HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Can hormone imbalance worsen allergies? Can hormone imbalance worsen allergies?

Unread 02-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Can hormone imbalance worsen allergies?

About a year and 1/2 after my hysterectomy I developed a severe allergic reaction called exercise induced anaphylaxis. Apparently intense exercise can trigger these attacks alone, but in my case eating wheat, soy, dairy, all nuts, spinach and apples really gets the party started.

I really had a hard time with this because for one- its rare (and sounds really convenient- I know), but for two, I've always been a runner- starting in high school 20+ years ago. But about a year ago I started doing an hour of Zumba, 3x/wk and running 3 miles a week. I developed body hives, a rash, face and throat swelling and ended up in the ER a few times before they identified my problem for which I now carry an epinephrine pen. I'm wondering if any of this is related to my having the hysterectomy/oophorectomy 18 months before?

I had my remaining ovary removed 6 weeks ago. Both of my ovaries were removed because the large (orange size) cysts on them were painful or had destroyed the ovary. So I'm wondering even before they were removed if I was already hormone deficient. I've just in the last week started Vivelle dot and I don't know whether to expect allergies to worsen or improve? Anyone else have this problem or something related? Any thoughts appreciated.
Unread 02-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Re: Can hormone imbalance worsen allergies?

Yes, I believe it can. I can no longer eat dairy, wheat, gluten, yeast, eggs, pork, chicken. celery, onions, ... oh I could go on and on. That said; not so sure it's imbalance, but the major changes that the body goes through. Some of my issues started after a major illness, than after the tah/bso they got worse.

Have you had allergy testing done? I had a test many years ago and that is when things started to come together for me. I am thinking about doing another test to see if anything has changed.

Unread 02-01-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Chief View Post
About a year and 1/2 after my hysterectomy I developed a severe allergic reaction called exercise induced anaphylaxis. Apparently intense exercise can trigger these attacks alone, but in my case eating wheat, soy, dairy, all nuts, spinach and apples really gets the party started.

I really had a hard time with this because for one- its rare (and sounds really convenient- I know), but for two, I've always been a runner- starting in high school 20+ years ago. But about a year ago I started doing an hour of Zumba, 3x/wk and running 3 miles a week. I developed body hives, a rash, face and throat swelling and ended up in the ER a few times before they identified my problem for which I now carry an epinephrine pen. I'm wondering if any of this is related to my having the hysterectomy/oophorectomy 18 months before?

I had my remaining ovary removed 6 weeks ago. Both of my ovaries were removed because the large (orange size) cysts on them were painful or had destroyed the ovary. So I'm wondering even before they were removed if I was already hormone deficient. I've just in the last week started Vivelle dot and I don't know whether to expect allergies to worsen or improve? Anyone else have this problem or something related? Any thoughts appreciated.

I really believe in my heart that the hyst caused the same symptoms as you describe. I don't get a full blown asthma attack but felt itchy in the chest and slight wheezy every time I tried to exercise. This all happened after the hyst. I NEVER had trouble with this before the hyst. My OWN Personal theory (I'm not a dr!!) is that the adrenals get compromised (because of the hyst--esp. with ovary removal) in some ppl because they were weak to begin with genetically then worsened because of the stress of the hyst . I also hypothesize it might have something to do with the estrogen levels dropping rapidly while exercising and after..estrogen is a steroid hormone.
About a two years ago I started having alot of trouble with low estrogen and didn't realize what it was for a long time until it was really low. I started having terrible food allergy attacks to foods I normally tolerated. I know I have a ton of food allergies now, allergic to most foods but I still have to eat as my ent dr. said. I stay away from the top 5 or so. But I never had that before. I still can't eat tomatoes, and fresh fruits yet. Afraid to try it gave me an itchy burny choking sensation in my throat. when I increased my estrogen on my own , my itchy burny choking sensation gradually over months diminished. . all I know since I have really upped my estrogen I have had much less or hardly any choking fits. but I have not been brave enough to eat tomotoes and fresh fruit again either.... I have tackled a few things like cholocalate and onions and they haven't cause any problems for me. I would like to see some research done on this subject. I have read on this site a lot of women post about allergies they never had before until after the hyst. I think I will become a researcher and write papers on it when I find answers.......
Unread 02-01-2012, 08:12 PM

MOST DEFINITELY. Too high progesterone will make allergies worse, as will too low estrogen.
Unread 02-02-2012, 05:35 AM

Calypso,
I know when I was at my worst with the above, I saw a practitioner who functions as both allopathic or holistic dr. (You had to tell the office which you preferred when you saw him)
He said I was what you said above; basically Progesterone dominant and too little estrogen. My allergies were horrible then. I hate having too much p. That is why I have not supplemented it regularly again. I gave it a try two or three more times with an oTC one and still got bad results. I still think adrenals come into play with worsening allergies.
Unread 02-02-2012, 09:15 AM

Thanks to all for your reply. Wow- I am still wrapping my mind around all of this. But it does provide some rationale as to why I've had the severity of allergy problems I've had recently. And yes, Kim M- I did get allergy tested. I couldn't do the prick test because I couldn't stop taking the antihistamines that were helping hold off the anaphylaxis symptoms. The RAST test indicated allergy to some of the foods I knew (tree nuts) - others I suspected (peanuts, soy, dairy) and some caught me completely by surprise (wheat, spinach and apples.) I would be so pleased if balancing my hormones could reverse these allergies, and, if I could exercise again without taking a Benadryl. It would actually motivate me to keep trying to make through hormone jungle. And Amar- I will definitely look more into adrenals so I can better understand what they do and how they work and also think it would be great to see research in this area.
Unread 02-02-2012, 10:07 AM

I also didn't know that Estrogen was a steroid hormone- wow. That is usually the last line of defense when you are having an allergic reaction and the antihistamines don't hold. I've never wanted them though because they really can make you gain weight.
Unread 02-02-2012, 10:12 AM

Estrogen boosts your immune system and lessens pain response. Progesterone depresses your immune system (as when you're pregnant) and helps your body store fat (makes you eat more).
Unread 02-03-2012, 01:03 PM

I never had allergies before my TAH...now, Im allergic to everything and cant even take medications that I took before as well. Its been a nightmare. I even take 20mg of steriods everyday and that doesnt help. I wont even bother with the allergy testing because most have come back negative, which I dont understand. I cant take antihistimines because of the added dryness and they make me too drowsy and Im already severly fatigued.

Gursie
Unread 02-04-2012, 03:51 PM

Wow so it seems that there is definitely some type of immune system/allergy protective factor that the uterus and/or the ovaries provide. I never knew that. I might still have had to have my uterus out, not sure on my ovaries. The doctors and other people I consulted scared me so bad about the possibility of cancer that I went for it. I am feeling better now. I'm up to .075 on my vivelle dot. Today and yesterday I felt really good. So good it scared me. But now I don't know if it was the hormones or the increase in my anti-depressant medication. I'll keep you all posted. Gursie are you not taking hormones?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.