BSO on March 21, 2012 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

BSO on March 21, 2012 BSO on March 21, 2012

Unread 02-19-2012, 04:54 PM
BSO on March 21, 2012

I had a partial LAVH in January 2009. My uterus and cervix were removed. I also had my bladder and rectum put back in place with mesh. My Ovaries and Fallopian tubes have fallen to fill the space where my uterus was and have become stuck to the top of my vagina causing horrible pain! Now my Ob-Gyn has to go and remove my ovaries and tubes. I am getting nervous and scared. I am worried about the menopause.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Re: Hysterectomy on Feb 22, 2012

Surgical menopause is different for everyone. I am 46, and thought that I could do it without the hormones. I was very wrong. I was so miserable with the wool blanket brain, the 25 to 30 hot flushes a day, numerous night sweats and horrible insomnia. I went to my GP and said HELP!!!!! She put me on low dose ERT and I am much better.

My advice is to see what happens with you. Some women have no problem with menopause without HRT/ERT and some need the hormones. BUT the good news is is there is time to see what happens. Also be aware that it can take some tinkering with the meds to get it right.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 02-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Re: BSO on Feb 22, 2012

I just wanna wish you good luck and if you would keep in touch let us know how you're doing I'd appreciate it. I'm going in to have my right ovary removed on march 15th did you re occuring cysts and pain. I am 44 I will be 45 in July... I too am scared about losing my last ovary and having to start HRT but I'm more afraid of being in pain any longer... ready to move on. good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2012, 08:11 AM

I am 7 weeks post op and had both my ovaries removed. Marestail is right surgical menopause is different for everyone. I was put on low dose Estrogen patch at day 6, and have done great on it so far. Just a couple very mild hot flashes, and that has been the worst of it. Feeling really good, and thankful I had it done
Unread 02-20-2012, 08:23 AM
BSO on March 21, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by China2000 View Post
I am 7 weeks post op and had both my ovaries removed. Marestail is right surgical menopause is different for everyone. I was put on low dose Estrogen patch at day 6, and have done great on it so far. Just a couple very mild hot flashes, and that has been the worst of it. Feeling really good, and thankful I had it done
It's comforting to hear you say you were thankful that you did the surgery. may I ask what your circumstances where? had you had a hysterectomy before and left your ovaries?
Unread 02-20-2012, 04:57 PM

Just had BSO this week and am 37 and worried about how long I'll have to take Estrogen and Progesterone. Anyone familiar with the long term side effects w/ surgical menopause? My dr says no side affects, but that is hard to believe? Any info is greatly appreciated. I can't find anyone that has had both ovaries and fallopian tubes removed under 40 yrs old. I'm scared.
Unread 02-20-2012, 07:19 PM

I am going to use supplements instead of HRT. My Doctor even sent me home with a pamplet of what supplements are good for menopause. I am 35 and am having my fallopian tubes and ovaries removed Wednesday.
Unread 02-20-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetred17 View Post
Just had BSO this week and am 37 and worried about how long I'll have to take Estrogen and Progesterone. Anyone familiar with the long term side effects w/ surgical menopause? My dr says no side affects, but that is hard to believe? Any info is greatly appreciated. I can't find anyone that has had both ovaries and fallopian tubes removed under 40 yrs old. I'm scared.
I know it is scary. I am 46, also in surgical menopause - not how we planned it, is it? I am also on extra supplements and ERT as I discussed above. I put a notice out to the other hostesses - we may have some who are in a similar circumstance as you.
Unread 02-21-2012, 07:22 AM

There is plenty of bad information floating around out there about HRT. The side affects from no estrogen IMHO are far worse than any from it. Hot flashes are not the problem--heart disease, osteoporosis, depression--to name a few are the problems of surgical menopause at an early age. Early age meaning pre menopause. Your body would be producing estrogen if you still had your ovaries. Here is a good video from HS's video library discussing the risks of cardiovascular disease.

Please make sure you do your research before deciding to not replace something your body needs. Some women can't do HRT but if you don't have contraindications you should consider it. My doc says it's good for me.
I'm 59 and plan on taking it for a long time.

Unread 02-21-2012, 07:29 AM

thanks for the information. I know I want to take it I'm just not sure what form to take it in. so many options, so many choices, so many decisions... it is confusing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register