HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Do you bleed right after a hysterectomy?  If so, how long? How heavy? Do you bleed right after a hysterectomy? If so, how long? How heavy?

Unread 01-05-2002, 12:15 AM
Do you bleed right after a hysterectomy? If so, how long? How heavy?

I'm asking this in pre-op only because I will be putting together a bag of things to take to the castle pretty soon. Here is my list so far:

Big comfy pg's
Chapstick
Toothbrush/paste
Hairbrush/scrunchie
Underwear(I wear a 5, what size should I bring?)
Lotion
Pads(which leads to my question. How many? What size? Right now I wear 2 huge overnight poise bladder control pads at a time to keep my periods where they belong. I haven't worn a normal pad in 3 years)
Bar of soap
Shampoo
Blowdryer
Candy to suck on
Deodorant
Socks
Slippers
Maybe my robe? I get cold wherever I go no matter what the temp...

I'm having brainfreeze... Did I leave anything out? Should I eliminate anything from my list? I'm having an abdominal hyst. with a bikini cut, if that makes any difference.... I've heard that you have less vaginal bleeding with a TAH rather than a VH. Of course, I had this dream of waking up clean and not fussing with pads, but perhaps this is not the case?
Unread 01-05-2002, 01:32 AM

Julie

I had TAH LSO 12/12. When I went to hospital I had my periods and was bleeding heavy on the day of surgery.

After surgery I have very minimal bleeding. Surgery was on the Wednesday and by Friday I didn't even have to wear a pad. All bleeding had stopped. But just keep in mind everyone is different.

Your list is quite good. I can't think of anything to add to it other than something to read. You may feel up to it.

Regards and best wishes for your surgery.
Unread 01-05-2002, 05:05 AM
Hello

Sounds like you are ready!!!!!!

I am like Bucckie I also had my period when I went into the hospital. By the time I went home NOTHING and I have never spotted once since!!!!!!

each person is different but that is what happened to me

Good luck!
Unread 01-05-2002, 06:00 AM

Julie..your list is great. If you wear a size 5 underwear you may want to up it a couple of sizes and since you are having a bikini cut you probably won't want bikini undies. They might irritate your incision.

I had a TVH and bled very lightly just for a few days. I think this is different for each person. I took my regular (what I called) mattress pads with the adhesive backs. I don't think you will need your Poises. I think mine were the Super Overnighters because I liked the length on those.

You are a well-prepared soon to be punctured ! Sending s!

Sherry
Unread 01-05-2002, 06:34 AM

Sounds like you are well prepared to become a .

I didn't have any bleeding or discharge the first day or so and wished I had brought my own pads. The ones the hospital gave me were too HUGE. If I had it to do over again, I'd have taken maybe a long thin maxi since you don't know how much bleeding, if any, that you will have.

A friend brought me a Tootsie Roll Pop and it was very nice for the dry mouth brought on by the meds. If you do like I did & doze off at the drop of a hat on everyone from the meds, something with a stick attached might come in handy. Please be careful not to choke on the little kind of candy you suck on. I once dozed off with the sucker in my mouth & woke up to find it lying on my chest.

Taking a robe is a good idea. Not only will it be nice to have if you're cold, but also for walking in the halls.

Come back and let us know how everything goes once you feel up to it.
Unread 01-05-2002, 08:25 AM

I brought all types of my own pads when I went to the hospital (boy, was I prepared LOL) and I never even had to open any of the new packages. After my surgery, I had a little bleeding for about two days and that was it! I couldn't believe it was GONE!! After all the awful bleeding and huge clots I had suffered from - GONE and so QUICKLY! Funny thing is, I had bled for so long prior to my surgery, that I wore a panty liner for a few weeks after the operation just out of pure paranoia LOL! I kept thinking to myself, this was too good to be true, but it was! Never needed it - never bled or had any discharge at all after a few days! You've made a good list there, not sure I could add anything to it. If anything, I brought too much. I brought a number of magazines that I never even looked at. The first day or so, I didn't feel up to it, and then by the time I felt better, I was having visitors, my kids were there, I was watching tv, talking on the phone, and then I was home before I knew it! The one thing I wished I had brought but didn't know about it before was candy for the nurses. They were terrific. After my surgery, I saw people on here who brought candy. So that's the one thing I would have added to my list. Good luck!
Unread 01-05-2002, 10:08 AM

I had a tvh and didn't bleed at all. However, I wore pads for a few weeks expecting that I would . You are wise however to bring your own, because hospital pads are from the 70's! hahaha! Good luck to you on your surgery and I hope you have a speedy and uneventful recovery!
Unread 01-05-2002, 10:17 AM
Pads or not?

I do believe each person is different. I had a tah and had very little bleeding in fact after the first day (surgery day) I didn't bleed or discharge any I wore a pad but it was just in case. I also was starting my period when I went in so mine went alway completely. I had a biniki cut. I had a over hang so that was the only trouble and even that wasn't bad. you are well on your way with that list. Wish I had been so prepared. we are always here. God Bless and ask those questions. pre-op is the place since you are a . s for now.
Unread 01-05-2002, 10:28 AM
ahahahaha

I got a good giggle out of these posts! Thanks... I'll be heeding all the advice about the pads. My period is *supposed* to be over a few days before the surgery, ha, we shall see... Thanks for the advice on the undies and getting suckers. I'm glad you brought that up. I was going to get jolly ranchers. I do fall asleep at the drop of a hat, so no small stickless candies for moi... I'll add a book to my list, too... OMGOODNESS!!!! I just realized that my surgery is on a Thursday! Thursday = ER. Oh man, I will tell my husband to set the recorder. Can't miss that show... No way! =o)

Thanks again!
Unread 01-05-2002, 10:45 AM

Hi, Julie! I had very scant bleeding right after my hyst, but then as the stitches start to dissolve 10-14 days after that, you may have more bleeding or spotting for a couple weeks. As long as it isn't bright red or heavy, you don't need to worry. Also, don't forget your tummy pillow! I used to carry mine everywhere for a few weeks. And for when you get home, it's great to have a shower chair (a light-weight plastic patio chair works well). Showers feel so good, but you get very tired and maybe even feel light-headed after awhile, so you need a place to sit. ( Put a small towel across the seat.) I used my shower chair for 5 weeks. Ladies who have a vag hyst might not need as large of undies as those with abd hyst, but mine were 2 sizes larger than normal and I used them for a couple months, so get 6 or 7. Also, I didn't use a hair dryer for about a week--just let it air dry so you don't get too tired out. Sounds like you're getting prepared to be a pampered princess! Good luck and best wishes!
Ruthie

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.