that there is a major change for the better at 6 weeks, I totally agree! In hindsite wish I would have listened to my DR and taken the recommended 6 weeks off.

Feel better!
Unread 01-10-2012, 10:50 PM

Oh, so sorry. I'm worried about this also-so I'm thinking of asking my Dr. to release me to part time only when I see him.

Is everyone having this full abdominal cut?
Unread 01-11-2012, 05:23 PM

I'm glad I found you guys. I am so tired I could scream. I feel silly saying so because I mostly feel okay. And then...BAM! It hits me. I went back to work part time after 4 weeks because of finances and then had to go back full time on 1/3 (after 6 weeks.) I sit at a desk most of the day so I thought I was okay, but the fatigue and exhaustion are taking its toll on me. I'm really at my ropes end because I don't know what to do. I have 3 kids under 6 years old and my husband works very late. I'm having a very hard time functioning. The way I feel you would have thought I was in menopause, but I still have my ovaries. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I mostly feel like being to myself. I'm always on the verge of tears due to the feelings of being overwhelmed and not getting a needed break over the past two weeks. I then I feel guilty for wanting the break. I could just scream right now. Just for clarification, I do suffer from depression and anxiety and take my meds regularly. Thanks for any help.
Unread 01-11-2012, 05:29 PM

I would suggest to get up and walk a bit each couple of hours if not more...I teach and I have found if I sit at my desk too long...I get uncomfortable...usually it isn't a problem as I teach 3rd grade and am always up and down...however, today I did find that I was sitting for a bit and was getting uncomfortable...so asked my team teach to watch my kiddos and I walked around the building a bit...it definitely helped...along with some advil. =)
Unread 01-11-2012, 06:14 PM

Also have a desk job and find the afternoons really difficult. I find I need the painkillers more now than I did when I came out of hospital. I'm very fortunate in being able to leave work early if I need to but my work is starting to pile up :-(

The worst thing is the fatigue. I have to go straight to bed when I get in and am uselss the rest of the evening. I had been suffering extreme anaemia prior to the op so I was really hoping to get my life back.

The dog has even stopped bothering to hassle me!
Unread 01-12-2012, 05:39 PM

I have to echo most of the thread comments. I went back at six weeks. No choice, no more sick days. It's been a nightmare. I'm a teacher and have to be on my feet all day. I basically crawl to my car at the end of the day. When I get home it's a tiny dinner, shower and bed. I can't even run errands. I live alone, so no one is here to help. My dog is ignoring me too!

Good point about the belly binder Shatzi, I'm putting mine on tomorrow to see if it helps.

Hugs to you all!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.