HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Urinating pain after hysterectomy Urinating pain after hysterectomy

Unread 02-18-2012, 01:20 AM
Urinating pain after hysterectomy

Hi, i am 18 days post op vaginal hysterectomy and im having a lot of discomfort when i wee, there is no burning and no infection however towards the end of emptying my bladder i get pain and discomfort in my pelvic area.

Has anyone had the same thing and does anyone know what is causing it?

Unread 02-18-2012, 03:20 AM
Re: Urinating pain after hysterectomy

Yes - I had that for about 8-10 weeks at least!

If it is not a UTI (and mine never was) I think it is caused by the bladder pulling down on internal stitches as it empties, or something like that.
I did ask about it at my 6 week check-up and was told that discomfort was connected with the surgical procedure. Not much of an explanation, but clearly the surgeon had heard this concern a thousand times so was a bit dismissive. He said not to worry - it would pass.
I thought it never would go, but it did, gradually.
I suspect that is what you are experiencing, but if you are worried, or it is really bad, check it out with your doc. You are still at a very early stage, and there can be all sorts of weird and worrying pains during the recovery period.
You won't know yourself in about 3 months time - reckon you will be feeling heaps better!
Unread 02-18-2012, 07:46 AM

Hi, I also have the same thing and am also 18 days post-op for TAH. Lately though I've noticed that it's starting to lessen and not feel so nasty. I was told that it's due to the bladder being irritated by the catheter and the changes inside from the surgery.
Unread 03-04-2012, 09:34 PM

Whew! I'm glad to know others have this feeling. I am 16 days post op and it is the only thing bothering me. I'm glad to know it is normal and it will go away eventually.
Unread 03-04-2012, 09:44 PM

I have the same thing and I'm 7 weeks post op. It has gotten better slowly during this recovery process but the pain at this point comes and goes.
Unread 03-04-2012, 09:48 PM

I am so glad that you asked that question. I am 23 days post op and I was wondering the same thing. I did have a bladder sling in addition to the hysterectomy and I was wondering if it was normal to have discomfort (my urine showed no sign of infection at my one week post op appointment). It doesn't happen everytime that I urinate...only a few times a day. I am so glad to know that I am not the only one!!!
Unread 03-07-2012, 07:19 PM

My hysterectomy was yesterday and the wee part has been horrible. Last night it was like my bladder was still asleep, however, when I tried to wee I had to stain and it would burn and hurt like heck.

I think it may have been because the surgeon removed most, if not all, of my organs through the vagina and that area is very tender and irritated.
And because my uterus was much larger than he expected, he said he really had trouble getting it out. Therefore, my poor vagina must have had to really stretch.

It was really hard to wee last night through the pain, but I was told if I could not wee enough, they would have to use a catheter to help me empty my bladder. Believe me, that was all it took to make myself go! Thankfully today has been a little better and I was able to produce enough to be released to go home.
Unread 03-07-2012, 08:01 PM

I also had similar symptoms. Mostly my bladder would ache all the time but as it filled it would hurt. So I was constantly peeing and it would feel good to get rid of that pressure but at the same time it hurt. Urinalysis and CT scan normal. I think our bladders don't appreciate much getting jostled during surgery. I thought it would never go away but it did very gradually.
Unread 03-07-2012, 08:13 PM

I have the discomfort as well at 3 weeks post op. I just got my ability to pee on my own back though. it's very wierd. I don't care though. I can take a little discomfort down there as long as I can pee!! My back still hurts alot though.
Unread 03-08-2012, 03:30 PM

I was having pain too. My doctor told me to get AZO Urinary relief, which is over the counter. It turns your pee red and will turn eye contacts red too. I used it once and it helped with the spasms/pain. I would check with your doctor before trying this to make sure there it doesn't interfere or cause problems with other meds you are on.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.