HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

question about what to expect question about what to expect

Unread 02-28-2012, 08:16 PM
question about what to expect

Hi everyone. this is my first post. im 31 and in 13days will have my surgery. I am a little lost. If everything goes as planned it will just be a laparoscopic one. But i dont know what to expect pain wise. does anyone know? i seem to just find info on the abdominal surgery post op pain.

i do have a plan in place. my husband and my sister will be here to help.
Unread 02-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Re: question about what to expect

Hi charity,

Welcome! I to will be having my surgery on the 13th at 1:00, after reading many posts I've come to the conclusion each persons pain level is different, but everyone says the first few hours tends to be the worst, a friend of mine just had her surgery yesterday and she said the first 2-3 hours were uncomfortable but it got better after that as long as she took the pain medicine on time. Today she is feeling better so I'm hoping for the same

Now I'm just focusing on cleaning the house planning meals and getting all my stuff for the hospital and afterwards ready trying to stay busy tends to help keep my mind off of surgery.

I started "my friend" today wow my last period what a relief knowing this will be the last one I look at it this way some discomfort after surgery has to be better then what I've been experiencing pain wise each month.

We are strong women ! Remember that! This site has been a god sent really read thru it you will get some valuable information! Remember you are not alone! I will pray for you on the day of surgery as well as after for a speedy recovery!

Same day surgery sister ! Remember your not alone!

Keep smiling!
Unread 02-28-2012, 08:50 PM

Thanks Jen,

Seems like we have a bit in common. I started my last period yesterday, and spent most of today in pain. A good way to remind me why this is my only true option. I had an ablation done in Oct, which didn't work.

I am a type 2 diabetic. So i am wondering how that will affect my recovery. I do have many doctors appts next week, including my diabetes doc to ask him what he thinks.

I am lucky enough to be able to give myself 2 solid weeks of recovery time with my sister here. and from what i've read on here that a good amount.

i hope yours goes well! i'll be thinking of you, surgery sister!
Charity
Unread 02-28-2012, 09:03 PM

I had a TAH BSO, and my pain level was moderate to severe. I was on narcotics and 600 mg Motrin to control the pain for the first four days, and then was on 600 mg Motrin for three and half weeks after that.

Everyone does have a different pain level experience, but the pain is normally controllable. It is important to be very honest with your doc about your pain level. You heal better when your body is not dealing with the pain.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 02-28-2012, 10:24 PM

I had an epidural in me for the first two days and felt nothing at all, I came out of surgery completely clear headed and had no nausea at anytime during my stay. I was given morphine tablets every 3 hours when needed. The epidural pump was set up just like the morphine drips are, and I pressed it when I needed some relief. I was able to walk around pushing the IV pole too.

I DREADED the pain prior to surgery but like I said before, I never once felt any type of pain.
Unread 02-28-2012, 11:43 PM

I only had pain when I moved. It wasn't in the uterine area, it was up at the incision areas. I think it is bruised muscles. I have only been taking Motrin since I got home.
Unread 02-29-2012, 07:14 AM

charity!!

Everyone is different and has their own tolerances to pain. The key to to stay ahead of the pain from the beginning. Don't be afraid to take you meds, that's what they are prescribed for.

If you want to try to get a better idea of other sisters' experiences with your hysterectomy type you can look at the Laparoscopic Hysterectomy Stories . Maybe that will give you a better idea of what to expect for that type of surgery.

I wish you in your surgery and hoping for a smooth recovery for you as well!!!

Unread 02-29-2012, 07:35 AM

Hi Charity,
Everyone is different, just as others have said. I did my best to not read the horror stories on here. I have always been pretty healthy and hoped I would recover quickly. I did! Went back to work after 2 weeks, was driving myself. I am now 6 weeks post op and started hiking last week... I sometimes forget I had the surgery. You're young and hopefully you will bounce back quickly.

Good Luck!! God Speed!

Diane
Unread 02-29-2012, 08:20 AM

I am 3/13 hystersister too!!
I get my moments of nervousness, then I get my thank god this is finally going to happen and i will feel better once it is over days!

I have found a ton of information on this site, there is a pre op checklist that has helped me a ton. There is a list of suggested questions to ask your doctor too!

I will be praying for you my sisters. have a great couple of weeks before surgery. I plan to
Unread 02-29-2012, 08:26 AM

Really not much pain *unless* you forget to take your meds on time or do something you're not supposed to.

I don't ever remember having screaming "stubbed my toe" type pain, just a dull ache.... that ache was *nothing* compared to cramps! :-)

Don't fret too much, the hospital and your Dr will do a great job managing pain.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway