HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Diet, weight loss and exercise, can these shrink fibroids? Diet, weight loss and exercise, can these shrink fibroids?

Unread 01-30-2012, 09:29 PM
Diet, weight loss and exercise, can these shrink fibroids?

Hi,

Has anyone had experience in shrinking their fibroids using, diet and exercise? It has been suggested that I try loosing weight, trying a supplement to help shrink the fibroids and a liver cleanse as well. Have tried supplements before but they haven't worked. Feel pressured, myself, to make a decision whether to have them removed. It's been years of trying to make a decision. I have an appointment with my gyn next week to discuss options and am feeling so stressed about making a decision. Would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you.
Unread 01-31-2012, 05:43 AM
Re: Diet, weight loss and exercise, can these shrink fibroids?

Hi Marsk, I had the same dilemma as you. I found out last Oct that I had a fibroid size of 22wk fetus, a biggie to say the least. I was desperate not to have the operation, a TAH. I did lots of research online and found a website that gave advice how to shrink fibroids naturally. There were so many suggestions, but it was too much, so I narrowed it down to the most popular and bought all the ingredients. When I visited my consultant and suggested a natural way to get rid of the fibroid, she said they won't work as the fibroid is being fed by my own oestrogen hormone and unless I go into menopause it will just get bigger and bigger. I even if if stopped growing, I will still have that growth sitting inside my body and it could turn nasty. I am now 4 wks on from having the TAH, it wasn't as bad as I thought, and I'm so pleased I had it done instead of wasting my time and money waiting for a result the natural way. Good luck, have trust in your advisor. Moggy1 x
Unread 01-31-2012, 08:30 AM

Hey Marsk,

Unfortunately for me exercise only made my symptoms worse. The more I exercised, the more and longer I bled making the anemia that much worse. My doctor told me pretty much what moggy1's did - wait for menopause to shrink them (but given the size they wouldn't shrink enough to make a difference) or surgery.

You didn't say what type of surgery you were contemplating, but depending on the type of fibroids you have, there are various surgeries to remedy them. Some are very successful and others not so much.

I had myomectomy 10 years ago and it was very successful for a while, until the fibroids reoccurred, which they nearly always do unless you are in menopause. My sister also had a very successful myomectomy 4 years ago with no re-occurrence. She had tried for years to shrink them through naturopathic medicine with no measurable results. She's in menopause now and is confident that those problems are in her past.

For me, the second time around, in addition to the galaxy of fibroids I was harboring, I also had abnormal paps, so eventually opted for the hyster. No regrets - I feel great.

The National Uterine Fibroids Foundation has some good information.

Good luck no matter what you decide.
Unread 01-31-2012, 04:02 PM

Hi Moggy1 and McLila,

Thank you for your responses. I too had a mymectomy about 15 or so years ago and the fibroids grew back, and I think to about the same size. They are very large so I believe a hysterectomy would be my option. I went for an MRI last week to see if Uterine Fibroid Embolization could be an option but it didn't sound so to me as they said they'd shrink maybe 20%. I also read about HIFU, but not sure how much they will shrink. I think in the back of my mind I just want them taken out but am afriad of the surgery, the post-op. I think because of the myomectomy and remembering how uncomfortable I was after, I am nervous about this surgery. I am going to see my gyn this Monday. I know I would feel better just to say "I'll have the hysterectomy" so I can move on. It's been years I've been wavering over the decision. I just want to make the right decision.

It helps to hear that I was not the only one who tried alternatives and they didn't work. It takes off some of the pressure I've been putting on myself to try again.

Thank you and I'm glad to hear things worked out for you both.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.