HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Cant Urinate!?? Cant Urinate!??

Unread 01-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Cant Urinate!??

So I was supposed to be home by this time today (1/27), and I am not. I woke up from surgery yesterday(1/26) and the Foley Catheter was already out. So by the time I got out of recovery and into my room at was about noon. it took a lil but of time, but i finally felt the urge to urinate, so i get on the toilet and sit for 15 minutes. Nothing happens. So we wait. i continue drinking more water and i still have the IV. by like 400 pm i try urinating again and I still can not. So my nurse had talked to the doc and they do a straight catheter, which is just a quick catheter to empty the bladder and that catheter does not stay in. THey emptied over 1000cc's from my bladder. The nurse said that this happens sometimes and if they have to use a straight catheter, that gets the bladder flowing. so I was hopeful! Well, again I had to urinate, but nothing would come out. we tried putting warm water down in my private area, running water in the sink, putting my hands and feet in warm water. none of thats worked. so with all this happening, i have been having the gas pains and the pains from the surgery and pains from my bladder being full...YUCK So I have been up and walking, trying to get my body moving, trying to see if that helps my bladder...nope nothing has helped. They spoke with my doctor. he siad to give me some coffee or tea and also give me some medication called urecholine to see if that helps my bladder, they waited a while...no luck, so they took whats called a bladder scan and the bladder scan tried to say that there was nothing in my bladder...UH HUH yeah right. So they did another straight catheter and got out another 1000cc's. So after speaking with the doctor, they have the regular foley catheter back in me until tomorrow morning, then they will take that out and see how my bladder is working in the morning. this is sooo super frustrating. but at least they are trying to figure out whats going on....
Unread 01-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Re: Cant Urinate!??

Hi Rachel!

I was unable to urinate in the hospital also. It's not that uncommon in women who have had vaginal hysts, especially if you have had A&P repairs, because of the large amount of swelling down there. I ended up going home with the Foley because I tried all day to urinate and when they inserted the catheter they got 1500mL, which was rather painful and shocking.

It is not that big a deal if you have to go home with the catheter in. They can give you a leg bag so you can walk around easily with it. It should not be uncomfortable if it's placed properly. I was able to shower with it no problem. In the end mine was in for a week at home and I was glad to have it because it gave my bladder and urethra time to rest and the swelling time to go down. Also it enabled me to sleep through the night without worrying about getting up to use the bathroom.

The nurses at the hospital showed me how to remove the catheter before I left the hospital, so I was able to remove it myself at home with the instruction that if I couldn't urinate within a few hours I was to go to the ER and have a new one inserted. Fortunately, I could go on my own. My DR had me keep a journal of every time I used the bathroom and focus on lengthening the amount if time in between each time as I retrained my bladder to work as it had before. Over the course of a couple of weeks my bladder function returned to better than it had been pre-surgery.

Hang in there! Glad they are working with you on trying to see what's going on.

Hugs,
Linda
Unread 01-27-2012, 03:54 PM

HANG IN THERE HONEY! It will get better. I had my surgery LAVH on DEC.28th and almost went home with a leg bag because I could not urinate, and I did every trick that you are doing. I finally passed a small amount and had to see my surgeon the next day in his office. I guess I had bladder and Urethral spasm and I've had 3 uti's since( They were not bad, I caught them right away).

Don"t pressure yourself, You just had a big surgery. Hang in there and know your sisters are with you in spirit and thinking of you.
Unread 01-27-2012, 04:18 PM

It took me awhile to go too. They were talking about putting the catheter back in and I finally went. After I started it would not stop although it took a minute or so to get my stream started each time. I think the more you think about it the worse it is! Hang in there :-)
Pam
Unread 01-27-2012, 05:58 PM

Thank you so much,, to all of you. The words of support mean so much! The doctors plan on having the foley cath taken out tomorrow morning around 530am. and hopefully when the doctor does rounds around 730 or 8 I will have urinated. They really do not want to send me home with a leg bag because of having a child at home and 4 dogs and 3 cats...its a animal house at our house...LOL. we have a baby gate up so that dogs can not get back to where I will be relaxing, but 2 of our dogs have figured out how to get past that gate. once climbs it the other unlatches it..so I will keep everyone posted as to how everything is going. Again thank you for all the support and words of courage!!

Rachel B
Unread 01-28-2012, 09:16 PM

I am home, with out the foley cath. I almost had to come home with it, but I was able to pee enough at the hospital. I also have stricted instructions about keeping a journal for the amounts and times i pee and also if it gets to the point I can not pee i have to go to the hospital. But i have beeen able to pee at home and not had a problem. It is very painful, which they said it will be. They also said I may get a UTI, but I have been drinking my cranberry juice. so i am home and taking it easy. thank you again for all the encouragement and kind words. this is such an awesome place for us women!!! Thank you again!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.