HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

2nd menopause? What to expect after hysterectomy for menopausal woman 2nd menopause? What to expect after hysterectomy for menopausal woman

Unread 01-17-2012, 12:29 AM
2nd menopause? What to expect after hysterectomy for menopausal woman

I went through menopause two -three years ago. I had one year of I guess peri-menopause, where my periods were fading, and I experienced the moodiness, hot flashes and all the other lovely symptoms of menopause.

I haven't had a period in two years, and until a few months ago, had no more hot flashes. The "happy pill" my gyn prescribed took care of my emotional ups and downs.

I'm having a total hysterectomy in a week, SILS using the Da Vinci method, due to a pre-cancerous uterus. Since I already went through menopause, I didn't think there'd be a problem taking everything out.

I did start getting hot flashes again a few months ago, not sure why that is.

Should I expect to go through all the peri-menopausal symptoms again following my hysterectomy, or, once I went through them, nothing else should change?
Unread 01-17-2012, 07:42 AM
Re: 2nd menopause? What to expect after hysterectomy for menopausal woman

Do you mean you are having your ovaries removed (BSO) with your hysterectomy? I'm assuming that's what you mean. When I had my ovaries out I was post menopausal so expected no change. And that's what some women experience. But instead it was a "second menopause", worse than before. I had new symptoms that just weren't good. So, it depends, and you may or may not have symptoms again if you lose your ovaries. From reading posts on here it seems to me I'm in the minority but that's just my impression, nothing scientific. Best wishes on your surgery and I hope you are in the "no change" group.
Unread 01-17-2012, 11:09 AM

I had my ovaries out when I was post menopause by about 1-2 years. While I didn't have any hot flashes or mood swings I experienced vaginal atrophy big time. It is an ordeal to keep that area healthy but I am pretty much OK as long as I pay attention to making sure I use vagifem.
Unread 01-17-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyown View Post
Do you mean you are having your ovaries removed (BSO) with your hysterectomy? I'm assuming that's what you mean. When I had my ovaries out I was post menopausal so expected no change. And that's what some women experience. But instead it was a "second menopause", worse than before. I had new symptoms that just weren't good. So, it depends, and you may or may not have symptoms again if you lose your ovaries. From reading posts on here it seems to me I'm in the minority but that's just my impression, nothing scientific. Best wishes on your surgery and I hope you are in the "no change" group.
Yes, I am having my ovaries out along with the uterus, tubes and cervix. I was assuming since I already went through menopause, I wouldn't have the symptoms again, but fear going through it again!! Sorry that happened to you. I sure hope I'm in the "no change" group! Although I have been having major hot flashes these past four months.

Thanks for responding.
Unread 01-17-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachy1 View Post
I had my ovaries out when I was post menopause by about 1-2 years. While I didn't have any hot flashes or mood swings I experienced vaginal atrophy big time. It is an ordeal to keep that area healthy but I am pretty much OK as long as I pay attention to making sure I use vagifem.
Oh, boy, didn't even think of that symptom! What is vagifem? Is that prescribed by your doctor? or over the counter? I heard that there is a progesterone cream that can be applied, is that what that is?

Thanks for replying.
Unread 01-18-2012, 07:08 AM

Vagifem is a little pill that is inserted that has estradiol in it.
It is used to keep the tissues healthy and also helps with some urinary symptoms. It is a prescription.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.