HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Feeling crampy 2 weeks post op - normal? Feeling crampy 2 weeks post op - normal?

Unread 02-07-2012, 11:36 PM
Feeling crampy 2 weeks post op - normal?

Hi all, I just found this sight as I'm frustrated and was looking for some answers. I had full abdominal hysterectomy on Jan 23, After years of issues and 2-4 periods a month and constant cramping, decided to pursue hysterectomy. Nothing was found on tests to give answers but my history doctor said it would help, ovaries were fine and because of my age they left the ovaries in. When doc got in there was severe excessive scar tissue from c-sections around uterus and bladder and bladder was connected to uterus so surgery took longer and more evasive. I stayed 2 nights in hospital and first week was really rough, especially trying to sleep, and with the gas and constipation I have read some having. I am off pain meds, but feel pretty sore. Last week had staples removed and got path results from inside uterus, scar tissue was all found and a couple minor fiboroids, so really no answer as to the pain and multiple periods except possibly hormonal, so now I am wondering if I should have had ovaries out?? I am frustrated as many people said they felt so much better immediately, I still feel crampy and not sure if normal and takes a while for that to go away, or if it is just part of the pain and soreness of surgery? Doc said something about phantom cramps, but would hope they would be gone by now so I could know if all this was worth it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Unread 02-08-2012, 12:15 AM
Re: Feeling crampy 2 weeks post op - normal?

It is normal to cramp, you have had major surgery and anything from 30-300 stitches inside you, everybody is healing differently, I am into my 4th week and still cramping whereas some are back driving after 10 days, pleased you found us, as the sisters are all really helpful and supportive, remember not to rush your recovery as you only heal right once, I too think my ovaries should of gone but again as I'm 33 doc didn't want to. Take care hun x
Unread 02-08-2012, 06:16 AM
Re: Feeling crampy 2 weeks post op - normal?

Two weeks out is still pretty early days. Your body has so much healing to do. I am 8 weeks out and still have days that where I can tell there is more going on in there than others. I have one ovary and have noticed a little cramping around the time of my period. Thinking this might just be muscle memory cramping. Nothing major though, and it was barely noticeable this month.

It sound like your surgery was more invasive than originally thought, so I would expect that you would be sore longer than those whose surgery was straight forward.

Hang in there, watch a bunch of movies, walk a little often, and allow your body plenty of time to recover.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway