HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Do you bleed right after a hysterectomy?  If so, how long? How heavy? Do you bleed right after a hysterectomy? If so, how long? How heavy?

Unread 01-05-2002, 10:52 AM
Hey Kittencuddles?

What is this overhang I have read about? I've had 2 c-sections and know what that is like. I went home with a pretty flat stomach both times, but did have a little *shelf* right above my incision, but that was from my preggy belly still going down.. You'd think with them just removing organs with a hyst., that your tummy would be the same as before the surgery, yanno? I guess I'm a little confused on why this happens... Is it mostly just swelling? Does it ever go back to normal? Will I get my flat tummy back again someday? Have I asked you enough questions yet?
Unread 01-05-2002, 11:08 AM
Do you bleed right after a hysterectomy? If so, how long? How heavy?

Wow, glad I came in today and started reading. I too have been wondering about the bleeding afterwards. All this information is soooo very helpful. My surgery is still on for the 10th. My DH is home cleaning while I'm finishing some things at work for my replacement. I have decided that I will try to keep my ovaries unless I have endo really bad. I am a little nervous because I'm not sure what he will find in there. I will go home this afternoon, get my stuff together, make last minute preparations for them at home, then try to relax and be on a light diet for the rest of the week. My pre-op appt. is on the 8th. There Doc told me we would discuss everything about the procedures, etc. Is there anything I SHOULD do or not do before surgery?
Thanks for all your support.
Unread 01-05-2002, 11:35 AM
Things to have

Julie,
I haven't had my surgery yet, but I have started my list
of things to take to the hospital and to have at home.
Since my hyst will be done vaginally, I will only need to be in the
hospital for 24 hours, if all goes as planned.

However, I still have to think about the recovery period.
When you listed big pj's, I'm assuming that you mean tops
and bottoms ? If so, will these be comfortable to get in and
out of ? I usually wear pj's around the house and figure that
I might not want to wear them right after surgery.
Soooo, I added nightgowns or nightshirts to my list. I'm looking for ones that are long-sleeved (so elbows won't get chaffed after
laying around so much) and knee-length (no chance of tripping
over or stepping on it!). Besides all the obvious things you'll
need to stock up at home (laundry detergeant, soap, etc.),
I've also added stamps and Thank You notes to my list. I wanted
to pick these out myself instead of relying on my husband (and
his poor taste) to pick them out for me !!

Good luck. I'll be praying for you and your recovery.

Take care,
Dawn
Unread 01-06-2002, 12:54 AM
swelly belly

Julie, Unfortunately, most of us have swelly belly after a hyst, more so with a TAH, and it can make you look pregnant for awhile (LOL)! If you go up to the top of the page under "search" and type in "swelly belly" you'll find many pages of threads on this subject. The swelling goes down after a few weeks, but it can pop up again if you overdo activity or are on your feet for too long. It also accumulates during the day so that in the morning your tummy may be pretty flat, but by the end of the day it will be swollen again. This is just the body reacting to all the trauma of surgery (cutting and pulling and stitching) and to the healing work going on. Many sisters here can't wear tight jeans all day for even up to a year, since that is how long healing can take. Hope that doesn't discourage you, but maybe it will help to expect that and be nice to your body as you heal. A TAH is not similar to a c-section except for the same type incision on the outside! Plan on wearing loose clothing for a couple months, and resting a lot for 6-8 weeks. Keep asking your questions as you think of things! Best wishes
Ruthie
Unread 01-06-2002, 01:34 AM
Thank you Ruthie! =o)

That was a very informative and helpful post. You answered my question in total and then some.... I'm lucky I don't like jeans
I live in comfy clothes, draw string pants and tanks or t-shirts, or my pj's... I stay at home with my kids, so I don't really get dressed for the day, persay...hehe I just shower, do my hair, brush my teeth and put on my comfys... Sooooo, I should have no problem with a transition of clothes and it doesn't sound like I'll have to buy any, either. I hear you on the swelled belly. That makes sense that if you overdo it, it will swell and give ya *fits*... I'll be sure to rest as much as I can...

Thanks for the explanation! It was a truly helpful post.

s to you!!
Unread 01-06-2002, 10:30 AM
packin and glorious pads

ohmygosh Emma Mattress pads w/ adhesive! Over the years, I have seen every commercial for the latest, coolest, most adsorbent sanitary napkin or tampon made. How about those new super absorbent hidden gel layer 1mm thick that will keep you fresh and dry? Not unless they put 20 of those gel layers on top of eachother which would make it too thick to sell. And WINGS! Only if they were attatched to a flyin pig would that work. Wings for me meant that instead of it being a 50/50 chance of soaking thru to my panties before I could reach a bathroom, it flowed directly over onto my clothing! Oh, what about the mixed box of tampons? Some teenytiny ones for the light days...the problem with the sell here...WHAT light days? How about those minithins? Here's the clue for me, if I can fit the entire bag of pads into my palm, it's not for me. Now if I need a buggy to get checked out with my purchase ..its probably made for a woman like me.
I have yet to see ONE commercial that is made for a woman like me.
If they truly wanted to sell to me they'd come out with "Go Go Gadget Pads" It would stop you wherever you are and tunnel a canal directly into the ground for drainage through to the grand canyon (yup, with those ladies smiling happily from above in thier hover-rounds never knowing the difference).

As for my packing, its light.
I am using thier gowns.
pillow of my own and blanky
tooth and hair brush
hairthangies
socks and slippers
robe
chapstick
lotion
clothes to wear home that are super large and comfy
pads (already on my period to the megasupersuperones)

Ok gals ...must get back to cleaning. This was a fun stop tho.

Unread 01-06-2002, 10:49 AM
what to pack

Don't over do on what you take to the hospital - remember you have to bring it all home- most hospitals have tooth brush , deoderant, shampoo, etc. My dh had to carry all my stuff, plus the flowers I received - etc. didn't have an arm left for me. 99% of the stuff I took never got out of the bag. A hair dryer and makeup is nice. Get grandma breif panties - if your hospital has disposable briefs - use them at the hospital- you don't have to worry about ruining your own.

Surgery on a Wed. no flow by Fri. none since.
Best of luck
Unread 01-06-2002, 11:58 AM

Charity... love your post... good luck on Tuesday.
Unread 01-06-2002, 12:46 PM
do's and don'ts

Hi, Snow! I've been thinking of do's and dont's before surgery and I've come up with a few. Don't shave your belly or bikini area as you might have little nicks that could have tiny infections, which could lead your dr to cancel surgery to prevent any infection getting into your insides! Don't take a lot of aspirin or ibuprofen the week before, since they "thin" the blood and that could cause more bleeding during surgery (tell your dr if you've had pain and needed to take meds). Also some herbal remedies have this blood-thinning effect. Look at the thread about this subject. Don't exhaust yourself cleaning house, even though most of us get the "cleaning bug" knowing we won't be able to do heavy housework for at least 6 weeks. Save your energy for recovery and healing. Do line up help for the first couple weeks--family or friends or maybe even a cleaning service for the house. Stock up on easy to prepare foods (frozen dinners, etc.). Think positive thoughts and prepare to be a pampered princess! Best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 01-06-2002, 12:59 PM

Thank you for the info. I have been having headaches, but I'm trying to fight them off by not taking anything for them, as I thought about the thinning of the blood. As far as the house goes, my DH did most of that yesterday. I have 3 more days until I have my surgery. So, after that, I will be pampered!!!! Thank you for the suggestions.
Hugs
Snow

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.