HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

COMPLETELY overwhelmed! (updated) COMPLETELY overwhelmed! (updated)

Unread 01-27-2012, 06:04 PM
COMPLETELY overwhelmed! (updated)

Okay, I have started reading some of the forums so I would be prepared with questions when I go to see the OB/GYN on Tuesday, but to be honest, I have NO idea what questions to even ask! Reading the little I have, I am just completely overwhelmed.

This past Monday, I went to my regular doctor and with my physical, she ran some labs, including a CA-125. I didn't know what that was for. Thursday, she left a message for me to call, which I did. She said that the CA-125 was a screener for ovarian cancer. She said it wasn't 100%, but an appointment had already been scheduled with an OB/GYN in the building and my doctor is sending my ultrasound pics and results from the labs she ran to the other doctor. She wasnted me to be aware so when the doctor started talking, I would know what she was talking about.

I'm a little freaked out to say the least. I have no idea the questions I should be/need to ask. I went to another doctor for a second opinion several years ago. The last time I talked to her, she said that she could try to do a hysterectomy through my belly button or even vaginally, but wasn't sure she would be able to do either of those ways because the fibroids are SO big.

Can ya'll help me with the questions? Thank you.
Angi
Unread 01-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Re: COMPLETELY overwhelmed!

Up at the top of the page, in the bar under the "HysterSisters" header, is a link to the pre-op articles. There is a LOT of good information in there, including what is involved in the different types of surgeries a lots of questions to ask your doctor.

Being freaked out is normal. If you weren't, we'd worry about your sanity. There are a lot of ladies on here who have been right where you are now, and we'll do everything we can to help you through it.
Unread 01-27-2012, 06:20 PM

Did they find a mass on your ovary/ovaries? I had ovarian cancer in 1995 and have been in remission since.. The CA 125 can produce false positives or false negatives. I would say for me at least, until it was 100% that I had ovarian cancer not to take the ovaries.. Not sure of your age if you are close to menopause or not. My left ovary was taken after my mass was removed and biopsy done.. I am now scheduled for a TVH but my right ovary will still stay as it is healthy. My main question would be
Unread 01-27-2012, 06:21 PM

is there an absolute need to take the ovaries without knowing 100% if it is indeed ovarian cancer
Unread 01-27-2012, 06:23 PM

by the way my hysterectomy being performed due to several fibroids.. good luck to you..
Unread 01-27-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmac4_11 View Post
Did they find a mass on your ovary/ovaries? I had ovarian cancer in 1995 and have been in remission since.. The CA 125 can produce false positives or false negatives. I would say for me at least, until it was 100% that I had ovarian cancer not to take the ovaries.. Not sure of your age if you are close to menopause or not. My left ovary was taken after my mass was removed and biopsy done.. I am now scheduled for a TVH but my right ovary will still stay as it is healthy. My main question would be
I'm 43 on Sunday. When the ultrasound tech was doing the ultrasound, she didn't say anything to me about a mass. At one point when she was looking at my ovaries, from where she was looking, which was below my belly button, I wasn't sure WHICH one she was looking at/for. So I guess from the size of my uterus because of the large fibroids, everything has shifted to the right.

I talked to a friend of mine who had a hysterectomy a week ago and told her what was going on and she thought the OB/GYN might do a biopsy.
Unread 01-27-2012, 07:54 PM

Yea.. I would think so that while they are doing the hysterectomy they would just biopsy the ovaries. It is another surgery for them to go back in and take the ovaries out should the biopsy come back positive for cancer. But none the less better to leave the ovaries until they know the results..
Unread 01-27-2012, 07:57 PM

Also ask about a freeze biopsy while getting the hysterectomy to possibly avoid another surgery
Unread 01-28-2012, 08:36 PM

I'm right there with you. The more I read, the more overwhelmed I get. Also, just the planning of everything--who will take care of my son, how will everything get done, etc. It's a LOT.
Unread 02-05-2012, 07:20 AM
Soooo overwhelmed. . .

I went to see an OB/GYN last Tuesday. She did an exam, then suggested a endometrial bopsy. Lemme tell ya, that is NO JOKE! When the doctor was finished, I had to just lay on the table and regroup (as a friend of mine put it). The doctor wouldn't even leave the room until I was sitting up and I betcha I layed there for 10 minutes, asking questions while she typed my information into the computer that was in the room.

On Thursday, when I get home from work, I had a message from the doctor asking me to call her back. As it was near closing time, I had to leave a message. I attempted to call first thing Friday morning, but I had to leave a message for the nurse to call me back. I was such a wreak waiting to hear/know abot the results from the biopsy, that when I got to work, I just sat down and burst into tears!

Since I didn't hear from the office before I left for work, I at least figured I would hear from her at work. I even attempted to call when I took my lunch, but guess what? The office closes @ 1 on Fridays and it was 1:30 when I called! UGH! So now I have to go all weekend without knowing one way or the other!

I get home and my mom tells me I had a phone call. She doesn't/won't answer the phone and even she had answered it, the office wouldn't have given her any information because of HIPAA. So I check my voice mail and it's the doctor's office. They called 10 minutes after I left! It was the doctor's nurse telling me that the doctor was out of the office that day and they would try to call me back on Monday! So here we are on Sunday morning. . . .

Two of my co-workers told me to stay positive about all of this, that if it was really something I needed to know, the dr. office would have called me at work, which they didn't. So I'm hanging on to that.

The CA-125 my regular doctor did is elevated. I also have large uterine fibroids which I have known about for 5 years, the reason I asked for the referral to the OB/GYN who is in the same building. They aren't causing me any pain, which I am surprised about, since they are as big as I am told they are (16 weeks). I just haven't had a regular period in about 5 years.

I am wanting to know when I DO talk to the doctor if I need to have a hysterectomy sooner than later. I have an appointment with the OB/GYN who I have seen for the last 5 years. She was a second opinion doctor whom I started seeing when I first found out about the fibroids. I see her on Thursday morning. She has all of my medical history anyway, with ultrasounds and such. The doctor I saw last Tuesday is leaving her practice and another doctor is coming in to realace her. I REALLY don't want to have to explain all of this to someone else. I'm already starting to feel like I'm 'just a diagnosis.'

Okay, now that I have that out of the way and off of my heart, I can get on with my day. Thanks to all of you.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.