HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Do birth control pills really help cysts on ovaries?r Do birth control pills really help cysts on ovaries?r

Unread 01-01-2002, 10:37 PM
Do birth control pills really help cysts on ovaries?r

Happy New Year Ladies! I would like to have started this year out pain free but...........OH WELL! I am 10 wks. post op and have 3 cyst on my one remaining ovary and I am in pain. My Doc wants me to start birth control pills for 6 weeks followed up by an ultrasound. ok, my ? is this......Has anyone else had this problem after a hysterectomy here? I thought all my pain was over once I did the surgery, but it is just a new pain. I am in pain all day and I swell terribly. I run a fever, have headaches, and major back pain. I had the TAH due to stage 4 endo, double uterus one being enlarged, heavy periods and cramping, and last but not least severe adhesions. I am 25 and my Doc really insisted on leaving an ovary if at all possible. However, cyst are all new to me. Never had them before this as far as I know and this is just a new pain. With endo I did not swell, run a fever, or have this much back pain. Of course I did have it for sooo many years I got used to the pain until finally a TAH was my only relief due to all LAP's failing. I guess what I want to know will the cyst continue to come back once you start getting them and after I stop the bc pills? I am starting to think that maybe I should have had it all removed which still may be in the future. I am miserable, and ready to be better. PLEASE someone help me make sense of all this. I just can not take anymore. Thank you in advance for your reply! God Bless!
Unread 01-02-2002, 08:22 AM

Thought you might want to read this:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ighlight=cysts

You can find more info regarding cysts after surgery by using search icon at the top and search by keyword "cysts" in the post op section of the pull down.
Unread 01-02-2002, 11:38 AM
cysts

I looked the thread that Dot referenced, and I was surprised to see that it was one I had written. Well, things are a little better for me, 6 weeks after posting that. My dr advised "wait & see" if it would go away. At 7 weeks an ultrasound revealed that while it wasn't completely gone yet, it had gotten a lot smaller, from 6.5 cm to about 4.1. Like you, I certainly don't want another surgery. I can't take bc pills due to blood clots, so I don't personally know if they will help or not. But the pain is gone. I have another ultra scheduled for 1/21, so hopefully it will be gone and not come back! The ovary seems to be working since I'm not on hormones yet.

One thing that helped me is acupuncture. I'm also taking some Chinese herbs that I got from the acupunturist and they seem to be doing the trick as well.

My dr thought that maybe all the upheaval of the surgery and the ovary being exposed to air caused the cyst to appear. I hope yours goes away by itself or with the help of the pill. Good luck with that.
Unread 01-03-2002, 10:00 PM

Thank you ladies for responding. It is basically like this I have been on the birth control, and I feel sick. I do not understand this. My symptoms are the same and I am very discourageed. I feel it is too early to call the Doc back as I have only been on the pill a few days. I am on the same ones I was on before my surgery so I should be fine with them still right?! I am so ill ladies. I had this surgery to get rid of the pain. I am almost ready to tell him to take out the ovary and give me HRT even at 25 yrs old. I want my life back. Please someone help me. I need more info and alot more advice! I can not take it anymore! Thanks all!
Unread 01-04-2002, 06:09 AM

Hi Virgo,

I am so sorry to hear you are feeling so icky. I am sending you a great big .

I don't know how quickly the birth control pills should work to reduce the size of the cyst. But, why don't you go ahead and call the doctor just to report how you are feeling. He might want to make some changes to your pills. And, if he wants you to give it a little more time, you need reassurance that you are on the right track with this treatment plan. When you are miserable, time passes very slowly.

Stay in touch with us, and let us know what the doctor says and how you are feeling.

Take it easy and get lots of rest.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.