HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

What does a "normal" blood clot really look like? What does a "normal" blood clot really look like?

Unread 01-12-2012, 08:40 AM
What does a "normal" blood clot really look like?

I have fibroids (very large) uterus now around 5 month pregnancy size. I have been bleeding pretty heavy for 8 o 9 days now, and having my "normal" blood clots. (lumpy, gelatin looking, soft, dark red). Then yesterday my bleeding abruptly stopped, and this morning I felt quite a bit of low pelvic pressure and pushed a bit when I went pee. I heard a large plop and had passed what looks like a 1/2 inch thick by 2 1/2 to 3 inch smooth chunk of flesh. Best I can say is it looks like a piece of un cooked liver? (Sorry I know this is wayyyy TMI) but it has me kind of freaked out. Has any one else had this type of issue?
Unread 01-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Re: What does a "normal" blood clot really look like?

Pre-hyster, I had both types of the clots you described; some disturbingly large. Like you, I would have the "normal" clots then no bleeding followed by the tissue-like one. I never called my DR(should have); I think these ucky clots contain more uterine lining and therefore look like tissue. I hope you call your DR and post her response. I'd love to know what the heck these things are. I often felt "better" after passing these, since I'd go back the normal heavy bleeding and clots. Thank God for the hyster! I'm 12 weeks out and feel fantastic. I've seen your posts and I'm sending you good thoughts for your surgery and recovery. BTW, I had a da Vinci with everything out. My DR was unsure if she could do the hyster without going abdominal-my uterus was huge; weighing in at 11.6 lbs. She was able to stay with the da Vinci, but my surgery was almost 5 hours and a couple of my incisions were a bit larger than normal. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you so you can stay with a da Vinci : )
Unread 01-12-2012, 09:05 AM

Ty Sharona19. Gross as it may seem I put the clot into a ziploc bag and will be calling my gyno office as soon as they open. I haven't seen a clot like that since I delivered my first child, and that turned out to be part of the placenta left over. So yeah I am pretty concerned.
Unread 01-12-2012, 09:13 AM

Good for you, saving it. I really want to know what these are, bleck!!! I've never had children, but these clots do look like those after delivery.
Unread 01-12-2012, 09:23 AM

I sure hope I can stay with the Da Vinci as well, but as this drags out I am having more oddball symptoms besides the clots. Seems my Dr is concerned over my ureters/kidneys and digestive system. She wants me to have a barium gi CAT scan and a kidney Iodine CAT. The GI scan worries me since in the last two days I have developed upper abdominal pain that seems to get worse when I eat anything. So I cant imagine drinking huge amounts of barium that is notorious for causing diarrhea or constipation. At this point I can hardly drink an 8oz glass of water with out getting nauseous.
Unread 01-12-2012, 09:40 AM

Been there myself. I have an ulcer with lots of GERD. The good thing about the belly scan is that you'll know what's going on and you can get treated for it. I have found that since surgery, my reflux is much improved. I'm sure it's because there is so much more room in my abdominal space. I've lost almost 30lbs too. Things just work better now. All this testing is tedious and can be uncomfortable, but it is all for the best. I'm excited for you to get through this and into recovery. I know you'll feel so much better; it's so worth all the hoops we have to go through.
Unread 01-14-2012, 06:17 AM

Drs, nurse told me over the phone its just a large coagulated blood clot that most likely sat in the base of the uterus/top of the cervix over night. 0.o
Unread 01-16-2012, 03:10 PM

Well, isn't that gross....just what I want to know, that the clot is just hanging out for a while. I guess it's good to know that it wasn't something more serious. Hope things are going OK for you............
Unread 01-17-2012, 01:38 PM

KaylaV, I've had the same clots - and thank you for being transparent - because they are horrible to pass sometimes. I have wondered myself. And I experienced the same "plop" when I went to the bathroom. I am going to a surgeon next week and hopefully I will have a date set for my hysterectomy. It has meant a lot seeing the positive support regarding recovery and relief. I am hopeful.
Unread 01-17-2012, 08:06 PM
What does a "normal" blood clot really look like?

Hi,

I know exactly what you are talking about. Its not a Blood Clot. It's called a Dedicua Cast or a Uterine Cast. It's actually a part of the lining of your uterus coming out of you. I had the same thing happen to me twice in my life. You are correct, it is extremely painful because the size of the thing is trying to pass thru your undialated cervix. And there is a great relief when it passes. By the way I'm not a doctor.

I took pics of mine to show my doc. She said, "Oh, that's the lining of your Uterus" and prescribed some pain meds. And that was it. I couldn't get the nurse to believe that I passed such a thing. She just said it was a blood clot, but I know that it was more than that.

I researched the thing and found very little info on it but it does exist. I'm betting that many women believe it's a miscarriage because had I not been celibate for 3 months before I passed one, I would have thought the same thing. And I felt as if I were in labor, sweating and breathing heavy until I went to the bathroom and felt the "plop".

I did read somewhere that a woman took hers to the ER when it happened to her and the doctors said they never heard of such a thing. They took hers to the lab and it was made up of red and white blood cells.

Also, mine was about the size of my cell phone, an iPhone, and I passed two of them about an hour apart from each other. It was pretty gross but the pain almost immediately went away.

I wish there was more substantial information about when and why this happens. It's not talked about very much. I wish it were, because I was scared half to death the two separate times it happened to me. I hope this helps. Try Google for more info. I did but it took a lot of digging.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.