HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

No Insurance - DaVinci cost? No Insurance - DaVinci cost?

Unread 02-02-2012, 04:22 PM
No Insurance - DaVinci cost?

Hi everyone,

I'm in a pickle. I have large uterine fibroids, and I have no insurance. Because I've gone for my surgical consult and my information is now in a searchable database, I cannot purchase an insurance policy and have my hysterectomy covered because they will label it as a pre-existing condition. So, I have 2 options:

Find out what insurance companies are on my surgeon's network and ask about their pre-existing coverage and terms,

-OR-

Pay out of pocket for the surgery, and attempt to work out a cash deal or payment plan with the surgeon. Problem is, he may have to also do a bladder tack or remove one of the ovaries and I don't know how much more that'll cost. I'm afraid that if I schedule the surgery with one cost in mind and they end up having to do more, that I won't be prepared for the extra cost.

Which of the above do you suggest?

What IS the average cost of the DaVinci hysterectomy anyway? (Everything I found on a Google search related to prostate surgery, very little about hysterectomies.)

Thanks in advance!
Please feel free to PM me if you'd like to recommend specific insurance companies/plans, as I don't have anything right now.

Cheers!
Unread 02-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Re: No Insurance - DaVinci cost?

Mine was $33,399.41. I stayed less than a day.
Unread 02-02-2012, 04:59 PM

Mine was $33k but my insurance's contracted discount was $27k! I stayed 1 day in the hospital.
Unread 02-02-2012, 05:02 PM

My hospital bill was 33,000 and my doctor charged me 2,500. I was at the hospital for 7 hours before being released.
Unread 02-02-2012, 05:47 PM

A lot of insurance companies will pay for the hysterectomy but not the extra for the DaVinci method. Lousy in my opinion since they save on recovery but who am I to say... I had to pay an extra $1950 over the hysterectomy for DaVinci itself. I haven't gotten all my bills so I don't know the full cost with hospital and doctors. But I also know that my doctor negotiates that fee with ability to pay factors.
Unread 02-02-2012, 06:46 PM

My surgery ran $65k before insurance coverage and discounts. I ended up paying $800 out of pocket (deductible and 10% coinsurance.) Since the pre-insurance bills are always jacked up in price there's no telling what someone paying cash would pay.
Unread 02-02-2012, 08:37 PM

If you can have it done lap is about 28,000 and vag is about the same. But that's just what I found out ballpark wise in Ohio. I feel your pain we didn't have insurance for years. Can you apply for Medicaid in your state? The worst thing they could say is no and or financial assistance with the hospital? I'll be praying for you.
Unread 02-02-2012, 08:44 PM

RALH BSO was $15,000 in the southern part of the US. I haven't seen all the bills, yet, but that is what the hosp quoted me pre-op.
Unread 02-02-2012, 09:10 PM

There is a site called Healthcare Blue Book. I think they can assist you into negociating a good price. Good luck !
Unread 02-02-2012, 09:49 PM

Can you find insurance that covers pre existing conditions? In our state we have a state high risk pool that can't reject you regardless of any health problems. It is run by the state but is not welfare. It costs a lot but knowing that surgery will cost a lot it's probably worth paying them $400 or $500 or so a month.

Can you get medicaid? I don't think they have pre existing clauses.

Does your hospital have any kind of medical aid funds? I had to have an MRI with no insurance. I applied for aid from the fund and they paid most of my bill for me.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.