HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

HELP!  Weight gain after surgical menopause HELP! Weight gain after surgical menopause

Unread 01-04-2002, 07:35 AM
HELP! Weight gain after surgical menopause

Hello everyone,
I'm new here and am very thankful that I found the Hystersisters! I had breast cancer 2 1/2 years ago at age 36. Then at age 37 I had a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy with Oophorectomy. The surgical menopausal symptoms began almost immediately after my surgery. The hot flashes and night sweats are the worst. But I have a new concern recently. I can't seem to lose any weight, no matter what I do. In the past year a lot of my weight has been redistributed to my stomach and I hate it! I read that lack of estrogen can cause this and also make it more difficult to lose weight. Does anyone have any information on this subject? I guess what I want to find out is if it is AT ALL POSSIBLE to lose weight/trim the tummy without hormone replacement therapy? Thanks so much.
Unread 01-05-2002, 06:43 AM
ME TOO

Hi Vickie, I also had breast cancer in '95. Then endometrial and hyst last year. Gained about 12 pounds and definitely have noticed a redistribution of weight. Never carried in my stomach. Waited for swelly belly to disappear but don't think it will. Took my measurments after the New Year and was shocked at my waist size. Started WW diet on my own and dropped a bit already (water weight). Seeing my gyn soon and will ask about this weight distribution bit and the very low back and hip pains I have during the night and my changed nails. What will she say???
Also trying some exercise. Have a feeling efforts will help but that it won't be quite the same and will require vigilance.
SUSKI
Unread 01-08-2002, 10:51 AM
weight gain

Thanks for your reply to my post. I think I have a double-edged sword though. I gained 40 lbs during and after chemo for breast cancer and then had my hysterectomy almost a year later I think making it almost impossible to lose the weight I had gained. I did recently read that estrogen deficiency can cause an appetite increase. Supposedly, estrogen has some affect on appetite as well. That could explain my situation in part. I was always underweight which makes my problem even more difficult. I can't take the hormone replacement because the breast cancer was highly estrogen receptor positive. :confuse:
Unread 01-08-2002, 01:12 PM

Anything you guys find out would be helpful to me too. I can't take estrogen for 3 to 6 months due to endometriosis. I feel like my eating is out of control and can't start exercising since I am only 4 weeks post op. I too have always been underweight until endo got real bad. I hate this!
Unread 01-09-2002, 04:50 AM

Vickie, After my breast cancer and CMF (chemo), my oncologist wanted me to go to a nutritionist so that I'd follow a low fat, high protein diet. I'd gained 26 pounds since diagnosis and had wanted to lose 10 pounds before that. The nutritionist said that chemically induced weight gain is hard to take off. Also, I was on tamoxifen and that causes weight gain. I was able to take off the 36 pounds at that time.
You've got a double - whammy with the hyst just a year after the bc. Are you also on tamoxifen? And was your hyst due to endometrial cancer like mine was? Perhaps a nutritionist would help.

SUSKI
LAVH/BSO 12/21/00
Endometrial Cancer
Unread 01-09-2002, 06:01 AM
HELP weight gain after surgical menopause

Yes, I take Tamoxifen also. I realize that is a contributing factor. After being on Tamoxifen for only four months, I had developed some very suspicious looking complex ovarian cysts. They had a "malignant" appearance and I also had an elevated CA125. So with the breast cancer history my doctor and I felt it best to remove everything to be sure there was no cancer there. Thank goodness there was not. All benign.
Unread 01-09-2002, 05:27 PM

Wish I had an answer for you, but I have also gained weight that I can`t seem to shed. I am exercising, mainly stretching, for fibromyalgia that my Physical Therapist has me following. I don`t have an increased appetite...I actually eat less, fill up faster. I think its the surgical menopause and no HRT, too.'

But how do we combat it? I wish I knew. I have just started a salad routine that I plan on following. I do alot of baking but I don`t eat it. I take it to work. I figure if I fatten them all up, I might look skinny standing next to them. Just kidding...but I am beginning to think you can gain weight by inhaling calories.

Maybe its those fattening vitamins, huh?

{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.